Ubisoft Planning Its Own "Project Ten Dollar"

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
You should know by now that the corporate gaming world runs on this kind of monkey-see-monkey-do behavior.
EA wants to copy Ubisoft's "Big Brother" DRM, and Ubisoft wants to copy EA's "Project 10 Dollar".
Monkey-see-monkey-do indeed.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Konrad Curze said:
EA: Project 10 dollar.
Ubi: Project 10 dollar per month plus proof of ID to be kept on file and if you stop paying you have to stop playing your games since the "licence" expires.
Activision: Project 25 dollar, and I quote "because we can".
My thoughts exactly.

Also, Project $10 would be much more substantial if the DLC that came with the games had any substance. I mean, Dragon Age's DLC was okay at best.

EDIT: Ohh, and welcome to the Escapist.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The DLC has to be worth it, otherwise people will just pirate the game and ignore the crappy palette swap costumes you would get for free.

MortalForNow

Jan 10, 2010
Wow, if every major game company takes this tactic, maybe the "scurge" of used game sales will vanish. Personally, I don't really care about used games anymore because I no longer want them after a bad experience with a scratched disc that a Gamestop employee would not recognize as a preexisting problem, rendering my bought game useless and unable to get my money back without selling the game for 1/20th of its actual value.

Really, though, if this is such a problem, they should be pushing for the elimination of used games instead of getting angry at game stores for this and ripping off the consumer when the game stores are the ones to blame for these problems. They should cut the problem off at its source instead of punishing the middleman for taking up the store's endless offers to sell them these used games.

LunarCircle

Nov 10, 2009
!@$%^&

Ya see what EA started? Technically, they're within their rights since online access to their servers and content belongs to them, but it still sucks. This is where "vote with your wallet" needs to go into effect. It'll give them a very loud message about what gamers think of "Project $10."

The sad thing is that these types of tactics will be huge successes. Mainly because I've seen over and over that people will complain about giving their money for something yet still do it anyway.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
As a PC gamer, it's nice to see Tradition spread.

That said: Ubisoft! Get rid of that failure of a DRM! Then we'll talk.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Hahaha ... carry on Ubisoft, first you have basically alienated every PC gamer fan you had, now you will do the same to your Console fans.

Whats this talk of FREE DLC ? There wont be FREE DLC idiots, the publishers will simply cut off a piece of the existing game... and make that 'FREE DLC', not add stuff to the game.
Thats why the concept of DLC is unpleasant, while it may imply adding to the game in reality its removing and selling seperately because unlike traditional expansions, modern games are designed with the idea of selling DLC so 'additonal extras' are simply cut from the game and re-introduced as DLC.

... quiet often the content is already on the machine, the buyer merely purchases a key to unlock it.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I'm not really sure whether you're trolling on purpose here.

Sober Thal said:
It's funny because anyone who wants to yell at me, has internet access, and so they should be able to play any of these games if they pay for them.
Except they might not. They might be posting this from libraries, netcafes and other places that offer internet access. Their internet connection might be really slow. Not everybody lives in a western country near a metropolis.

The thing is that you'll never have 100% working internet access at all times. It's simply impossible. That's why it's reasonable to assume to that games/apps/whatever that wouldn't otherwise require a connection don't.

If any of you really can't play video games because of drm, I would love to have you explain exactly why not. Unless you are a pirate, then I have no desire to hear from you.
There are plenty of games I couldn't play because of DRM. Heroes of Annihilated Empires was such a game, Brothers in Arms was another. They simply didn't start. At one point I was so annoyed by Starforce that I simply stopped buying any game that had it; I had 3 games at that point with that DRM that simply wouldn't boot up. If you bought Assassin's Creed 2 while their servers were down, you couldn't play that legally either.

Fact is, pirates aren't the ones that are screwed over by DRM. They'll simply crack their game and play that cracked version that has no DRM from that point onward.

But that isn't even close to what Project Ten Dollar is about, anyway.

Project Ten Dollar is essentially what everyone was afraid of when developers started selling chunks of their game online.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Sure they can do this and probably a decent idea but it doesn't mean they'll get any money from me. UBISOFT is dead to me.

DynamicPenguin

Mar 11, 2009
Caliostro said:
Hey Ubisoft, get this:

[HEADING=1]I'LL BUY YOUR MOTHERFUCKING GAMES AGAIN ONCE YOU REMOVE THE MALWARE FROM THEM.[/HEADING]

Hell, I'm all for these "project ten dollar" initiatives. Reward the legitimate player, don't punish them. But I'll go further: I'll happily buy your games again (AC2 at least, maybe Conviction...) once you remove that piece of malfunctioning and torturous shit you call your own DRM.
I agree with the DRM thing, but umm... Legitimate player? Because I buy used games I'm not a legitimate player?

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
While I have nothing against buying used games, in fact I am quite a purchaser myself when I go looking for the oldies, I like the way this 'Project 10 dollar' is going. It seems by far the best incentive/idea to have gamers purchase their games new.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
ASnogarD said:
Hahaha ... carry on Ubisoft, first you have basically alienated every PC gamer fan you had, now you will do the same to your Console fans.

Whats this talk of FREE DLC ? There wont be FREE DLC idiots, the publishers will simply cut off a piece of the existing game... and make that 'FREE DLC', not add stuff to the game.
Thats why the concept of DLC is unpleasant, while it may imply adding to the game in reality its removing and selling seperately because unlike traditional expansions, modern games are designed with the idea of selling DLC so 'additonal extras' are simply cut from the game and re-introduced as DLC.

... quiet often the content is already on the machine, the buyer merely purchases a key to unlock it.
Did you by any chance see the DLC for dante's inferno? The trophies of the FUTURE dlc were already amonngst the original 1.0 game, and that was with 3 dlc's "on the way"
Fucking absurd... not only that but the game sucks big floppy donkey dicks.

edit: is it just me that thinks that the one for battlefield: bc2 was actually quite good? Sure, it would cost extra 15 bucks for someone buying the game used... but it's all the new maps for free and they plan on adding quite a bit more than it already had. Even if most of them are the same ones mirrored, expanded, changed so they work for other modes, its still quite decent.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
When you have game content ready at launch and not pack it with the game it's just evil money grubbing...
Sure your day-one purchase code get's you some "additional" content, but I bet they didn't include a lot more content to sell to EVERYONE in a few weeks!

DLC should be used only to get great games a second life like 6 months later, not this.

Besides; most used games sell for a lot LESS than -10$ original price, thank goodness!

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
You people are far too forgiving. I won't touch any crap that comes out of Ubisoft ever again. And I'm keeping track of the people involving in the company if they decide to start a new one. I will never give them any money ever again.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Ubisoft, you are probably the 2nd worst publisher, after Activision.

Fix your idiotic DRM measures that make your games unplayable and THEN talk about offering first time purchases some incentives. Retards.
I wish there was something we could do to punish this corporate ignorance. They're violating our rights to spend our money as we wish on products we have a right to own and use at will.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
Straying Bullet said:
Ubisoft, you are probably the 2nd worst publisher, after Activision.

Fix your idiotic DRM measures that make your games unplayable and THEN talk about offering first time purchases some incentives. Retards.
I wish there was something we could do to punish this corporate ignorance. They're violating our rights to spend our money as we wish on products we have a right to own and use at will.
You can start by calling people who still buy Ubisoft games, Ubi's ... in reference to Noobie's. After I explained to my friends what they've just done by accepting that DRM and paying for that game, they tend to look pretty embarressed. I take time out of my day to explain to people what Ubisoft is doing to them. Hopefully when enough people see them for what they are we can start impacting sales. And the rest of you sound like junkies waiting for your next fix, make a little change and it all goes back to normal. NO! ... It has to stop completely. This is only the beginning of you let them continue.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
DynamicPenguin said:
I agree with the DRM thing, but umm... Legitimate player? Because I buy used games I'm not a legitimate player?
Technically no. Legally you are. But as far as they're concerned you're as bad as a pirate (if not worse as you're actually giving someone profit...just not them, they never see a penny out of it).

Besides, you're still allowed to buy the game used, you'll just have to buy the extras separately... So what's the issue?

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Caliostro said:
Besides, you're still allowed to buy the game used, you'll just have to buy the extras separately... So what's the issue?
Depends on what you define as "extras". When it extends to things like actually being able to play multiplayer (like in PGA Tour 11), I'd say there's a lot more to it than just having to buy extras.