Ubisoft: "We've Learned From Watch_Dogs' Mistakes"

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Callate said:
[sub][sub][sub]Um, I actually liked Watch_Dogs...[/sub][/sub][/sub]
I've very rarely seen people outright saying that Watch_Dogs was actually a terrible game. Frankly at some point I still intend to pick it up myself. But the gap between the hype, trailers and promises and the actual final delivered product was rather large.

Also the whole "ICONIC HAT!" business, for a newly released IP, is still funny. The five thousand different versions (hyperbole) less so and more frustrating.

Lastly, Guillemot says that he wants to invest more time and money into smaller, off-beat titles like Valiant Hearts and Child of Light, which have proven to be very successful for the company without costing millions of dollars and requiring colossal development cycles.
Wait...you mean to say you DON'T need to spend all of the money and huge amounts of time with bloated development teams backed by an advertising budget roughly equivalent to a Hollywood blockbuster to produce a good product that sells? Who knew?!? /sarcasm

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
lacktheknack said:
Would it kill you guys to, instead of immediately entering uber-cynical-<color=red>edgy-teenager-mode, to maybe have just a bit of quiet hope? It would do wonders for my blood pressure, and Ubisoft was a great publisher not too far back.

...No? Ugh.
If there's one word that needs to be wiped from the lexicon entirely it's edgy, since few people seem to be able to use it correctly. If the majority of people in this thread hold the same view then how can conforming to that view be considered edgy? I didn't realise it was edgy to be part of the status-quo.

OT: Why exactly should we give them the benefit of the doubt? Pretty much every company who has ever fucked up something so badly that it can't be defended has declared something similar.

"We've acknowledged our mistakes and have decided to learn from them."
"We realise now that we dropped the ball on and will endeavour to improve in the future."
"We at would like to formally apologise to the people we've disappointed and promise not to repeat these mistakes in the future."

See how easy that was?
I'm not saying they haven't learned anything. I think they may have actually realised that bullshiting consumers can absolutely destroy a game's reputation, which can be a major problem for them since they have admitted their desire to churn out squeals, which would likely suffer if the mere name alone becomes PR poison to anything it's attached to. But I have a feeling this is just their way of removing some of the stigma attached to the Watch_Dogs name so the sequel won't bomb on bad reputation alone.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I liked Watch Dogs, and i'm interested in the games Ubisoft are currently making, what i don't like is the feel in all Ubi games that everything is about to fall apart any second, i don't like being pestered to play multiplayer in single player modes, i don't like mobile side app experiences, i don't like that PC games need the Uplay launcher, i don't like insane system requirements which arn't warranted, i don't like that Ubi games are the most expensive on Steam.
Ubi has been making games that are extremely expensive to develop, and i don't think it needs to.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ubisoft, sincerity is in practice, not promise.
Because as best I can tell, all you've learned that you couldn't pull the wool over our eyes with Watch Dogs.

lacktheknack said:
Would it kill you guys to, instead of immediately entering uber-cynical-edgy-teenager-mode, to maybe have just a bit of quiet hope? It would do wonders for my blood pressure, and Ubisoft was a great publisher not too far back.

...No? Ugh.
Well, depends on how far back you're willing to take that.

In 2010, they were colossal dicks as far as I was concerned, with all that lovely Always Online DRM on PC. And everything since hasn't been much better, thanks to Uplay being an obnoxious Albatross dissuading me from buying anything of theirs.

I would love nothing more than to indulge some blissful trust/faith I had for gaming years back, because there's no joy in being cynical (smug satisfaction doesn't compensate nearly enough).

Keeping them honest is not engaging some petty "uber-cynical-edgy-teenager-mode", it's called "having standards".

Ubisoft can have my good faith when they bloody earn it.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I've learned from Watch Dogs' mistakes. It's why I never touch Ubisoft products, in the same vein some here refuse to touch EA products. Can't blame them if they (the consumer) stick out their hand, only to have it bitten.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Eh, I don't really pay attention to hype or criticism unless it's about gameplay and story. I played the game and enjoyed it for what it was. GTA but with hacking utilities and less humor. Humor is fine and all but it was nice to have a "real" sandbox to play around in. Graphics weren't E3 caliber but they were certainly beautiful. Watchdogs was absolutely the prettiest sandbox game I've ever played, though I'm still partial to the world of infamous but that's more due to the vertical motion. But it was an absolutely beautiful world and our complaints were just that it didn't live up to the E3 pitch.

Regardless, and I can't stress this enough, Ubisoft didn't learn shit from this event. The game was still the 12th (ps4) overall biggest seller of 2014. It is the fifth biggest seller on the ps4 of all time at the moment. The 14th biggest seller on the XBO. It also performed well on the ps3 during the year of launch (Considering that it is already the 114th best seller on that console despite the console being 8 or 9 years old).

The only way they've learned from this is if they don't think the discussion they caused benefitted their bottom line. If they think it harmed the game in actual sales (because really, if reviews pan you but you sell like gang busters, then who cares about reviews if you're the one selling?), then sure, they "learned a lesson". That lesson being how to tow the line just enough. But I assume they actually learned that generating buzz directly impacted their revenue as long as the core game was enjoyable, and it was.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
...No you haven't, it's far cheaper to just issue a well worded apology after every failure and hope the collective memory of your customers is poor than to actually learn from and fix the mistakes of a gigantic organization.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Yeah, I don't believe that one bit. If Ubisoft had learned from the Watch Dogs mistakes AC:Unity wouldn't have been such a piece of crap when coming out of the gate. Bender explains it better than I ever could.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Bat Vader said:
Yeah, I don't believe that one bit. If Ubisoft had learned from the Watch Dogs mistakes AC:Unity wouldn't have been such a piece of crap when coming out of the gate. Bender explains it better than I ever could.

Aww, you've ninja'd me regarding Bender.