Ubisoft: "It's Not True That We Don't Care About PC Optimization"

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Come on, guys, Ubisoft obviously loves the PC community. I mean, right after calling them all a bunch of pirates, they then went and made a game about pirates. Doesn't them dedicating a game to the PC community show how much they love it?

On a more serious note, yeah, I'm not buying it. Someone at Ubisoft is lying, and given their horrible treatment of the PC community in the past, I'm going to trust the guy that continues to show disregard for PC gamers. Of course, I don't like what he says, but he's the one being consistent with Ubisoft's general attitude.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
If that is true Ubisoft; then why do so many people openly avoid your PC products? I myself have never bought a Ubisoft game on the PC.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
<link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.834605-AC4-developer-states-that-optimizing-a-PC-port-isnt-necessary#20422980>This post.
Thanks. I didn't see that post.

I don't really like Ubisoft very much anyways, so I don't have any strong feelings on their optimization statements.
I'm trying to think of franchises I care about. AC got too many releases for me to care anymore, and the last game I bought from Ubi was...Rocksmith.

DON'T JUDGE ME!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yeah, right. admitting i never had major problems with the pc ports. the games were running smoothly but then in the controls you quickly see what kind of port you got. best example, RE4. worst pc port ever. just the controls show how much care they put in to it. how many times did i jump in the wrong direction or the character does something else i dont want him to do. en in far cry 3 i had some problems until our hero reacted to something. and i agree that the market szstem was a bit slow and clunky to operate that the mouse was a total loss. im sure AC4 will have some problems as well but as long it doesnt ruin the experience, i can more or less close a eye on it.
now i just have to wait for my pc that i can actually play the damn game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lacktheknack said:
<link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.834605-AC4-developer-states-that-optimizing-a-PC-port-isnt-necessary#20422980>This post.
Thanks. I didn't see that post.

I don't really like Ubisoft very much anyways, so I don't have any strong feelings on their optimization statements.
I'm trying to think of franchises I care about. AC got too many releases for me to care anymore, and the last game I bought from Ubi was...Rocksmith.

DON'T JUDGE ME!
Hey, man. Rocksmith looks cool.

Valderis said:
Why don't you go and eat a dick Ubisoft.

Or actually do some good ports from now on, but I think we all know that's not going to happen.

And you need to stop with your shitty DRM.
They did. A year ago.

And it hadn't even been implemented in new games for over a year before that.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"We are very proud of the PC version of Black Flag: the game runs well on low-end PCs, and lots of additional features were added for higher-end machines, allowing each and every customer to fully enjoy the experience on their PCs. Our partnership with Nvidia that saw our respective engineering teams work together to develop a highly optimized PC version also demonstrates our commitment to the platform."[/quote]
FIrst - haha, no. No it does not run on low end PCs.
All major studios and most medium ones have parnetships with Nvidia. Thats becaus Nvidia actually sends out their engineers to help them optimize games for thier cards, which means that those games would run better on Nvodia cards (and it also helps them make drivers). When you see a game with a sticker "optimized for Nvidia" you better pray your PC has one. Nvidia actually works damn hard to make games run better on their cards. But this is no mastery of Ubisoft, it does it for all studios that agree to work together.

mrdude2010 said:
This. My graphics card is from 2011 and I could still play it on medium graphics and it never drops below 30 FPS.
You say it like 2011 would be an old card....

Laggyteabag said:
Assassin's Creed III is evidence to the contrary, that game runs horribly on AMD GPU's, as far as im aware they still haven't fixed it to this day, and now that Assassin's Creed IV is out I doubt it will ever happen.
Blame AMD, or rather Blame Nvidia.Nvidia actively participates and spend thier own time and money to work with developers. AMD? Yeah their nto interested in gaming. ANd the result is obviuos. AMD GPUs are great for some things. Going for mathematical calculation point and processing sensory input AMD GPUs can be used up to 10 times better than Nvidia ones. As far as graphical prowess goes - nope your better off with Nvidia. And Nvidia knows it and optimzies for it, while AMD seems to be optimizing for raw calculations. Though their Mantle seems like an attempt to do more than that.

Ushiromiya Battler said:
I haven't really encountered this massively poor optimization people speak of, so I think they did a pretty good job actually.
Considering we are now used to terrible terrible porting jobs (to the point where you are told to take your controller and press left shoudler button ingame as part of tutorial even if you are playing with keyboard and dont have controllers connected), as soon as something half-decent comes out we end up thinking its ok. Just look at GTA4 - the optimization for that is probably COD:Ghosts level of failure, but people still play it.
Atmos Duality said:
Optimized for hilarity. Clearly.
YOu know at first i thought i would say that the ship is jut using a warp tunnel and is actually from the future but it looks like the thing is malfunctioning.
What actually happens is the ship spawn Z axis for some reason gets bugged out and it spawns bellow pr above the place, then the physics engine tries to "make it float" and you see the results. Funniest thing however is how the people on the docks jtu jump on the ship afterwards like thats just normal. San Andreas had such problem for some things as well, they sovled it by forcing items to spawn at "nearest street" if they got bellow certain level underground. Results? you would see boats parked on streets.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Covarr said:
It's not that they don't care about PC, they just suck at it.

P.S. Thanks
I think it is more, "You don't like our DRm, so we don't like you."

But that is just my two cents, which seems to coincidentally be Ubisoft's optimization budget.

Kugel

Nov 25, 2013
PC optimization is not just about graphics. The graphics of the AC games on PC are nothing to complain about I feel.

Minor problem in, I believe, every AC game is the menu interface that acts like a typical console menu. Not bad for consoles, but a pain in the ass for use on a PC.

Major problem for me always has been the traversing of crypts when suddenly your controls react differently from the rest of the game. Crypts in AC games regularly cause me to rage quit. Not because I am bad at the game, but because the controls are typical consolitis crap.
I always considered the traversing of crypts the worst part of the AC games. I should have enjoyed the wonderful crypts and the great puzzles. Instead it very often became a disheartening nightmare. Some crypts I never even finished.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Valderis said:
lacktheknack said:
They did. A year ago.

And it hadn't even been implemented in new games for over a year before that.
Not good enough.
THIS JUST IN: Completely revoking an unpopular policy at your customers' request is no longer enough! If only they had included a complimentary pony with it!

-_____-

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Valderis said:
lacktheknack said:
THIS JUST IN: Completely revoking an unpopular policy at your customers' request is no longer enough! If only they had included a complimentary pony with it!

-_____-
They won't get praise from me for putting a stop to a horrible practice that should never have existed in the first pace, while still continuing with other idiotic ideas. Going with a less intrusive type of DRM isn't good enough.

That's like me telling you that instead of bumming you up the ass with this massive 20" dildo, I'll just be using the 10" version in the future. Somehow I doubt you'd say "well alright then, that's acceptable."
UPlay is just a glitchy version of Steam. It's not remotely comparable to the original stuff, let alone dildo rape.

What the hell is WITH the internet and its rape analogies?