Ubisoft Defends, Then Changes Anno DRM

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Carnagath said:
Why do people keep buying Ubisoft games for the PC? I thought that through their infantile verbal shit-swinging and their "HAHAHA, YOU BOUGHT OUR GAME, WELL FUCK YOU" approach to DRM, pc gamers would have gotten the message by now.
because the games are actually good, unlike, say, EA games.
and here i was wondering when will they start hashing computer id for DRM, turns out they already did :D now all we need is for online games to ban computer id instead of IP and we got control of the internets.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
They did apparently say that with a call to customer support, you could get the game to function again on a different PC hardware configuration. It's not that bad for us really.
Well, the system is in place to prevent it being installed multiple times, and their service is supposed to be a barrier. Maybe they invested a lot of money in it working perfectly. Maybe it just takes a single email that is automatically replied to in minutes once a check has been performed that this particular copy hasn't had 3 new activation requests within a week. But I'm not putting 50 euros on a bet that it all works so smoothly. If I run out of activations once I do own the game, I'll try to ask for more. But I'm not buying it on the assumption that I'll get it with no problems. Hope for the best, but expect the worst. Ubisoft hasn't earned more credit than that in my book.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Jimmybobjr said:
I have purchaces Anno 2070 On Steam.

I have played About 50 hours into it.

I have not had a single problem, at all, with playing my game.

Sooooo....

Ubisoft wins.
Can you really be that uninformed? If so then yes, Ubisoft wins.
As they say, you cant shear a shepherd.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
PingoBlack said:
Jimmybobjr said:
I have purchaces Anno 2070 On Steam.

I have played About 50 hours into it.

I have not had a single problem, at all, with playing my game.

Sooooo....

Ubisoft wins.
Can you really be that uninformed? If so then yes, Ubisoft wins.
As they say, you cant shear a shepherd.
Do you have any Ubisoft DRM game? Do you have any trouble with it? Please, enlighten me.

If not, then i would say im more informed than you. I have Assassins creed 1+2 on steam - no trouble, whatsoever.

Anno 2070-Nothing whatsoever.

So...

I have played 3 Ubisoft games for atleast 20 hours a piece, with no trouble. from that avalable information, i would be forced to assume that there is no problem

Personaly, i dont count the dozen-or-so people above me as reliable sources of information. So i ignore them.
(also, i cant say that ive ever heard the "Shear the Shepard" Thing above... ever. A quick google search seems to imply that infact no-one uses it. I mean, litteraly. The first three results are a Medical website, a Life of Birian movie clip and "101 Sheep Jokes".
Also, its confuses me.)

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
What I don't understand is why do people continue to buy games from Ubisoft only to spend time bitching about the DRM. Just don't buy it. Don't pirate, but don't buy it.

There is no point wishing for Ubisoft's demise because they are not going out-of-business anytime soon as long as gamers continue to buy from them. In fact, often it sounds like, according to Ubisoft, at least, their business is doing better than ever.

Personally, I will not buy an Ubisoft game, no matter how interesting it may be. I have been looking for a good SimCity replacement(EA has screwed that game up badly, IMO), and Anno looked like exactly what I was looking for(for reference, I learned about the game on Steam). The futuristic setting, nice graphics, interesting gameplay. It was everything I could have wanted and more. Then I looked over and saw it was made by Ubisoft. Instantaneously, all desire for the game vanished. There is no game or game concept I would buy into if it comes from Ubisoft. They could develop "god in a box", and I would not buy it. I wouldn't pirate, but I would not buy it.

Just say "NO!" to Ubisoft.

EDIT: removed some indirect, potentially personal attacks against those who buy Ubisoft games.