UK Game Store Charges People $6 to Test PSVR For 10 Minutes

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
UK Game Store Charges People $6 to Test PSVR For 10 Minutes

Forget "try before you buy," Game UK are running a "pay before you buy" campaign with PlayStation VR.

Virtual Reality is really hard to sell to people via traditional marketing means. It really is something that the user has to experience first hand to understand. Additionally, you've got no idea if the thing you're about to drop $400 will simply make you violently ill every time you use it (like in my case!). Well if you want to get your hands on the PlayStation VR in the UK, Game UK have unveiled an... interesting strategy in where it is charging users up to $18 to simply take it for a test drive. For real.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GAMEbromley/status/789746618455232512]

Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-24-game-charges-people-to-try-playstation-vr] reports on the "special deal," which is charges customers as thus:

For a 10 minute demonstration: 5.00GBP (~$6USD)
For a 20 minute demonstration: 10.00GBP (~$12USD)
For a 30 minute demonstration: 15.00GBP (~$18USD)

If you opt to purchase a PSVR immediately after your demo, you'll get your money refunded. But if you walk away thinking "this isn't for me," or want a few days to think about your purchase, then Game keeps your cash.

The "promotion" has sparked plenty of outrage from customers, who see it as exploitative. Others question Sony's involvement. In response, Game UK released the following statement:

Our pay-to-play PlayStation VR experience is a GAME-led initiative. The cost to use the in-store PS4 pod is entirely refundable for customers that go on to buy either the headset or a PS4 console. The payment allows us to ensure that we have dedicated staff manning the PlayStation VR pods who have been fully trained to adhere to best practice demo guidelines.
The demos are intended to give our customers access to one of the most exciting new gaming technologies in 2016 and provide them with the opportunity to get a feel for VR before they commit to buy.

What do you guys think about this promotion? Is it a dick move, or simply a legitimate business strategy?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-24-game-charges-people-to-try-playstation-vr]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's hard for me to get entirely up in arms about it, simply because I was around for the first wave of "VR" technology, before the Pentium computer came out- and I have vague memories of paying some ungodly amount of money for about five minutes of VR time.

But, then again, that was then. They aren't exactly trying to sell this as bleeding edge or specialty, but as a consumer device- one they're hoping will get into a lot of homes.

Let's just say that while I can't see it as a "dick" move, it's not a very smart move as far as getting the thing into more people's hands. Especially as there are places in the U.S. where one can apparently demo one for free, making for an obvious and un-enviable comparison.

At the minimum, they should at least have made it a flat fee, and the demo takes as long as it takes. Most of the "experiences" available on PSVR are of limited duration anyway.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That's like a literal paid demo.
Not very smart if you want to sell the thing which can only be quantified by experiencing it firsthand to as many people as possible.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
If there was no charge then stores would be inundated with people simply messing around with the equipment, with no intent to spend money, like when they had special stations to test out the new consoles, people simply hang out there and played games.
I couldn't get to see the 3DS as there was always a gang of 'kids' loitering around the demo stations for that device.

How do you separate people looking for free entertainment from those that want to test before paying?
If one is considering laying down the cash for the device, the small upfront fee to test the experience would be nothing, only people not willing to pay anything will complain.
Its not a paid demo as such demo's are usually downloaded to your own device and use your own equipment to run it, and as such would be a dick move, in this case its their equipment they are risking.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ASnogarD said:
only people not willing to pay anything will complain.
That's a rather bold statement. This 'pay to play' approach will only ensure hardcore PS4/VR fans would pay for it, and since they are most likely going to buy it anyway, the scheme only ensures that those who are not fully committed to buying before they set foot in store, won't even look at it. And if the uptake of the other VR devices are any metric to go by, limiting the potential sales isn't going to be a good long term move.

J-Dig

Oct 25, 2011
Demo time should always be free, especially as a way to sell technology that makes some people feel pretty ill. It's a dick move but anyone who has been in a Game store since they went into administration probably understands they'll try to make money any way they can.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Not really. How many people have paid $6 to lose at a Carnival game in less than that time?

Im more bothered that the additional times are redundant. Basically $6 = 10 minutes. Its not like you get a cheaper deal by paying a higher premium. It isnt 6 for 10 OR 10 for 20 OR 12 for 30. Its 6 = 10/x2/x3.

If it was here, Id be tempted to try it out.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
it's petty, but you know what bugs me the most? don't offer multiple "packages" in increasing increments if there isn't a price break. only your first listing was necessary, GAME.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Saelune said:
Not really. How many people have paid $6 to lose at a Carnival game in less than that time?

Im more bothered that the additional times are redundant. Basically $6 = 10 minutes. Its not like you get a cheaper deal by paying a higher premium. It isnt 6 for 10 OR 10 for 20 OR 12 for 30. Its 6 = 10/x2/x3.

haha, my soulmate. probably should have read your comment before posting the same thing. just goes to show that it's a bigger problem than any of us realized.

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
Saelune said:

That begs the question though; is 10 minutes enough time to determine if you'll get super motion sick? Sometimes they take a little bit to get used too. And if a dozen people are trying to buy 30 minute slots, who wants to wait all day? It's a difficult prospect all around.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
Saelune said:

haha, my soulmate. probably should have read your comment before posting the same thing. just goes to show that it's a bigger problem than any of us realized.
It happens, no worries.

LTenhet said:
Saelune said:

That begs the question though; is 10 minutes enough time to determine if you'll get super motion sick? Sometimes they take a little bit to get used too. And if a dozen people are trying to buy 30 minute slots, who wants to wait all day? It's a difficult prospect all around.
My main point was defending the idea of paying to try VR, especially at more than a fair price I feel. Other issues may abound, but thats more situational.

Ive yet to use VR, and as Ive said, Id probably give this a go if it was happening near me.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
ASnogarD said:
If there was no charge then stores would be inundated with people simply messing around with the equipment, with no intent to spend money, like when they had special stations to test out the new consoles, people simply hang out there and played games.
I couldn't get to see the 3DS as there was always a gang of 'kids' loitering around the demo stations for that device.

How do you separate people looking for free entertainment from those that want to test before paying?
If one is considering laying down the cash for the device, the small upfront fee to test the experience would be nothing, only people not willing to pay anything will complain.
Its not a paid demo as such demo's are usually downloaded to your own device and use your own equipment to run it, and as such would be a dick move, in this case its their equipment they are risking.
Having seen this myself I'm in total agreement. Free demo=shop full of asshole teenagers using it as a social gathering to the detriment of everybody else.

I've no intention of buying VR as it stands but i'd be more than willing to pony up a few quid to give it a try

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, that's one way to encourage people to stay away from VR. Certainly worked for me, now I changed from "no interest" to "stay the hell away from it as humanly possible" without paying a single penny.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
My feelings are mixed, though I do agree with a lot of the points being brought up.

First off, are we talking about the full experience here? I mean, I could walk into my local PBTech and try on some VR phone thing, which is alright, but obviously not exactly the best way to trial ridiculous full-room experiences.
ASnogarD said:

I was one of those kids. Kind of still am. Bite me.

In all seriousness though, I wonder how popular these trial events are to the general populous? You're certainly right that they'd be PACKED with kids if it was free, but ignoring the outrage from gamers, I have to wonder if people are lining up to pay for a ten minute experience. Still, worst comes to worst, they can just make the trials cheaper or free to get the more casually curious into it. They don't need to pull in everyone who gives the thing a sideways glance right off the bat.

At least you won't get situations like the Kinect where some other dozy fuck would try to jump in front of you and start spazzing out in front of the TV while you're trying to play (Excuse my off-topic tangent, but Grown adults did that all the time. Grown adults! I don't care how technologically ignorant you are, that's just bad manners.)

Zulnam said:
Fully trained team manning the ps vr.

Fully.Trained.
I dunno, this gear isn't like a console that you can just nail to the ground and then forget about. Not to mention a person who's effectively oblivious to the real world is danger to themselves and everyone around them. Shit got bad enough with people smashing stuff by accidentally throwing their Wii remotes.

Then again, it does look like they're essentially crying poverty over this. How much could it cost to get one or two guys to handle a customer?

Addendum: All in all, I can see this from both sides. I don't think this is "driving people away from VR" like some people are claiming, IF people are actually paying to trial this.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
No one is really surprised. Game love to gouge prices out of pre-owned stuff so why not charge for a demo why you are at it.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
My point is that someone who is seriously considering laying do the money for the device and its peripherals wouldn't balk at paying a few quid to check the device is actually going to deliver, or there isn't something that may make the experience sub optimal.

Lets be honest, its rather brave of the stores to allow players to check it out before buying, a lot may put off by the test experience and thus not buy, whereas a number would buy it on impulse because... VR.

... not to mention the costs of the demo equipment, wonder if Sony provides demo units or the store grabs up a unit and later sells it as used.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Infernal Lawyer said:
Then again, it does look like they're essentially crying poverty over this. How much could it cost to get one or two guys to handle a customer?
The minimum wage applicable to the age of the people you are designating to the PS Vr.