UK Atheists Hope to Eliminate Jedi Population

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
UK Atheists Hope to Eliminate Jedi Population

The non-religious in the UK hope to pull a Darth Vader and get rid of anyone claiming to be a Jedi.

2011 is a census year for the UK, with the last held way back in 2001. A campaign run by citizens that don't follow a particular religion is actively going after those that claim to be Jedi for the census, which was actually very common 10 years ago, to hopefully ensure that the results are as accurate as possible.

The government uses census data to determine government policy and funding in various areas, including that of faith-based schools and organizations. The group running the "You're Not a Jedi [http://www.yourenotajedi.com/]" campaign claims that "Jedi" is not an acceptable religion and hopes that people will check "No Religion" in the census instead of saying that they follow the ways of the Force.

"If your religion is of low enough importance to you to that you are willing to put in a religion from 3 good sci-fi films from years ago, and 3 more recent rubbish ones,please consider ticking 'No Religion' instead," the campaign writes. "By ticking 'No Religion', you will ensure that the Government receives an unambiguous message about the number of non-religious people in the UK."

In 2001, nearly 400,000 people wrote "Jedi" as their religion in what was seen as a widespread joke. This led to the founding of the UK's active organization [http://www.churchofjediism.org.uk/].

The issue is that the UK government could be getting the wrong idea about the amount of people within its borders that are religiously devout, versus those that just like to hold a lightsaber on the weekends. If Jediism has actually become a religion for you, sure, go ahead and write "Jedi" in the census. If not, it might be best to check "No Religion." The latter is probably the smartest move anyway, just in case a Sith Lord rises to power and decides to eliminate the competition.

Source: Boing Boing [http://www.yourenotajedi.com/]

OblivionRegained

Nov 13, 2008
I agree with their view, the British Government is a shambles anyway. They need all the help they can get... But at the same time its funny.

OR.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Why do they even need to know? They have no reason to care.
I'm still fucking putting Jedi.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
If the government interprets the population of "Jedi" as devoutly religious there is a bit of a problem in the area of COMMON SENSE.

Also:
Tom Goldman said:
...versus those that just like to hold a lightsaber on the weekends.
Does that sound like a euphemism to anyone else?

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Honestly, shut the fuck up people (the guys in that "movement", not Tom, obviously).

It's all the same nonsense. It should never matter for any government functions whether people have any religion at all, so the fact that it's included in a census is rubbish anyways.

Personally I say go for the high score guys. 50% Jedi or bust.

Pastafarians or Adeptus Astartes also acceptable.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Sounds like someone's jealous, but not everyone can control the force.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I don't care if people pick jedi because if I got my info right the religion was around BEFORE the movies and that gorge Lucas used the belief to base a sci-fi movie of it not the other way round. But if people pick jedi as a joke then don't

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
They're right. Taking the piss is funny up to a point, but botching an attempt at furthering secularization is taking it a bit far.
You will not be able to excise the cancer of religion by laughing at it, that's for sure.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I don't understand....

Why not just Jedi Mind Trick more?!

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
You could almost say they're trying to execute order 66 maybe? Get it? Geddit?

...Yeah I'll get my coat.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I live in the UK and I will put jedi as a from of protest. Althrough I do not really belive in any religion, and while I agree that some of the questions in the census are usefull to the government I do not belive that it is any of their bussiness what I do and do not belive in. Other questions ask if you have ever or are currently feeling depressed or what your general mood is. Here is my respones Mr.Cameron. MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Nimzar said:
If the government interprets the population of "Jedi" as devoutly religious there is a bit of a problem in the area of COMMON SENSE.

Also:
Tom Goldman said:
...versus those that just like to hold a lightsaber on the weekends.
Does that sound like a euphemism to anyone else?
Just don't say that here in the states. Certain Christian and Catholic priests may take umbrage at the visual imagery presented. Even though it is relatively accurate.

ysqure3

Sep 6, 2010
It's ridiculous to say that people shouldn't self-identify as a particular religion unless they reach some standard of devoutness. It seems almost reasonable when we apply it to stuff that seems like a joke like the Church of Jediism, but if we apply it to a more privileged religion like Christianity, it gets ugly. People wouldn't accept being told that they can't identify as Christian unless they can show that they REALLY, TRULY BELIEVE, instead of just like to go to church on weekends. It would be offensive if a private organization ran a campaign like that; it would be a significant step toward religious hegemony if the actual government decided to require a standard of devoutness for census responses.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Unabletothinkofname said:
I wonder what they'd think about the metal for the 2011 census [http://www.facebook.com/heavymetal2011census] campaign.
I have heard of this. I can't decide whether to put No Religion or Metal. :/

C_Topher

May 17, 2009
This isn't a UK only thing. In 2001, a lot of English speaking countries had this happen. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Scotland all had a significant number of citizens claim to be either "Jedi" or "Jedi Knight" on their census forms. In my opinion, it's more a philosophy than a religion, so what's the big deal. And because someone has to say it:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Bull shit. Next time Gallop calls me or the Census Bureau asks me, I'm putting "Jedi."