Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I agree with several posters here. They tried a unique form of DRM. People didn't tolerate it in the same way that people tolerate Steam. They were planning to use that DRM on all future PC titles, but seeing how badly it went for the first few, they figure all the others would go as badly. So rather than subject themselves to the headache, they just won't do it and stick to consoles.

Good thing I never was interested in any of their titles anyway.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Bah.. who cares.. Ubisoft is not the Ubisoft of ye olde days. Ghost Recon has turned into total crap, so who cares?

Ubi... BAH to you.

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
I dont think Ubisoft liked EA getting so much bad publicity and i thought no one could ever beat EA... but this certainly goes to show that its possible.

Now if EA, Activision and Ubisoft united... called themself "the Trinity of Evil" or something...

...that would be great since Valve would have to put on their shining armor and decapitate their heads with their Greatsword of greatness

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Im pretty much done with Ubisoft at this point, they ever think that maybe they should just test one of their games (A good quality one) without any form of DRM and see whether it's successful or not instead of constantly worrying about the DRM boogie monster, hell, they have nothing to lose if 95% of us are apparently thieves.

But of course, they won't do that because they've just shown us exactly how little they think of us, to them we're all a bunch of bottom-feeding thieves that would steal anything not nailed down if given the chance.

Now I know what it feels like to be a traveller, those poor bastards get it so bad and yet most of them are decent people in my experience.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
AverageJoe said:
Guys, PLEASE buy Assassin's Creed Revelations and let the figures show them we want their PC releases.
Do I want to spend money on a crappy series that wasn't good even from the start? The answer is no, and even if I did like it I wouldn't fucking buy it now after this statement, and neither should you.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
OutrageousEmu said:
Wolfram01 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Do you have any fucking idea how premium pricing actually works? Like, does the concept work in your brain, or do you just do it to troll?
It would seem you weren't initially being sarcastic, then. I weep for the world.
Ah yes, the "I am acting aloof because I don't know what I'm talking about so I'm going to act superior so I don't have to explain myself" tactic, a favourite of trolls. Evidently I got my answer.
I explained myself rather well; you have done nothing of the sort. If you don't get how basic business works that's too bad.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
they just like going from potential sales: 10s of 1000s to potential sales of: absolutely fucking none!

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
So people like me that buy games and go without playing games if I can't afford them get shafted too? You don't even make my favorite games anyways Ubisoft. Go on believing console owners don't pirate your games.

Mahha

May 20, 2009
I, for one, can live without Ubisofts gaming contribution. Their only gaming franchise worth playing in the last few years was Assassins Creed and even those games I can live without. So yeah Ubisoft go ahead and ditch pc-gaming all together.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
OutrageousEmu said:
Wolfram01 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Wolfram01 said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Do you have any fucking idea how premium pricing actually works? Like, does the concept work in your brain, or do you just do it to troll?
It would seem you weren't initially being sarcastic, then. I weep for the world.
Ah yes, the "I am acting aloof because I don't know what I'm talking about so I'm going to act superior so I don't have to explain myself" tactic, a favourite of trolls. Evidently I got my answer.
I explained myself rather well; you have done nothing of the sort. If you don't get how basic business works that's too bad.
I get how basic business works - premium items need to be those that are shown publicly. Since you can't wear fucking videogames out in public, thats the most goddamn retarded fucking argument any inbred hick could ever come up with. Notice how Fucking The Kings Speech and Transformers 2 had the exact same ticket price despite the insane difference in the levels of care oput into one over the other - because ENTERTAINMENT DOES NOT GET A FUCKING PREMIUM ATTACHED TO IT.
First off you need to calm the hell down. This is literally the first time you've bothered to even try and explain yourself in legible english.

Now obviously video games often do get a premium attached to it - Special Editions and the like are extremely common.

But that's not even the point. Saying "I'd pay a premium" doesn't mean anything close to what it means for clothes or whatever. It's more like how you pay a premium to view a movie in 3D compared to regular. Or for example, you pay one premium to drive a BMW instead of a Honda, but within either brand, you pay a "premium" (the kind I mean) to driver a nicer model because it has more stuff in it. "Premium Pricing" means artificial inflation, paying a premium for better content does not mean that - it means paying more for more.

The premium cost refers to the game being a lot bigger, having a lot more stuff in it, or whatever tickles your fancy. I'm not saying they charge "extra" for it like a brand name shoe, I'm saying they charge more because it cost more to make - and likewise Activision can sell COD for a lot less because it cost less to make.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"there's no DRM that will pollute your experience.'"
Wow, thanks! Want me to spit in your face, you massive jerk???

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
Article posted today on IGN with Valve CEO explaining why piracy isn't an issue if you change with the times. http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1213357p1.html

If only every developer would realize this.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.326129.13326379

"Do you know why I use piratebay.org? Because of assholes like you and EA and Bioware putting less, and less efforts into your games and I am not willing to pay $60 per-annual sequal."

rightly received a warning for this.

That justification is COMPLETELY VOID from the frequent and extremely generous Steam Sales, if you aren't prepared to pay $6 and wait a few months then surely it isn't even worth playing. If you don't like madden/COD then don't play them at all no matter how you acquire them. Import the game if necessary, there is no real region locking!

So, you simply don't want to pay your dues. Piracy is inexcusable on PC.

Downloading a crack to bypass DRM that jeopardises your legitimate access... maybe... but if you Play, you PAY!

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
Does anybody else get the impression that dev's like Ubisoft are stuck with this broken logic in their heads?

'DRM is about stoping pirates; if they don't like DRM then they must be pirates.'

I can recon 95% of PC gamers are against DRM so mayby thats where they are getting this BS figure from.

Fail logic is fail.

Magnicon said:
Article posted today on IGN with Valve CEO explaining why piracy isn't an issue if you change with the times. http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1213357p1.html

If only every developer would realize this.
I love Gabe for this. I really think he has it right (mostly, price does come into it somewhat but mainly for the type of people who don't like the idea of giving money to people who make things you like).