RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Treblaine said:
there is no real region locking
Except for when there is... I'd point an accusatory finger at Steam but most of the regional shitfuckery there is at the behest of publishers not something Gabe and co thought up for shit and giggles. Not the best situation but if people want Steam to offer the widest range of games possible then there have to be compromises with shithead publishers.

One thing that interests me... in a totally academic, never happen but let's think forabout it for a minute... what would be the effect on PC piracy if there were a legitimate 2nd hand market?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Treblaine said:
there is no real region locking
Except for when there is... I'd point an accusatory finger at Steam but most of the regional shitfuckery there is at the behest of publishers not something Gabe and co thought up for shit and giggles. Not the best situation but if people want Steam to offer the widest range of games possible then there have to be compromises with shithead publishers.

One thing that interests me... in a totally academic, never happen but let's think forabout it for a minute... what would be the effect on PC piracy if there were a legitimate 2nd hand market?
Pay for Import then use a Crack is still an option before piracy.

No idea about 2nd-hand, didn't have much of an impact when there was the option of a 2nd hand market before DRM yet before File-sharing networks could bear the strain of large-game downloads. Maybe PC gamers just don't like to trade-in, too many mods, expansion packs and prospects of better graphics with an upgrade.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Woodsey said:
Ubisoft are fucking right. Why, just this morning I heard that Bethesda will never develop for the PC again, as Skyrim utterly failed on the platform - meanwhile, Valve are abandoning the sinking ship that is Steam, because, hey, what use is a PC games store when we're all fucking thieves?!
I know right? The PC as a platform is clearly dead and is populated by people who are nothing more than common criminals. I mean, we obviously relish in the act of stealing any and every piece of software we can get our grubby, greasy, crumby fingers on. It's not like any of us actually get our software through legitimate means or have real, legitimate concerns over the prices of games or the DRM that's being heaped on.

No no. We're all just criminals. We're the dregs of society and aren't worth the effort to make games for.

Well, if you'll excuse me Ubisoft, I'm gonna go spend about $80+ of my hard earned money on the bevy of current Steam sales this weekend. Because, you know, I'm a crook and all that jazz.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Here's a thing:

What other point of salesmanship would you be allowed to say "Most of (this group of our customers) are crooks."

Could Ford say "We're not going to make cars for Italy anymore because 95% of them are crooks."?

What right have Ubisoft to call PC gamers "mostly pirates"? Regardless of any statistics, that's outright slander. (libellous if it's been written down)

This isn't over, Ubisoft. Not by a LONG way.
I've already booked the court date. See you there.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Is there a "Biggest Dick in Video Games" award that only Ubisoft is aware of going on these days? Seriously, it's like they want people to pirate their games and leave feces on their doorsteps.

I don't care for any of your titles, Ubisoft, but I wouldn't buy them anyway because you seem more interested in acting like assholes than anything. I'm not going to pay you to insult your customers.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I have to agree with Ubisoft on this one. They obviously see piracy as a problem that's large enough to force a major change in the way the produce and market PC titles. And don't for a second think that 95% is a massive number, because even if it wasn't a particular game, EVERYONE has pirated something. If you disagree with Ubi, maybe you PC gamers can make up another petition that you guys always seem to about whenever something happens that you don't like. Have a nice day.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
RUINER ACTUAL said:
I have to agree with Ubisoft on this one. They obviously see piracy as a problem that's large enough to force a major change in the way the produce and market PC titles. And don't for a second think that 95% is a massive number, because even if it wasn't a particular game, EVERYONE has pirated something. If you disagree with Ubi, maybe you PC gamers can make up another petition that you guys always seem to about whenever something happens that you don't like. Have a nice day.
You seem not to have noticed, but the primary issue here is with how Ubisoft is handling the perceived issue, not necessarily the perceived problem they're addressing itself. You can be right and still act like an asshole about it, and Ubisoft is proving that gleefully, whether they're right or not.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
I just signed up on their forums to ask if Ghost Recon Online will be available to download on The Pirate Bay.

I wonder if they'll ban me...

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
wounder what amazingly stupid BS there gonna come up with for the stupid DRM they will impose on far cry 3, thats even if it is made for the pc -_-

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Sebastien Arnoult, me and my Steam list of about 70 games and some 300+ physical games I legally own say FUCK YOU.

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
Wow. They're not even trying to polish their vitriol with a PR spin. "Yeah, PC gamers are all pirates, so here's a shitty online shooter." Funny thing is, they're probably gonna lose more money on Ghost Recon Online than they would if they just made shitty ports of their real games.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
Amnestic said:
OutrageousEmu said:
The fuck? A reduction in the rate of piracy is a success for DRM, not the total stopping of all piracy.
Except if every game has been cracked, then there has been no reduction in the rate of piracy, and indeed the inclusion of obnoxious DRM has - or so people claim - caused them to pirate the game out of sheer spite at the developer/publisher for trying to punish their legitimate customers.
This is true somewhat. People have been so infuriated with a dev/pub that they have pirated in protest however some have merely used it as an excuse to justify something they were going to do anyway. I'm all for doing something out of principal (to an extent), but if a person just piggybacks on the reasons of others to try and hold their head high for doing something that they normally do making them a douche then they are an even bigger douche.

Treblaine said:
SNIP

I've had to do this, not the importing but the cracking a game that I physically own. It's dumb as hell that people need to crack a game that they own because of DRM.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Tamrin said:
Treblaine said:
SNIP

I've had to do this, not the importing but the cracking a game that I physically own. It's dumb as hell that people need to crack a game that they own because of DRM.
Well, I just HOPE that publishers don't consider all the incidences of torrenting of cracking-profiles as incidences of piracy. You'd only download a crack for a game that has DRM, i.e. a game you have BOUGHT! Bypassing "anti-piracy" measures are not the same as piracy itself. Just like opposing certain anti-terrorism laws doesn't make you are terrorist (though some extreme conservatives do hold that you would be).

I have never pirated a game, but out of curiosity I have browsed Pirate Bay and what you see a lot of are people seeding cracks. This just shows how many ARE buying games and DO use torrents but they use torrents to help fixed the problems that the publishers cause with DRM not to rip off the developers.

I think publishers should keep an eye on torrent sites and when they see a ripped off version of their game is in the open, the DRM compromised, THAT is the time to freely distribute a patch to ALL LEGITIMATE USERS to remove DRM.

DRM only ever vaguely works ONLY UP TO the point of preventing a pirated copy ending up in the open, once it's in the open DRM is worse than wothless, it devalues the product. Best to just remove it, put the game on sale and push forward some DLC or special edition or some update that hasn't been included in the cracked version.

It's marketing, people can find:

"Special Edition FPS game 50%-off, no drm, cloud-sync"

as more valuable than:

"Regular version, torrented for free. who knows what is in here? Who knows if future performance patches will work?"

I and right now about to buy £70 ($120) worth of games on Steam. Those 50% and 75% offers I cannot resist, even though I still have a huge gaming backlog!

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Seventh Actuality said:
All of this Ubisoft bullshit would annoy me a lot more if I could remember the last time they released a title I actually wanted to play.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep giving my money to Valve and EA.
Haha, so true.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Okay, what is in the water? There has to be a reason why the game developers and companies are being a lot less subtle about their hate for their customers. Seriously, everything seems to come apart right now. What happened to gamers being a family and developers just wanting to make the best game ever and producers being proud and shipping these wonderful games out to the people and...?

Maybe I've been watching too much Extra Credits?

Nooooo. It's got to be in the water. Someone? Anyone? Check the water!

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
ReinWeisserRitter said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
You seem not to have noticed, but the primary issue here is with how Ubisoft is handling the perceived issue, not necessarily the perceived problem they're addressing itself. You can be right and still act like an asshole about it, and Ubisoft is proving that gleefully, whether they're right or not.
I know, but how else could they handle it? They obviously have some sort of statistic, probably server usage or unique user login numbers and compare that to their sales and say, "wtf mate?" I'm sure it isn't 95%, but with how some of their DRM has been for games like Assassins Creed, I don't doubt it's pretty high. They're really trying to prove a point, and even though they're being cocky about it, they are giving PC gamers and pirates what they want: free and DRM free games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well, if you are going to make a DRM that will not allow a paying costumer to play, people will obviously pirate it. that is simply logical.
now, why dont you return to making games that dont suck instead of blaming whole world for your mistakes?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TitanAtlas said:
mParadox said:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...
Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...
splinter cell is a joke now.
assasins creed is ok
far cry has been completely ruined by ubisoft
rainbow six and driver havent played
heroes of might and magic gets worse with every release
prince of persia was always awful
borther in arms is ok, but its really very low profile.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Strazdas said:
TitanAtlas said:
mParadox said:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...
Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...
splinter cell is a joke now.
assasins creed is ok
far cry has been completely ruined by ubisoft
rainbow six and driver havent played
heroes of might and magic gets worse with every release
prince of persia was always awful
borther in arms is ok, but its really very low profile.
What about beyond good and evil and rayman? :)

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Is the Ubisoft PR guy a 13 yr old fanboy or something? 95%, as if that was a scientific stat. 100% of ubisoft employees have their heads so far up their asses that the lump on their throat is their nose, and that's true because I just made it up on the spot.