UK and Australian retail stores reduce Nintendo Stock.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
http://oxcgn.com/2013/09/26/australian-retailer-clears-out-nintendo-stock-including-wii-u/

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/09/25/nintendo-shelf-space-substantially-reduced-at-major-uk-retailer-tesco/56723/

Is it safe to say the Wii U is dead? In any case, it's definitely not a good sign. I've never heard this happen for a console.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well it's certainly not good. The two biggest supermarkets (ASDA, and now Tesco) basically dropping nearly all Wii U stuff? Yeah, not exactly a great sign.

Hell, there's barely any Wii U stuff in my local GAME. You want to know how many copies of The Wonderful 101 they got it for example? 6. In total.

Sep 9, 2007
Is the WiiU dead? Not really. Not from this, anyway. My experience with Dick Smith's is that they only stock a bare minimum of each systems best selling game lines at the best of times, so all in all it won't be that big of a loss. Were it EB Games (The Australian version of Gamestop) or JB HiFi that would be more of a concern, but its not, so I wouldn't read a whole lot into it.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Do you think Nintendo could make their next console in 2015?

Though, Nintendo will almost certainly post a profit next time with Pokemon, MH4, Wii Fit U, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
The wall space for the Wii U and 3DS sections (combined) are only about half the size of the PS3 section at my local Gamestop. The 3DS sells pretty well there, but a lot of the average consumers still don't know what the Wii U is and why they should care.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
VG_Addict said:
Could Nintendo drop out of the console race next gen?
Ehh, I'm not sure they will. First off, their handhelds are selling pretty well so even if they dropped out of the home console market they could stay afloat, provided that developers don't just start making games for phones. On top of that they still have a ton of money saved up, so they could probably take a couple more stabs at the home console market before waving the white flag.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
VG_Addict said:
But they're selling the Wii U at a loss.
I understand that, but you underestimate the sheer amount of cash they have. The Wii U is failing, so we may see Nintendo cut their losses and discontinue the thing if their first party titles don't attract the kinds of sales they want.

Nintendo itself is a far cry from failing on the other hand. While their stock may have recently dropped 6%, their stock is still worth 37% more than it was this time last year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/exactly-how-bad-is-the-nintendo-situation

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
VG_Addict said:
Could Nintendo drop out of the console race next gen?
No. Even if they completely fuck up this gen, they have enough money to weather out a couple of hiccups. Besides the 3DS is pretty much printing money at this point.
VG_Addict said:
But they're selling the Wii U at a loss.
You're acting as if this is the first time this has happened.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I can't see Nintendo dropping out anytime soon seeing as how they are minted as fuck and their 3DS selling like hotcakes.

Also hearing of low stocks in the UK isn't going to stop me from buying a Wii U.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So I guess that means by the time the Wii-U might actually become attractive in both price and game library, it'll be so obscure you won't even be able to get one.

It's the Gamecube for me all over again.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
For what it's worth: no. For one, the Wii U is now seeing a bunch of games come out which have raised the profile awareness of the system.
And yet it's selling less in Japan than the PSP. Yes, you read that right.

It's not dead of course, but let's not kid ourselves here: it's not doing particularly well and a large part of that has been Nintendo making a host of bad decisions with this thing.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Vivi22 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
For what it's worth: no. For one, the Wii U is now seeing a bunch of games come out which have raised the profile awareness of the system.
And yet it's selling less in Japan than the PSP. Yes, you read that right.

It's not dead of course, but let's not kid ourselves here: it's not doing particularly well and a large part of that has been Nintendo making a host of bad decisions with this thing.
Can you source this for me? I can't find reliable sales data on the PSP in Japan. What I have seen is pretty contradictory.

Edit: Actually, the more and more I look the more and more I see the Wii U is consistently outselling the PSP in Japan. Are you sure you got this right?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
VG_Addict said:
Is it safe to say the Wii U is dead?
No, it really isn't. Just wait, once Nintendo comes out with a new Zelda game and "New super mario bros: another bloody one" I think we will see WiiU sales spike immensely. Nindendo consoles have always been carried largely by first party titles, something which the WiiU was lacking. As for my personal feelings, currently the WiiU has exactly one game I care about, so if I ever do buy one it won't be any time soon.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If anything I'd say Nintendo isn't doing well in the west because based on what I've been reading about their hardware and software sales in Japan, it sounds like Miyamoto finally got his 3DS to start printing money. It's too bad that the Wii U is struggling as much as it is but I haven't got my copies of Wonderful 101 or, Luigi U yet. I probably won't be getting their other big name titles once those are out in the coming months either...not on the U anyway...here's hoping the U will make a come-back.