UK Game Prices Could Rise in New Year

Cerzelo

Jul 27, 2010
As other people have said, there is no way that they are going to make games cost £40.99, it will either go up to £44.99 or stay the same, I reckon the same as I think they will lose more costumers then money they would make. If i remember correctly the costs of games actually hasnt gone up that much in recent time, I still remember paying £40 for my ps1 games.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
The VAT increase was announced ages ago, EVERYTHING is going to cost that little bit more. I cant see it having that big an effect. And lets not forget Activision already charge £5 more for their games on the shelves.

Buy online, buy preowned. Whatever. The extra cost can be sidestepped.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
damn that has to suck for you Euro gamers getting taxes increased around the holidays.
Fun fact: UK isn't all Europe.

This price increase isn't big... I wouldn't complain if I were form the UK I think.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Games have been running at £50-60 new for years now, and only now there's a £1 rise people are getting pissed off?
Games should be as cheap as DVDs, until they are, games are always overpriced.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
<youtube=553ITF_L0Ow>

The VAT rise is a massive pain in the backside. Not too long ago they LOWERED it to 15% to help the economy, but now it's the government who need help so they raise taxes.

Luckily it's not too much of a rise. The problem is every business will have to chainge their prices or face a cut in revenue.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Lol @ £1 per game
How silly ^^

To be honest, I already have mentally prepared for everything to get the 20% vat. Including my hot chocolate, my train ticket, my books, my games, my life in general... hot food (restaurants) and general life.

*sigh* and just when you hope maybe you can start making some savings and you cut back on all of this, the vat increase on items I require for work or just for living leaves me with not much if anything left over to save. Yaaaaay!

Azulito

Jan 1, 2009
I wonder if the decision was made by those who feared losing sales to digital distribution...

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
HankMan said:
At least you guys will have plenty of time to play them now that no one can afford to go to school.
Haha burn. Nice one m8

I personally don't like tax increasing by 2.5% on everything.

It depends on how much you spend, but say you spent £50 on average every week, you'll be losing an extra 1.25 on top of that - that's like giving to a pointless charity only WORSE!

Every month you lose £6 for nothing - and that's only casual spending

What if you wanted to buy a car for example?

I don't like what's happening.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
The effect on me is minimal as videogames tend to drop in price dramatically after 2 months of release.
(Well, online anyway...)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Azulito said:
I wonder if the decision was made by those who feared losing sales to digital distribution...
No. Digital sales are still subject to the 20% tax. As are all items except children's clothes, food, and books. It is the government raising the taxes and not retailers.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Oh come on, they're not going to be £41. That's just not how the world works, I'm sure retailers would rather take the 1 quid hit themselves than put their games at such an odd price.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
SalamanderJoe said:
I was worried that the increase would be like £10, BUT ONE POUND?!

In all fairness, an extra pound on games is hardly anything, and especialy with all the deals on new games, 2 for £20 deals and pre-owned sales no one will even notice.
dude thats messed up, in Australia it is more like 3 preowned Xbox (not 360) games for $40. I was hoping in the UK it would go up so they could feel my country's (Australia) pain, alas that seems to be not so.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
20 %, Aye? We Finns top it off with 23 %. Our western neighbours have it 25 %.

Luckily there's the autonomous Åland, where you can order games without VAT (or ALV to be exact in this case): As an example:
CoD: BlOps costs 42,40 ?. Buy it from another retailer or from steam and it's 59,90 ?.