Ubisoft on 900p: "Ubisoft Does Not Constrain Its Games"

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Ubisoft on 900p: "Ubisoft Does Not Constrain Its Games"

Ubisoft states anything over 900p resolution in Assassin's Creed Unity would have come at a cost to the gameplay.

Ubisoft has further clarified its decision to lock Assassin's Creed Unity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/assassins%20creed%20unity] at 900p in a statement issued to the company blog. In this statement, Ubisoft claims a resolution higher than 900p would have led to sacrifices in gameplay.

"Ubisoft does not constrain its games," Gary Steinman, Ubisoft's senior communications manager, wrote on the company's blog. "We would not limit a game's resolution. And we would never do anything to intentionally diminish anything we've produced or developed."

Videogamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137874-Assassins-Creed-Unity-Will-Run-at-900p-Resolution-and-30-fps-on-Xbox-One-and-PS4]; both the Xbox One and PS4 versions of Unity will run at 900p and 30 frames per second. The interview implied Ubisoft lowered the specs specifically for the PS4 version. Senior producer Vincent Pontbriand said, "We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff."

Pontbriand then elaborated the AI and numerous NPCs on screen limited Ubisoft to running Unity at 30 frames per second. Since then, Ubisoft developer Nicolas Guérin told TechRadar Ubisoft kept framerate down to give the game a cinematic feeling. [http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/viva-la-resoluci-n-assassin-s-creed-dev-thinks-industry-is-dropping-60-fps-standard-1268241]

After consumers accused Ubisoft of decreasing the game's performance on PS4 to match the Xbox One, Ubisoft issued an official statement: "To set the record straight, we did not lower the specs for Assassin's Creed Unity to account for any one system over the other."

In yesterday's company statement, Pontbriand said he understands how the interview led people to believe Ubisoft was "holding back" Unity on PS4. "I simply chose the wrong words when talking about the game's resolution, and for that I'm sorry."

Ubisoft defended its decision to lock the resolution at 900p and said Assassin's Creed Unity is pushing the Xbox One and PS4 more than ever before. Buildings in Paris nearly have a 1:1 scale whereas previous games set buildings at three-fourths the size. Unity also has more NPCs - thousands on screen at a time, Ubisoft states - to recreate the size and density of Paris. Ubisoft also noted a game's resolution isn't set until late in development.

"The team has dedicated much of the past few months to optimizing Unity to reach 900p with a consistent 30 frames per second," Steinman wrote. "Considering the sheer number of pixels that are being moved around at all times - which affects both the CPU and GPU - that's a significant achievement, especially as Assassin's Creed Unity will release when the new-gen consoles are barely more than a year old."

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-delivers-resolution-players/]

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I'd be angry if I wasn't so tired and beat down by listening to this same drivel every time.

We need to burn down the games industry, salt the earth it's currently on, and come back again in a decade or two to start again.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They are still lying. I could believe their official explanation that the CPUs are woo weak if the PS4 version ran at a higher framerate. The PS4 is literally 50% stronger than the Xbone. There is no excuse for both versions to be the same. The cinematic feeling argument is designed to combat this specific accusation. But we all know (hopefully) that framerate in video games has nothing in common with framerate in the movies. You can't get a more cinematic feel by limiting the framerate. It's pure bullshit and they know it.

The most probable explanation is that Microsoft payed them. We've seen how far they're willing to do go sell their shitty console when they bought the rights for Tomb Raider and wasted $2.5 billion on Minecraft. And Tomb Raider is a game that has a long history as a PlayStation/PC title.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Ubisoft, you are so obviously trying to bullshit us it's not even funny.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
"Ubisoft does not constrain its games,"
Nice Watchdogs "Who cares it's PC" Edition fuckwits.

Sidenote: I like how the spellchecker on this site tells me to change 'fuckwits' to 'kiwifruits'.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Id be angry if i was ever going to buy it on console.

Or ar all, if they fuck up the PC version.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
As long as its as engaging and interesting as AC: Black Flag was....the game could be in (OH MY GOD!!! SO SHIT!!) 720p for all I care.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
It's semantics: no, they didn't initially set it at 1080 and reduce it to 900, the INITIALLY SET THE BAR LOWER and went for 900. So he's both right and misleading: they didn't "reduce" the game, they just set their bar really fucking low.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Whatever. So many gamers are just sheep and since sheep just know about eat grass, they can say "because numerology". It would have the same impact.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
"Ubisoft does not constrain its games".

Watch_Dogs on PC would like a word with them then.

I mean, the original statement for AC: Unity was, quote, "We locked it... to avoid all the debates and stuff."

That's... that's, like, insanely clear-cut. You can't misstate or misinterpret that.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
If they are legitimately simulating a city of thousands of NPCs at a time (which smells of marketing) then at least they're trying something big to make the technical downgrades worth it. If not, given this is looking like a trend I have to wonder why we even have a new console generation. Making things more HD was the hallmark of the sixth generation going to the seventh. If we're just going to keep doing that, striving for 60fps smoothness would have at least given some unique appeal to the new gaming era. Pushing the polygon limit never had to be the default response to the new hardware power.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
So they're entirely willing to dump literally hundreds of hours into modelling a single cathedral to be an exact copy of the real world original, most of which you probably won't see, but putting some more hours into something that affects the entire game didn't come up in the meetings at all?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"And we would never do anything to intentionally diminish anything we've produced or developed."

Like withholding parts of the game for day one DLC. Or On-Disc DLC. Or demand always when the playerbase hates it. Or...........

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
I don't think they thought this one through. "You think our games are made bad on purpose? Well haha, they're not we do our best but just suck at making games so there." At least constraining their games is an incompetence that makes some sort of sense.

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Normally at this point I'd be feeling all Smug PC Master Race, but given how Ubisoft treats the PC platform we'll be lucky if AC:U doesn't set our machines on fire and, with their final dying erg of power, display a bluescreen with "lawl buy xbawx pc luzer" on it.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Hahah, yeah, sure...

At this point, I think it would be better if they just lay low and keep their mouths shut. Because all that comes from them, recently, is either controversial, or downright stupid.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
$5000 says that assassins creed unity will do anything but "push the PS4 more than ever before".

It'll be a graphically average game with no more on-screen than Shadow of Mordor (1080p, 60fps on the ps4) or GTA V (1080p, 30fps on the PS4).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Shhh! stop saying stuff, Ubi! Youre not very good at this, remember? Just release the game...no statements...so i can play and enjoy mounting beautiful parisienne architecture. J'adore, people...j'adore!

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Keep digging, Ubi. You haven't quite reached the molten core of the Earth yet.
It's not as if I care, exactly. My TV is only 720p. But I don't like being lied to my face.

SweetJackal

Aug 1, 2014
If Ubisoft keeps this up I'm going to fill my card on AAA Bingo!

<1920x1080p rez
<60 FPS
"30 FPS is Cinematic"
"Hardware can't give better performance"
Declaration of never Constraining the game for one version when constraining a version
Revisionist History
Lacking mention of PC*

*Only counts if it is confirmed to have a PC version and if two consoles are directly named in the statement.

It is really rare to get 5th and 7th spots on that list in one go, PC is normally required when lies about Constraints are brought up.