Ubisoft is working on at least 2 games with female playable leads. Not BG&E2, though. :(

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
ERaptor said:
To be honest, i will only celebrate this after seeing if the games are actually good and there is meaning to the lead being female. May sound mean, but i know a whole lot of Stories where the Main-Character could've been a talking squirrel and it wouldnt have changed a damn thing. It would be nice if they actually tried to showcase the possiblities a female lead offers.
I don't think it's a good idea to be too fussy. If we don't buy games with female leads, even oversexualised and/or where gender is irrelevent to the plot, the AAA publishers are likely to abandon them.

Better to move in small stages. First the female protagonists. Then female protagonists with well rounded personalities. Then female protagonists with well rounded personalities that don't dress like whores. Then maybe we'll see female protagonists with well rounded personalities that don't dress like whores in stories where their gender is relevent. Keep buying them and hopefully they'll get better.

One thing we can avoid is another Beyond Good and Evil, where the publisher makes a quality game with a well rounded female protagonist who doesn't dress like a whore, then releases it in the dead of night with no advertising, removes it from the shelves before the sun rises and triumphantly proclaims that there is no market for female protagonists. We have the internet. We are connected. We will be there, and we will crowbar the shop doors open, leave $60 on the counter and take our copies

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Lilani said:
Dev has to fight tooth and nail for a female protagonist, gamers be like, "OMG devs why don't you like females?!"

Dev opts for a female protagonist with no hassle, gamers be like, "Why should I give a rat's ass?"

Come on guys, make up your mind.
You can't really generalise like this. Your statement requires it to be the same people complaining on both front to be true.

OT: As for why some say this situation doesn't warrant anything more than a regular glance it's because they don't care one way or another, the gender of the main character doesn't matter.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
>>> Enters thread with the low hope to see BGAE 2
>>> Not BGAE 2
>>> Fail

Well its not like it was going to happen anyway, I mean I didnt even thougt about this at all! LOL

Oh yeah... about the thread... Well good for... the industry I guess...

kk

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bad Jim said:
ERaptor said:
To be honest, i will only celebrate this after seeing if the games are actually good and there is meaning to the lead being female. May sound mean, but i know a whole lot of Stories where the Main-Character could've been a talking squirrel and it wouldnt have changed a damn thing. It would be nice if they actually tried to showcase the possiblities a female lead offers.
I don't think it's a good idea to be too fussy. If we don't buy games with female leads, even oversexualised and/or where gender is irrelevent to the plot, the AAA publishers are likely to abandon them.

Better to move in small stages. First the female protagonists. Then female protagonists with well rounded personalities. Then female protagonists with well rounded personalities that don't dress like whores. Then maybe we'll see female protagonists with well rounded personalities that don't dress like whores in stories where their gender is relevent. Keep buying them and hopefully they'll get better.

One thing we can avoid is another Beyond Good and Evil, where the publisher makes a quality game with a well rounded female protagonist who doesn't dress like a whore, then releases it in the dead of night with no advertising, removes it from the shelves before the sun rises and triumphantly proclaims that there is no market for female protagonists. We have the internet. We are connected. We will be there, and we will crowbar the shop doors open, leave $60 on the counter and take our copies
Yeah, I can agree with what you said. A game absolutely needs some level of advertisement or else it's just not going to do all that well.
Yeah, a few games are the exception, but a lot of games are going to fail, or assuredly not meet expectations.
And when a game doesn't meet expectationos, laying it all on the gender of the protagonist is pretty absurd.

Hopefully this is signs of good things to come in the gaming world, and hopefully these games will do well. I know I want my copies, and I know I want to feel like I can stop having to fight for more female protagonists.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
You have no idea how badly I wish it was BG&E.
I should probably give up on waiting for it....but I really wish someone could answer whether or not he is really doing what it looked like he was going in the end game.

There, no spoilers! :D

But...AC:Lib looks kind of cool. I biased cuz its a chick being deadly and awesome, but it looks really cool. Always did want to be a chick assassin.

Child of Light looks nice too. Not my cup of tea, but the creater looked super dedicated and that is always a bonus for the game being great.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Desert Punk said:
krazykidd said:
imahobbit4062 said:
Yay...?

There have been plenty of games with Female leads in the past. Why must this be something of a shock to people now? Why is it apparently so noteworthy it warrants a thread?
This was my thought when i read the tread title . And i came here to say exactly this . This is not news . I never understood why people care if the main characters has boobs and a higher pitched voice . Now the real question is : Will these games be fun?
I must be getting old, because I remember when games used to be about fun and entertainment, not what the protagonist was packing (or not packing) below the belt.
It might not be important to any of *you*, but I think you'll find there are a lot of women who'd love to see themselves represented in more central roles in games.

Aug 19, 2010
Well, i'm just gonna say it. I've bought the PSVita for the sole purpose of playing Assassin's Creed : Liberation (sure ,I got some other games too, and i'm having tons of fun with them. Hell, uncharted:golden abyss convinced me to buy a PS3). I've played through AC:L, and I'm still most definitely getting the HD release. I ain't even mad.
AC is the only game franchise of which I'm a "fanboy" of. I will love any and every Assassin's Creed game unconditionally (this is the only series/franchise to enjoy this privilege).

Child of light looks pretty good, but I don't touch JRPGs with a ten foot pole being held by a guy sitting on another ten foot pole.

I personally rather like ubisoft, even though the community lauds them as EA junior...

[small]...This post will probably give people the "you're what's wrong with the industry" hissy fit...[/small]

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Pohaturon said:
Well, i'm just gonna say it. I've bought the PSVita for the sole purpose of playing Assassin's Creed : Liberation (sure ,I got some other games too, and i'm having tons of fun with them. Hell, uncharted:golden abyss convinced me to buy a PS3). I've played through AC:L, and I'm still most definitely getting the HD release. I ain't even mad.
AC is the only game franchise of which I'm a "fanboy" of. I will love any and every Assassin's Creed game unconditionally (this is the only series/franchise to enjoy this privilege).

Child of light looks pretty good, but I don't touch JRPGs with a ten foot pole being held by a guy sitting on another ten foot pole.

I personally rather like ubisoft, even though the community lauds them as EA junior...

[small]...This post will probably give people the "you're what's wrong with the industry" hissy fit...[/small]
The AC:L HD remake will have new missions and content which is pretty nice. Plus some general polish for controls, and obviously graphics.

If I had the money, AC Liberation would be the only reason I'd get the Vita, too, honestly.

I'd only really be mad if it were a 60 dollar game. lol I'm hopeful it's not, but one never knows.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Zhukov said:
Thr33X said:
Lightknight said:
As long as they're enjoyable games, great. Otherwise what's the point?

I think the statement nowadays is really more-so stable female protagonists (aka, no option of a male alternative). Not sure why alternatives of customize-ability isn't considered valid. !Saints Row 4 allows made with playable female leads!
The only reason people don't "count" Saints Row 4 (or any game in the series) is ignorance. How that's not considered valid but the Mass Effect games are is a perfect example of people thinking only what they want to think. Same way there's the high likelihood that some feminazi types would blow these titles off because they aren't "major". Last I checked a game was a game whether it's AAA or not.

Some people just won't be satisfied with anything. Fuck 'em.
Umm... who exactly are you referring to?

Who are these people that are refusing to acknowledge that Saint's Row has a customizable protagonist while acknowledging that Mass Effect does so fuck 'em?

You sound like you're angrily swinging at shadows. An impression reinforced by the straight-faced use of "feminazi".
Well I don't call ME a fem lead game because the script is clearly written for male shep and the company also says he is cannon she was a secondary choice she is a secondary option Fable, Dragon Age all have this issue the females are secondary they were not the main focus when the game was conceived and written while most actions in ME go well with fshep there are moments where its so obvious there is no more excuses to be made other then, " yeah clearly male orientated situation/dialogue/ect here" like fshep back in 2 running like a gorilla and sitting wide legged, fshep yahg shoving, her charging spector girl out the window, her drinking like man, her hauling VS over her shoulder for the nuke rescue scene, there are more examples but I'm giving a few.

Counting fem hero games are for me games that were made for the fem lead the scripts also written with her as the focal point. If a game made itself a chose your sex but the fem lead was the cannon of the sexes the script was written for her in situations and dialogue and the male was the secondary choice I'd say its a fem hero game not a male hero game as the game itself will make known whom the creators had in mind for it in most cases there are a few games where I can't tell whom the script was made for and these I find more enjoyable like Reckoning is difficult for me to discern I think the script was well crafted so it went either way and for the most part ME also has this but like I said there are moments when its not jiving for both sexes and so it leads for male hero game.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
Yay! for more powerful and independent female characters in games.I am tired of playing the same cliche one dimemsional alpha males in games either saving the world or saving damsels in distress.I want more games like BG&E,Remember Me,etc.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Well it's nice to get more games with female protagonists, but more important to me is quality. I have no problem to do without females leads, if the games are as shite as Remeber Me.

Aug 19, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
Pohaturon said:

The AC:L HD remake will have new missions and content which is pretty nice. Plus some general polish for controls, and obviously graphics.

If I had the money, AC Liberation would be the only reason I'd get the Vita, too, honestly.

I'd only really be mad if it were a 60 dollar game. lol I'm hopeful it's not, but one never knows.
I'm thinking it won't be a full 60$. Ubisoft has said that due to Blood Dragon's and Call of Juarez : whatwasitsname's success mean we will be seeing more digital-only "mini-AAA" games. I'm thinking liberation HD is one of them.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Pohaturon said:
I'm thinking it won't be a full 60$. Ubisoft has said that due to Blood Dragon's and Call of Juarez : whatwasitsname's success mean we will be seeing more digital-only "mini-AAA" games. I'm thinking liberation HD is one of them.
Sounds great to me! Cheaper games means I can get them easier, and get more of them.

Hopefully this business strategy will work well, and create a new cheaper games far more often, and help the game industry be more willing to take risks, and bail'em out of financial woes.

Aug 19, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
Pohaturon said:
Sounds great to me! Cheaper games means I can get them easier, and get more of them.

Hopefully this business strategy will work well, and create a new cheaper games far more often, and help the game industry be more willing to take risks, and bail'em out of financial woes.
My thoughts exactly. With the stupidly large budgets of modern AAA games it's no wonder things are the way they are. In recent years the indie scene is where most of the innovation took place. Now if AAA developers would start doing smaller, digital releases, maybe they'd get their creative on, too.
It will also allow them to test an idea. Risky concept = "mini-AAA" digital release. If it's successful, they might bump it up to full on AAA.

The system could work out pretty well. Polish it a bit, and have more devs jump on the train and we have ourselves some good games brewin'.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Pohaturon said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Pohaturon said:

My thoughts exactly. With the stupidly large budgets of modern AAA games it's no wonder things are the way they are. In recent years the indie scene is where most of the innovation took place. Now if AAA developers would start doing smaller, digital releases, maybe they'd get their creative on, too.
It will also allow them to test an idea. Risky concept = "mini-AAA" digital release. If it's successful, they might bump it up to full on AAA.

The system could work out pretty well. Polish it a bit, and have more devs jump on the train and we have ourselves some good games brewin'.
If it goes well enough, something insane might happen... like general drops in videogame prices. Maybe game developers can start pumping these games out a lot.

Lower prices will definitely work wonders for digital only releases.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
God fucking damn it Ubisoft! What must I do for Beyond Good & Evil 2? I tell you what, if you announced that game in the next couple of weeks for the next generation of consoles and I would finally get excited for the next generation consoles.

As for these games, meh. Which you will take as me not wanting female characters and refuse to greenlight Beyond Good & Evil 2. Seriously, more Assassins Creed, do you not realize people are getting seriously burnt out on that franchise and yet you continue to force it down ours throats until we are sick. Just give me Beyond Good & Evil 2 and then you can release whatever crap you like. AGGGHHH!!!

Aug 19, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
Pohaturon said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Pohaturon said:

If it goes well enough, something insane might happen... like general drops in videogame prices. Maybe game developers can start pumping these games out a lot.

Lower prices will definitely work wonders for digital only releases.
If this catches on, we will see quite a few lower budget risky games coming up. If it turns out to be successful, it might even eventually outgrow the AAA industry as a whole.

Now that, would be quite a sight.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
DarkhoIlow said:
I'm still waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2 Ubisoft, please don't leave it in development hell.
I always wondered if it wasn't best to leave that game untouched by a sequel.

Noetherian

Hermits United
May 3, 2012
I'm really looking forward to being able to play Liberation. I don't even know anyone who knows anyone who owns a Vita, but my friends have been hoping for this console shift for a while. Not only do we finally get a playable female assassin, but a POC to boot... \o/ Go Ubisoft, go!

Also, I'll second the commenter who praised this thread for bringing some more positivity back to the discussion of representation in mainstream gaming. Thanks for that.