UK Atheists Hope to Eliminate Jedi Population

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Drasvin said:
While I realize that the majority of the Jedi thing on the UK census is probably a joke, I could honestly see Jediism (though I have a feeling that's not how the religion as a whole should be called) being an honest to goodness religion. The Star Wars movies and expanded universe set out a set of philosophies and principles that the Jedi follow and belief in the Force, that which binds the whole universe together
I would imagine that it would be similar to budhism, except the fat avatar would also have a beird.... and often a checkerd shirt.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Oh, wow. Till now i though Bill Bailey was joking when he said that most people in Britain when pressed about our faith will simply say 'Jedi'.

SoulIsTheGoal

Nov 25, 2010
A friend of mine told me about this campaign before I got my census and it makes me legitimately angry. On one hand the "Jedi Joke" is ten years old. On the other hand it's still funny. I am atheist and I wrote no religion. My friend is atheist and he is putting "Sith Lord". Both, in my eyes, are just as valid as each other.

All religions, no matter which they are, contain an element of fiction. If Jedi becomes legitimate and people start adopting a philosophy about balance and peace I'm all up for that.

I'm not religious, but I'm also not an arsehole.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
I really hate the people going around saying "don't put Jedi as your religion" In the last census 70% of people identified as Catholic, despite that according to other polls 60% of us identify as non-religious and a greater number don't attend regular worship. Maybe we should tell people not to identify as Catholics?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
C_Topher said:
This isn't a UK only thing. In 2001, a lot of English speaking countries had this happen. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Scotland all had a significant number of citizens claim to be either "Jedi" or "Jedi Knight" on their census forms. In my opinion, it's more a philosophy than a religion, so what's the big deal. And because someone has to say it:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
I note the way you refer to the UK and Scotland as if they are two seperate things. Scotland isn't completely independent from Westminster yet (and hopefully, it never will be).

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
mortalkiller said:
i still can't decide
should i believe there are bacteria in my blood controlling me?
Beats a invisible man in the sky who loves and hates you all at the same time.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Carlston said:
mortalkiller said:
i still can't decide
should i believe there are bacteria in my blood controlling me?
Beats a invisible man in the sky who loves and hates you all at the same time.
Oh I dunno. Some people are into that sort of thing.

Jamie Potton

Jul 7, 2010
I agree as an atheist that the government should know how few of us actually care about religion

however, the church of Jediism has better views than most major religions

DRobert

Feb 5, 2011
The census can be useful to social scientists and historians. It can also assist the government in the planning and delivery of services. For example, say some people are planning to build a religious building. It would be quite useful in determining whether to build the building and, if so, what size to make it if the local council knows what the likely demand for it would be.

Also, to slightly alter the words of Richard Dawking (who was quoting someone else that I can't recall): "(Social) science is intersting and if you don't agree you can f*&k off" or at least stop screwing the data for those of us who actually do care.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Caliostro said:
Honestly, shut the fuck up people (the guys in that "movement", not Tom, obviously).

It's all the same nonsense. It should never matter for any government functions whether people have any religion at all, so the fact that it's included in a census is rubbish anyways.

Personally I say go for the high score guys. 50% Jedi or bust.

Pastafarians or Adeptus Astartes also acceptable.
I'd go for Ecclesiarch then. All hail the god emperor!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Flauros said:
GonzoGamer said:
fix-the-spade said:
What if I get a red pen and scrawl BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD across religion.

Will they file that under 'other'?
It depends if you make contributions to the Church of the Betrayer or Our Lady of the Skull Throne.

I'm cool with Atheists and everything: I usually get the sentiment. But I don't get this. It seems like they're trying to get people to convert, but that's one of the things they criticize religion of doing.

Until Jedi's start throwing thermal detonators in abortion clinics, molesting younglings, or start performing public force choakings on women who cheat on their husbands, I think the atheists should leave them alone.
does noone get the article? It even says if your actually a Jedi, then put Jedi. Just dont LIE about what religion you are, because its fucking up the results.

Pretty basic, if you ask me.
I get the article (just not the sentiment; atheists shouldn't be sentimental) but it also says that they understand that these "Jedis" are obviously fed up with the traditional religions. Atheists should count the them all as a win for them and move on to the actual real problems that religion can cause.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
similar.squirrel said:
wildcard9 said:
similar.squirrel said:
They're right. Taking the piss is funny up to a point, but botching an attempt at furthering secularization is taking it a bit far.
You will not be able to excise the cancer of religion by laughing at it, that's for sure.
...and you won't get anywhere by comparing religion to a deadly disease. As a non-practicing Christian I firmly believe in the Trinity and Jesus as my savior, but I'm not ready to make the commitment just yet. Despite that, I know better than marginalizing or belittling someone else's beliefs because you won't get anywhere doing that. All individuals, religious or not, react to hostility to their beliefs; some better than others.
As an idea, religious belief displays quite a few similarities to the behaviour of cancerous cells.
I wasn't trying to belittle anybody's belief; I was merely expressing the opinion that the social organism would be better off without faith, and certainly without the governmental endorsement of faith. Apologies if it came off as deliberately offensive.
Apology accepted. A little common courtesy, even on the internet, goes a long way.