UK Game Prices Could Rise in New Year

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
How about, you don't change the cost and understand what a fair amount of money is you greedy bastards.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Banks need bailouts? Here ya go...
People need money? Go duck yourselves. Tax increase incoming!

Way to go, governments. Way to go.

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
OT: *insert Euro symbol here*1 isn't too bad, at least. Damn taxes.
I hate to do this, but if you meant the £ sign, that is not Euro.

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
jamez525 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
OT: *insert Pound symbol here*1 isn't too bad, at least. Damn taxes.
I hate to do this, but if you meant the £ sign, that is not Euro.
I fixed it.
Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, that just would have been in the back of my mind for the next 10 minutes if I hadn't mentioned it.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Will be very interesting to see if they end up charging £40.99 for a brand new game. Hopefully this isn't the start of another trend in price increases 'a la' back in the SNES/Mega Drive days when Super Street Fighter 2 was £69.99. I actually paid that too. What a mug I was!

Christ a decent loaf of bread is £1.30 now. Not like Zimbabwe ridiculous though.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Of course, when VAT was cut we didn't see an decrease in game prices, did we? >=\

(Quite the opposite in fact! I think it was during the temporary VAT cut that I saw some of the first games retailing at the £40 mark! D= )

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Way to combat Used Game sales. Raise the price of your NEW games so ppl have even MORE incentive to buy used ('._.)b

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
As GAME UKs online prices are generally rounded to the nearest 5 pound, I'd expect them to see if they can absorb the cost and hope not having a sudden increase in price encourages more customers.

Though it all depends on how much of a margin they're working with. They might just ramp everything up 5 pounds keep their prices neat.

I'm thankful for their price guarentee for my Crysis 2 preorder however, I won't pay more either way.

BTW, am in Australia, I just buy from the UK when I want an actual copy of a game, or the preorder is slow coming up on steam. Or the damn publisher has regionalised the price.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
Well, this confirms it. I'm never going back to retail. I was beginning to rely on Steam anyway. I love having a physical copy of a game, but if prices are rising... I'm sticking to the internet.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
If you buy from retail stores you are already getting fleeced, when will people stop throwing money away in shops when we have the INTERNET, where prices are cheap, there are no queues and you don't have to put up with a spotty teenager judging your purchase

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
That's not good! If the poms get a price hike then Australia will be effected by it too and we'll get a price hike since ours games are from PAL region as well. We already pay AU$99.95-119.95 a 1 GBP raise could see me paying AU$104.95-124.95 or even more.

Sucks to be PAL!

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
Ranooth said:
And this is why i buy online. Play and Amazon, i salute you!
Same, when I see new titles in stores for £45 and online for £35 where to purchase them from is a no brainer.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Way to combat Used Game sales. Raise the price of your NEW games so ppl have even MORE incentive to buy used ('._.)b

Its the government who raised taxes, not the industry. The government don't give a give a damn about the games industry because its worth 1/7 of the Women's shoe industry and with the differential why would it.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
meh, I only use the stores to check if they aren't selling anything cheaper than the online stores anyway.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
SalamanderJoe said:
I was worried that the increase would be like £10, BUT ONE POUND?!

In all fairness, an extra pound on games is hardly anything, and especialy with all the deals on new games, 2 for £20 deals and pre-owned sales no one will even notice.
What'll it be now? 2 for 20 pounds... (and 50 p)?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
albino boo said:
DTWolfwood said:

Its the government who raised taxes, not the industry. The government don't give a give a damn about the games industry because its worth 1/7 of the Women's shoe industry and with the differential why would it.
Yes im saying the retailers aren't going to eat the tax hike but instead pass it on to the consumer. (also to the extent that the Distributors are passing it to the retailers) <.<

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Ranooth said:
And this is why i buy online. Play and Amazon, i salute you!
And how.
If you're buying games, you have a computer.
If you have a computer, you have internet access.
If you have internet access, you have the ability to buy everything at a lower price from the comfort of your own home.

True in 98% of cases.