Ubisoft Files Assassin's Creed Counter-Suit

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Bam! Nip that shit in the bud. As much as I'll still be grumbling about AC:R up until launch of AC3, I don't want anything to interrupt one of the most successful and creative IPs in gaming. Tangential relations to an obscure work of science fiction that was marginalized is no reason to stall a well-developed series.

Why no, I'm not biased at all.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm glad Ubisoft didn't come out demanding a crazy sum of money along with the protection. Just legal fees, which is reasonable, and anything else the court may find appropriate. Meaning the court may not award anything, so that's that. I think Ubisoft is playing level now, and hopefully they'll stay that way and win this.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm getting rather tired of all these court cases in gaming. I swear in the past few years there's been way more than there used to be. I can't remember anything really happening before the past few years or so when suddenly we have loads of these going on.

We have this stuff with Bethesda and the Fallout MMO, the whole "Scrolls" thing, the Infinity Ward vs. Activision case, Epic vs. Silicon Knights, loads of patent infringement claims, and this whole mess too. Can't they all just forget all these pedantic dick waggling contests and get on with doing what this medium is supposed to be about? Having fun. No-one really wins these things anyway. It's just corporations trying to screw each other over.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Scrustle said:
I'm getting rather tired of all these court cases in gaming. I swear in the past few years there's been way more than there used to be. I can't remember anything really happening before the past few years or so when suddenly we have loads of these going on.

We have this stuff with Bethesda and the Fallout MMO, the whole "Scrolls" thing, the Infinity Ward vs. Activision case, Epic vs. Silicon Knights, loads of patent infringement claims, and this whole mess too. Can't they all just forget all these pedantic dick waggling contests and get on with doing what this medium is supposed to be about? Having fun. No-one really wins these things anyway. It's just corporations trying to screw each other over.
There have tons of legal cases in the past involving the industry, you must of never read about them or they may have not been news worthy.

The guy is a sorta low level patent troll, he has a history of lawsuit against his so called inventions. I think he thought like a lot of other companies he sued, that Ubisoft would cave in and settle.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
He also sued GameTrailers from what I've been reading. Anyone know what that lawsuit was about? Why did they settle?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
"patently non-copyrightable elements"
silly ubisoft, it's 2012, we copyright individual lines of code.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
well, he started it, then he showed weakness (not having money), so ubisoft is doing the sensible thing by pressing the advantage (army of legal hounds) in order to resolve the situation on their terms

it's like feudal era japan all over again

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
weirdguy said:
well, he started it, then he showed weakness (not having money), so ubisoft is doing the sensible thing by pressing the advantage (army of legal hounds) in order to resolve the situation on their terms

I take it that, if Ubisoft win, this man must stop writing books and burn every published copy of his own work in a form of creative haru-kari?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
phoenix352 said:
Terminate421 said:
phoenix352 said:
the American Dream.
HAHAHAHAHA Did you even read where these are taking place?
whats that got to do with anything...
it was a swing at how people are suing each other for the dumbest things, you know just like Americans always do.
and since these lawsuits are what id call pretty damn stupid just like lawsuits in America i called it the American dream ....

and now that i had to explain it to you it isn't as funny anymore.
glad your happy with yourself.

captcha: pipe down... topical.
It wasn't funny before, it was a sad attempt at humor that is pretty bigoted especially considering Ubisoft is a predominantly Canadian company, with branches elsewhere.

But good try, America hater!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Thyunda said:
weirdguy said:

I take it that, if Ubisoft win, this man must stop writing books and burn every published copy of his own work in a form of creative haru-kari?
either that, or he becomes one of the vassals of another lord, or an exiled hermit

history has no time for the losers

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I don't normally cheer for Ubisoft, but they're not the bigger asshole here.

Get 'im!

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Non copyrightable elements hu?

Like the word "Scrolls"?

The guy is a complete moron who thought he could quickly abuse the legal system to get rich easily. However I'm equally as disgusted by the hypocrisy here. These are companies that will sure anyone if they create something that has even the closest resemblance to their product even if it is only the sharing of a single Word in the title.

Yet when the shoe is on the other foot it's all about "non-copyrightable elements".

There is allot of bullshit from the highest quality from both parties in this lawsuit.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
phoenix352 said:
Terminate421 said:
phoenix352 said:
the American Dream.
it was a swing at how people are suing each other for the dumbest things, you know just like Americans always do.
and since these lawsuits are what id call pretty damn stupid just like lawsuits in America i called it the American dream ....

It wasn't funny before, it was a sad attempt at humor that is pretty bigoted especially considering Ubisoft is a predominantly Canadian company, with branches elsewhere.

ignoring the few basic things i explained and attacking me personally because i don't share your illusion, how very American of you.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
that serves him right. ubisoft may have a crappy DRM, think that 95% of pc gamers are pirates but they still do good games in the end.
as long AC3 comes out in time, im happy.

thats really a smart move. bash this idiot to the ground that he cant get up anymore. im pretty sure ubisoft wins. they have more resources then him.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
phoenix352 said:
Frostbite3789 said:
phoenix352 said:
Terminate421 said:
phoenix352 said:
the American Dream.

ignoring the few basic things i explained and attacking me personally because i don't share your illusion, how very American of you.
I'm pretty sure attempting to start a flame war is against forum rules. Just a heads up

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
I've not been a fan of certain things Ubisoft has done, and I admit, the AC series doesn't really do much for me... that said, frak him up, Ubi. Frak him up hard. It's time assholes trying to pry what they can out of this industry from the outside learned what the cost of that is.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
phoenix352 said:
Frostbite3789 said:
phoenix352 said:
Terminate421 said:
phoenix352 said:
the American Dream.

I'm pretty sure attempting to start a flame war is against forum rules. Just a heads up

i didn't attempt to do anything but speak my mind , i posted a simple harmless sentence,they took it to seriously and lashed out in a very childish manner i don't need to explain how that isn't a "flame war attempt".

TheUsername0131

Mar 1, 2012
razer17 said:
I actually think this is really harsh action on Ubisofts behalf. The guy dismissed the lawsuit (although he can pick it up again) because he can't afford it, now Ubisoft are dragging him back in.

Ubisoft likes to play with its food.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It is a smart move. They want to insure that he can't sue them again if he ever gets enough money to continue the lawsuit. He has no money now, which makes it easier for Ubisoft to win. It's a good strategy. I would have done the same thing.