Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
teebeeohh said:
yeah and when the sales of revelations on PC are gonna suck they will blame pirates, not themselves because they antagonized PC gamers in the weeks leading up to it.
Not to mention that they seem to have deliberately staggered AC:R's PC release compared to the console version. Just over two weeks of difference according to wikipedia. Even if they sold well, the PC version is naturally going to have hindered sales simply because people who really want to get the game will buy it when it comes out earliest, which is on consoles.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
TitanAtlas said:
mParadox said:
Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...
Games I've left quoted havn't been worth mentioning in the last 5 years.

may aswell mention titles from the 90s.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Man holy shit are these guys off their rockers or what! Fuck I don't play 99% of Ubisoft games because I'll be honest, I don't really consider them to be any good. My placement of them in the world of publishers is the same area as say a steaming pile of shit. At least EA has the ability to make semi half decent games before it fucks you over.

Well Ubisoft, I would offer you a shovel, but alas you seem content using your hands.

EDT: To add, the only reason pirating on PC is so rampant is because it is easy to do. If console systems had the same ease(say like Dreamcast) than pirating would be a problem on them too(just like Dreamcast).

So Ubisoft: If you don't want people to pirate your games, stop making shitty games, and stick to a DRM that people generally tolerate like Steamworks. Valve seems to do pretty well with their games, and so do must developers that use Steamworks DRM.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Come to think of it, this all makes sense now! Their DRM was a success! Since we're all pirates and it locked us out of the game anyways. Mission accomplished!

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Or they could just release the game the normal way, DRM free and see if that works. Guess what Ubisoft, if you didn't shove so much crap down our throats people might be able to not only play your game, but lose the frustration of trying to get it to start up in the first place. DRM is like a mall cop who goes out of the way to piss of real customers, then ignores actual thieves.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
Now, I don't like to make sweeping generalizations. Saying, "All pirates would be legitimate customers if Ubisoft didn't use shitbox DRM" is as broad of a generalization as "All PC gamers are pirates". But I can say this, knowing for absolute surety that it is 100% factual:

But I can say that the only reason that I haven't played any Ubisoft titles, on PC or otherwise, since 2008 was because of their Assassin's Creed DRM. Which is regrettable, because Might & Magic Heroes 6 looks to be fun.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Dear Ubisoft,
I'd love to say it's been fun, but I must not lie. Though you may do so, and call me vile filth, I've been fair to you. Once I considered you a good company, but little of what you do now is indeed good. You don't want my money anymore? I've not wanted your games for quite some time. So feel free to tell your friends you're the one who broke it off with me, but we'll always know the truth. You always wanted to watch me, even when I was alone. It stopped being about me long ago, and even though you always pretended otherwise, calling me a cheater so much has made it clear YOU were cheating on me. I'm sorry if this breaks the illusion, however, it needs to be said: You need help, you are self destructive, your work has been sub-par, and breaks if you're not there to keep it going. I did care once, but you've mistreated me so. Call me if you ever sober up, maybe we can still be friends.

Sincerely,
Link Kadeshi

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Amnestic said:
teebeeohh said:
yeah and when the sales of revelations on PC are gonna suck they will blame pirates, not themselves because they antagonized PC gamers in the weeks leading up to it.
Not to mention that they seem to have deliberately staggered AC:R's PC release compared to the console version. Just over two weeks of difference according to wikipedia. Even if they sold well, the PC version is naturally going to have hindered sales simply because people who really want to get the game will buy it when it comes out earliest, which is on consoles.
And that, my friends, is how you slowly move away from a platform. Make it look like it is the consumers' fault.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
The Rascal King said:
Man, it must be hard to be PC elitist when 3 games come out for it every year.
Nah. I'd rather have 3 good games that last me way over year than 100 crappy ones that I can't even be bothered to finish half-way through. It's even easier with MMOs, one game - few years of game play. Oh, and all those freeware games and indie games...
Yeah. How will I ever live without all those repetitive third person perspective action-adventure games and aim-assist shooters. Woe is me. *roll eyes*

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Versuvius said:
What, being insulted and being called a load of thieves because they make shit? They make shit and call us thieves because they don't sell? We aren't entitled to be a bit angry that they are spouting wank to cover their arse? I'm not angry about their shitty games, i don't care. What gets me is people like you who bend over for corportions to defend their stupid practices and insulting prospective buyers (Who also own fucking consoles, they people they claim is the real market) who won't buy their console tripe either. Christ some of you people must think with your arseholes. Lets insult these PC gamers and sell to console gamers! ...what do you mean PC gamers also own consoles? UNPOSSIBLE! THEY ARE ALL THIEVES! Hey Ubisoft, you won't be aquainted with my PS3 or my money any time soon.

Rant over, lulzing at silly people.
I think a corporation, like an individual, has the right to do what it wants with it's money, it can invest in whatever products or services it wants etc, the only provisos being that it is financially accountable for it's actions and said actions are within the law. Feel free to equate this with being some kind of apologist for corporations if you like - it doesn't bother me.

The way I see it is ubisoft think PC development isn't profitable - then that is their decision, if they think their games are pirated too much then stating that position isn't calling you personally a thief - you don't have to take offence at everything and throw a tantrum like a spoiled brat. If you and the others here are right then the market will punish them and you will see reduced profits and market share at ubisoft - that will hurt them and they will be forced to change their ways.

clankwise

Sep 27, 2009
TitanAtlas said:
It seems a lot of bull and crap is coming from

Why don't they adopt a system like on Steam... need to play the game with a internet connection so i can play either single or multiplayer...

Like half life games and such... why the "Pirates are going to ruin for everyone" excuse?
Yeah they can be the origin of this new system of need to play the game with a internet connection. Thats an original idea. If only something with that type of origin exsisted.....

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Slayer_2 said:
Or they could just release the game the normal way, DRM free and see if that works. Guess what Ubisoft, if you didn't shove so much crap down our throats people might be able to not only play your game, but lose the frustration of trying to get it to start up in the first place. DRM is like a mall cop who goes out of the way to piss of real customers, then ignores actual thieves.
Is that why World of Good had a 90% piracy rate despite no DRM?
No idea what that game is, but here is a fact for you. People are gonna pirate. It doesn't matter how tight your security, one day, someone will crack it. Then distribute it. Once it's out there, it's out there. Doesn't matter if it's one person in the world that hacks it, or a million, all it takes is one upload. I don't know exact rates, but I'm sure piracy figures are higher than sales figures for most games. Show me the game that has never been pirated, and I'll retract my statements about DRM.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
-|- said:
Versuvius said:
What, being insulted and being called a load of thieves because they make shit? They make shit and call us thieves because they don't sell? We aren't entitled to be a bit angry that they are spouting wank to cover their arse? I'm not angry about their shitty games, i don't care. What gets me is people like you who bend over for corportions to defend their stupid practices and insulting prospective buyers (Who also own fucking consoles, they people they claim is the real market) who won't buy their console tripe either. Christ some of you people must think with your arseholes. Lets insult these PC gamers and sell to console gamers! ...what do you mean PC gamers also own consoles? UNPOSSIBLE! THEY ARE ALL THIEVES! Hey Ubisoft, you won't be aquainted with my PS3 or my money any time soon.

Rant over, lulzing at silly people.
I think a corporation, like an individual, has the right to do what it wants with it's money, it can invest in whatever products or services it wants etc, the only provisos being that it is financially accountable for it's actions and said actions are within the law. Feel free to equate this with being some kind of apologist for corporations if you like - it doesn't bother me.

The way I see it is ubisoft think PC development isn't profitable - then that is their decision, if they think their games are pirated too much then stating that position isn't calling you personally a thief - you don't have to take offence at everything and throw a tantrum like a spoiled brat. If you and the others here are right then the market will punish them and you will see reduced profits and market share at ubisoft - that will hurt them and they will be forced to change their ways.
They just called 19 out of 20 PC gamers dirty thieves. Are you seriously going to try to defend that? I don't even play on the PC and that is an outright lie and a real low blow.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
clankwise said:
TitanAtlas said:
It seems a lot of bull and crap is coming from

Why don't they adopt a system like on Steam... need to play the game with a internet connection so i can play either single or multiplayer...

Like half life games and such... why the "Pirates are going to ruin for everyone" excuse?
Yeah they can be the origin of this new system of need to play the game with a internet connection. Thats an original idea. If only something with that type of origin exsisted.....
Well hundreds of people use steam and don't give a dam... WHat i saied it's an idea, not a kickstarter for sarcasm and hate...

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Keava said:
SNIP (since Im too lazy to quote completely)
I do agree that those statistics are commonly misinterpreted. However one of my points is that its not just financial, its also moral. Some developers don't like pirating because its taking something they worked hard and long for and treating it like free shovel-ware. Many of them, (as the Indie community proves), are less focused on money and more on legibility and worth. Anything bough for a higher price is usually counted with greater revere then something received for free. The point is this: pirating, no matter what, should not be done. The best of intentions pave the road to hell (just a saying, im not getting religious on this), even though people pirate with the intentions to buy later, its still the pirating thats the problem. I understand if you did it for good reasons, however it doesn't make it right in either the developers eyes, or mine.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Love how the continuously say that PC gamers only pirate games, yet they still support PC games. Sounds to me that they realize that there's enough money to be made on PC and are afraid to drop it entirely.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Slayer_2 said:
here is a fact for you. People are gonna pirate. It doesn't matter how tight your security, one day, someone will crack it. Then distribute it. Once it's out there, it's out there. Doesn't matter if it's one person in the world that hacks it, or a million, all it takes is one upload. I don't know exact rates, but I'm sure piracy figures are higher than sales figures for most games. Show me the game that has never been pirated, and I'll retract my statements about DRM.
Give this guy a medal, because apparently nobody else is smart enough to realize this. Companies need to stop wasting so much money on trying to make everything air tight secure, because it doesn't matter.

It's part of the reason why I laugh at people when they think that Xbox live is secure because it's paid for.