Ubisoft Will no Longer Develop For Xbox 360 And PS3

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
loa said:
Shouldn't games be made with some level of scalability so that you can just disable certain thingermajiggers to make it sufficiently run on old hardware?
Last thing I remember from dabbling into programming was that hardcoding is, like, bad.
Unfortunately that's easier said than done on consoles. The difference in hardware from previous generation to this one makes it hard to just re-utilize code. They may as well be programming in two different languages.

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
Oh no. How will my life go on? Guess I'll console myself with the games I've stockpiled over the years.

HA! Suck it Ubisoft your threat to stop providing me with broken games isn't going to get me to buy the so-called current gen consoles that have nothing but remastered games I already own.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
loa said:
Shouldn't games be made with some level of scalability so that you can just disable certain thingermajiggers to make it sufficiently run on old hardware?
Last thing I remember from dabbling into programming was that hardcoding is, like, bad.
First of all, you have to realize that the power difference between the consoles arent just something you can scale. Its closer to 10-15 times the difference.

secondly, often disabling features is going to leave you with entirely different game. especially when the developers have already disabled many just to make them run on consles (Enemy AI was the first thing to go when race for graphics began for example). Take Crysis for example. They had a PC release and then they ported it to consoles. in order to make it work on consoles they had to remove enemy AI, stealth mechanics and simplify suit functions just to make it run. the result - one of the most innovative games at the time turned into mediocre shooter.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
CaitSeith said:
And not a moment too soon. Those consoles have been holding back this generation for too long now.
Is that what has been holding back this... Current gen? Next gen? Meh gen? no, final gen yeah that's it. That why the Xbone could barely manage 24 FPS, and sometimes dropping into the high teens in Dead Rising 3? A game not even released on 360? Someone is setting themselves up for disappointment, hint, it's you.

Strazdas said:
(Enemy AI was the first thing to go when race for graphics began for example). Take Crysis for example. They had a PC release and then they ported it to consoles. in order to make it work on consoles they had to remove enemy AI, stealth mechanics and simplify suit functions just to make it run. the result - one of the most innovative games at the time turned into mediocre shooter.
Don't think it was the AI that was the first to go, was anti-aliasing and 720p requirements, and that was just a few short years after release of the 360.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/09/03/microsoft-lifts-720p-xbox-360-requirement/1

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Strelok said:
Strazdas said:
(Enemy AI was the first thing to go when race for graphics began for example). Take Crysis for example. They had a PC release and then they ported it to consoles. in order to make it work on consoles they had to remove enemy AI, stealth mechanics and simplify suit functions just to make it run. the result - one of the most innovative games at the time turned into mediocre shooter.
Don't think it was the AI that was the first to go, was anti-aliasing and 720p requirements, and that was just a few short years after release of the 360.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/09/03/microsoft-lifts-720p-xbox-360-requirement/1
The Marked One,

There was never any AA for 360 anyway. the only AA that is officially supported (means the developers can implement it as an xbox library) is FXAA, which is not actually AA but just a blur effect.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Wow. The new gen made such an impacting splash in the gaming world that when I read the title of the article my first thought was "So they're going PC-only?" Then I read the article and was like, "Oh right... there's new consoles." Then I wondered why this article was necessary. Isn't it kinda common knowledge that developers are going to stop developing for old consoles?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Considering I never buy Ubisoft games, this doesn't really matter in the slightest.