UK General Election 4th July

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Its curious that the leader of one country gets racked over the coals and might have increased the size of his defeat for skipping out early on the D-day celebrations, while another mostly got away with calling the fallen soldiers a bunch of suckers.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Get your tissues out for the sob story of the week - poor Rishi Sunak had to do without satellite TV as a child, as well as other unspecified "lots of things".

These because of the immense sacrifices his parents made to send him to Winchester School: annual fees (2023) of ~£38,000 (day) to ~£52,000 (boarding), or about 25% and 60% higher than the average UK wage. Wow, I just can't imagine the level of deprivation he had to endure: he might have only had an Alpine skiing holiday every other year when all his classmates could go annually.

There are few things worse than listening to the rich play for sympathy by telling you what they didn't have.

Reactions: Satinavian

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Get your tissues out for the sob story of the week - poor Rishi Sunak had to do without satellite TV as a child, as well as other unspecified "lots of things".

These because of the immense sacrifices his parents made to send him to Winchester School: annual fees (2023) of ~£38,000 (day) to ~£52,000 (boarding), or about 25% and 60% higher than the average UK wage. Wow, I just can't imagine the level of deprivation he had to endure: he might have only had an Alpine skiing holiday every other year when all his classmates could go annually.

There are few things worse than listening to the rich play for sympathy by telling you what they didn't have.
Is it too late to make him do national service? That'll sort him out.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

I'm waiting for the common-man photoshoot when he hits the northern regions, Rishi Sunak in a yellow miner's hat with a pickaxe slung over his shoulder.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
He was supposed to do some last week but couldn't make it through one evening.
Boom headshot!

I'm waiting for the common-man photoshoot when he hits the northern regions, Rishi Sunak in a yellow miner's hat with a pickaxe slung over his shoulder.
Haha! Are you sure? The north is gone. The Tories are fighting for their lives just to hold on to Surrey.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

We've had Labour's manifesto. Haven't read through it all yet.

So far:
* Happy to see nationalisation of the railways is there (i'd had my doubts on that), and no compensation for failed rail companies.
* stuff we already knew, like publicly owned energy company.
* recognition of Palestinian statehood.
* But not really happy to see the constant language about "strict spending rules" and "stability". I know he's committed to not return to austerity, but this stuff sounds like it could be from a Cameron/Osborne-era manifesto.

Reactions: Satinavian

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
* But not really happy to see the constant language about "strict spending rules" and "stability". I know he's committed to not return to austerity, but this stuff sounds like it could be from a Cameron/Osborne-era manifesto.
Such is the world we live in.

Politics is often limited by the space of what is deemed credible. Labour has a credibility problem. Irrespective of their actual competence, all the attacks on them over the decades have worked: the inclination of many voters is to not trust them. Thus Labour is especially vulnerable to stepping beyond the bounds of what the press, businesses and centre ground think is safe and reasonable, even in the face of a Tory party seemingly intent on burning the country down in their own civil war.

But stability is a big thing. The country is in a weak condition, both the general economy and government finances. There may genuinely be little room for manoeuver, such that overpromising and necessarily underdelivering could then do them a lot of damage after the election. Stability is the opposite of what the Tories have offered these last 14 years: nation-shaking referenda, Brexit, rabble-rousing, culture wars, blame games, internal party wrangles, constant churn of ministers, all the whilst key infrastructure, services and social support have withered. The Tories blather on about "British Microsoft" and all these exciting possibilities. Sure, go and sail away and explore amazing new opportunites: but if the boat is knackered, you're most likely just going to sink. Stability might be dull and uninspiring, but sometimes it's also what's needed.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

"Party of Law and Order", they call themselves.

It's dubious that they ever were. They were always keen on social order, which meant that the masses were required to follow the rules and know their place. The Tories and their own were however always allowed to duck and dive, avoid their taxes, work the system and round the system, and gently nudge the police and judges into looking in the other direction when needed.

I'll grant that there was also always a moral core in there: I imagine the likes of recent ex-PM Theresa May feel strongly about being upright and legal, but increasingly the party appears to be second-rate, over-entitled spivs and chancers whose main interest is how to make a quick buck and hold onto it. Mind you, even their own PM back in the 20s, Stanley Baldwin, contemptuously described his newly-elected fellows as "hard-faced men who looked like they had done well out of the war".