Ubisoft Games Unplayable During Server Switch

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
I see this as a net gain. Not only has Youbisoft managed to defeat piracy it has also given gamers what they truly need: some time away from the games.

Thank you Youbisoft.

P.S. I'm available as a PR rep.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
balberoy said:
I know why I stopped buying Ubisoft Games (and EA Games)...
That makes at least two of us ...

You know what's really sad about this? If they invested more money they could have built a new server farm, started it up, redirected it to original IP and then shut off the old one. So users would have max of about an hour downtime while IP is switched over.

Guess they are too poor for that.

Apr 28, 2008
Bernzz said:
The funny thing is, anyone playing a pirated copy won't be affected at all. All the DRM is affecting in this case are the paying customers.

Get the fuck with it, Ubisoft. Seriously.
Yep. All DRM does is, well I'll let this explain it.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
PingoBlack said:
balberoy said:
I know why I stopped buying Ubisoft Games (and EA Games)...
That makes at least two of us ...

You know what's really sad about this? If they invested more money they could have built a new server farm, started it up, redirected it to original IP and then shut off the old one. So users would have max of about an hour downtime while IP is switched over.

Guess they are too poor for that.
At least three. I did cancel my preorder of the PC version of AC:R, and I don't plan on getting any Ubisoft game for quite a while. hell, even EA is miles ahead of them in this regard, with their never finished games.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
How many of the same post can we get detailing how piracy is better because of lack of DRM?

It already makes up 75% of this thread, lets find out if the trend continues!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This is the very reason I'm boycotting UbiSoft's games, along with EA and ActiBlizzard and no, I'm not buying yer stinkin' consoles just to play them, I don't like any of their games anyway. Well, maybe except Rayman Origins, the best game Ubi has released since 2004.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Haz88 said:
Oh Ubisoft, of course you are right. This experience of not being able to play the games your costumers bought and paid for in no way makes cracking your DRM seem like a good idea.
Give it an hour. If the servers aren't back up by then, most people will have tracked down the crack.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
What's the incentive to not pirate from these guys again?, I forgot.

Woe to the legitimate customer. Le sigh, but our complaints will be like pissing in the wind

/cynicism

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
And how much will this affect anyone? You won't get to play AC:2 for about 3 hours? Oh that sounds horrible.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
balberoy said:
Hope those two will collapse, so I won't have to deal
with them in the future.
The scary thing is that if one publisher dies, it's probable that the others will grow to fill in the void.
What I described sounds like Highlander, but it's actually what happens when you get an oligopoly like this.

At this point, I can only pity anyone who still supports Ubisoft.

It's quite sad how some people continue defend that Crippleware when there is zero practical benefit to either Ubisoft (who has to pay to maintain those DRM servers) or the customer.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
NLS said:
And how much will this affect anyone? You won't get to play AC:2 for about 3 hours? Oh that sounds horrible.
It's not really much of an issue, if you ignore that Customers should never suffer for paying rather than stealing and whoever thinks that this DRM is fair should be dragged out to the streets for stonings.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I do buy Ubisoft games, but only after the DRM has been patched out (AssCreed2) or it is promised to not have any (From Dust, and yes I did rage). Now that Uplay or whatever it is called has an offline mode I could play Silent Hunter 5, but I won't but it until the DRM is patched out. Rainbow Six: Patriots will be my biggest test, but then again Ubisoft haven't managed to make a good Tom Clancy game besides Chaos Theory.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Y'know.. I actually HOPE that they have lots and lots of trouble and don't get their servers back online for several days. Watching Ubisoft squirm would be delightful :)

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Woodsey said:
Now, where's all those chumps defending Blizzard and Diablo 3?
because Blizzards servers just f**king work.. nuff said.. in the start when SC2 launhced (which also requires to be online all the time... as i recall.. no ?.. if no my bad sorry) never a single downtime on the online part whatsoever :)

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
What worries me is there is no definite time on how long this disruption might be. Wonder what the backlash will be it it'll take a week to get things back online. That would be an interesting valentine.

Uplay? - NO U CANNOT!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh look, here comes the anti-DRM and Ubisoft parade. Hey guys!

You know I kind of wonder what would happen if Steam ever happened to have its servers down for a day. Would everyone complain? Would they be fine with it since they like Steam? I know it has an offline mode but you couldn't buy or active new games or download games you own to play. With an increasing amount of focus on online components of games stuff like server condition is starting to become a big concern in game design.