Ubisoft Tempts Fate With Rocksmith

Garrett Grothe

Feb 18, 2011
Ubisoft Tempts Fate With Rocksmith

During some of the days [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107672-Activision-Pulls-the-Plug-on-Guitar-Hero-Franchise] of music videogames, Ubisoft has announced Rocksmith.

Rocksmith, a music game for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC will play similarly to many recent rhythm games with a catch. Unlike Guitar Hero or the less-than-favorable Power Gig, Rocksmith utilizes an adapter that will allow players to use their good 'ole electric guitar as the controller via an input jack.

Ubisoft plans on launching Rocksmith sometime in September with around 45 songs from notable musicians including David Bowie, The Rolling Stones and more. Ubisoft is currently in talks with guitar manufacturers such as Gibson and a variety of others in hopes of offering a $200 bundle which may or may not include the game and a very real, very electric guitar.

Ubisoft's senior vp marketing Tony Key said, "Guitar Hero is a party game. Rocksmith is a music experience." Key also said that Ubisoft will "create a new generation of guitar players." A bold statement indeed.

Details are mum as to how Rocksmith might be different enough from the ill-fated Power Gig other than the fact that players will strum chords rather than mash colored buttons. Key also stated that Ubisoft hopes that players will "walk away from the game with the ability to play songs by memory."

The major upside to Rocksmith is most certainly that those who already own a guitar will only need to run out and pick up the game and adapter. However, Power Gig was also intended to be an "experience," but we all know how that turned out. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105472-Staff-Cuts-Decimate-Power-Gig-Studio]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
If you have an actual guitar you probably already know how to play it! This game is completely pointless!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
If I can plug my bass into this, then that might be pretty cool to check it out.
Otherwise: Total pass.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well itll either prove that theres still potential for the genre or it will tank along with the rest of them and we all go back to blaming Activision for poisoning it in the first place.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
ok, i´ll probably get it, because i know how to play a guitar, but i have absolutelly no memory to play any songs...

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
From the title, I was totally expecting this to be a story about Ubi making a minecraft clone.

-m

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
So they've forgotten that the reason people play Guitar Hero is because they can't play real guitar?

Nice going.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I suppose it could work, but given the recent history of the genre, I would have waited at least another year to release this game, give people a bit of a chance to miss it first sort of thing.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Depending on the price tag I might get this. I own a guitar and can't seem to get past really basic songs. I was really interested in getting Rock Band 3 but didn't want to get a new guitar.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Oh boy: Another thread in which I can lament the loss of Rock Band: Japan.

As was mentioned above though, anyone who can play a real guitar wouldn't likely want to play this game. People who want to learn to play a real guitar may pick it up but I don't see too many other people who will be queuing up for a crack at this one.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
From the title, I was totally expecting this to be a story about Ubi making a minecraft clone.

-m
Not the only one.

On topic, this might be worth checking out if it's actually useful as a guitar practice aid. Too early to tell if it's worth the money though.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Pfft! We know guitar games havn't done well recently. The future of music games? Two words.
Bagpipe Hero.

On a serious note my opinion is much the same as has been said already. If you have a guitar this would seem like a glorified way of learning to play a select library of songs.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Calcium said:
Pfft! We know guitar games havn't done well recently. The future of msc games? Two words.
Bagpipe Hero.
I'd certainly pay for THAT, if only because of the hilarity value.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I dunno. If you need a game to convince you to play a guitar then you probably aren't the right person to play a guitar. I play the guitar (badly) because I want to, not because I had a game.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
Ubisoft can't make music games. Just sayin'
Also DDR is better.
So is Pump it up. So is guitar freaks for fuck sake, come on we all know american companies cannot make good music games these days, but i doubt it will revitalize the music game industry like the newer versions of pump it up have.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
It's been tried before and it failed. Referring both to the genre and the idea of using an actual guitar as an input.

This should sell roughly as well as the latest Tony Hawk, then...

arealperson

Oct 1, 2009
With the use of real electric instruments I'll hold them in favorable opinion for now.

Really makes me wonder what's preventing this feature from being implemented in Rock Band 3 though.  Puts my idea of acquiring that Stratocaster [http://www.fender.com/promos/2010/rockband3/wheretobuy.php] in doubt for sure.