UK Police Seize Suspected 3D Printed Firearm Parts In Raid

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think everyone, including the police officers, here is overlooking something rather basic.

You can't make any sort of half-way lasting gun out of any kind of plastic. No plastic can stand up to the force and heat of a bullet exploding in a barrel the way steel can. That's why you need to use hard metal which, needless to say, is literally hundreds of times better suited to the task of a ballistic weapons material.

Best you could probably do is make a plastic gun good for perhaps 20 rounds. Maybe.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Zeren said:
It's just proof that gun laws don't stop people from getting guns no matter how strict they are.
They can make it hard enough that many won't, though.
quick question.

since when do the average criminal or organized crime give a fuck about the laws in place regarding weapons?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Deshara said:
Lunar Templar said:
thaluikhain said:
Zeren said:
It's just proof that gun laws don't stop people from getting guns no matter how strict they are.
They can make it hard enough that many won't, though.
quick question.

since when do the average criminal or organized crime give a fuck about the laws in place regarding weapons?

Most murders aren't commited by criminals, but by random dipshits having a bad day with a gun on hand. As a great man (i forget who) once said, every one of us is one bad decision away from being a convict
reminds me of the 'bad day' speech the Joker gave Batman, I think it was in Injustice ....

anyway, true as that is, does change anything about what i said now does it?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
quick question.

Since when do average citizens give a fuck about laws in place regarding shoplifting?

See this is the thing, if you're going to argue that "there's no point in having stricter gun laws because everyone's going to ignore them", then you might as well argue that there's no point in having ANY laws at all.

That same argument could apply to ANY laws. And yet, guess what? we still have those laws anyway.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Zeren said:
Yeah, but if all they have access to is a 3D printed gun, they can't exactly go on a spree shooting now can they. The thing is a glorified zip gun. I can make a better gun out of a length of pipe, a nail and a piece of wood.

The whole gun control argument just doesn't work in the US because of the climate of fear and the high crime rate. Up here in Canada, guns are fairly easy to acquire but barely anyone bothers except hunters or collectors since the threat of armed robbery or home invasion is practically non-existent. I own a rifle, but it is purely for recreational shooting and is kept locked away.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
IceForce said:
Deshara said:
And I need to stop both of you right there.

got your attention? Good.

I. Don't. Care. Enough. About. Gun. Control. Laws. To. Want. To. Debate. It.

We can remove or ban them out right here and I would not care ether way, and here, being my home country and where I live, USA.

Jan 9, 2012
guys, it was just printer parts. Really. Also, I happen to be in with a group that develops these things, and the liberator is not the be all and end all. We are working on easy ways to manufacture metal barrels and bolts and we are working on and have made printable parts for semi-auto's. (magazines, trigger parts, receivers) but yeah, look up the luty submachine gun, expedient homemade machine-guns are nothing new. 3d printing just makes it a little easier and produces prettier results, but only if you have the skills to use a 3d printer to print quality parts. using a $1000 consumer grade printer to print good abs parts is harder than you would think, you need a lot of calibrations e.t.c. there is a hobby community who have made it easier but you will still need to work on your settings if you want to produce nice parts.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Zeren said:
Nobody argues that. Why does this kind of logic apply to guns only? Murder laws don't stop murders, so by that argument murder should just be legal.

Worst argument ever.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
quick question.

Since an effective law enforcement system forced them to.

It's a lot harder to get hold of an illegal weapon if the state is actively trying to prevent you from doing it. It's a lot riskier if the state actively punishes people who do.

For example, the razor gangs of Australia's early 20th century came into existence because razors weren't restricted, whereas firearms were. Later, people moved onto to screwdrivers in places where carrying knives was restricted.

You're average criminal isn't going to run round committing crimes for the hell of it, just because they have committed some.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Desert Punk said:
I always thought it was rather stupid to compare gun homicide rates between UK and the US, when UK has a gun ban, but not to compare total homicides which is what really matters.

Those sources are quite interesting, I saved them. Thanks for posting it.
Small correction: I meant to say that our reported rate is 4 times higher, which would be 300% higher, not 400%.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
thaluikhain said:
I was gonna come up with something for this, I was at work when I checked messages so I had time to think something up, but all I ended up coming up with was something for the Kill la Kill thread, and how I just don't care about Gun Control that much, although these 'texting and driving' ads on the site can go fuck them selves -.-, anyway, after some pondering I figured the reason I don't care is 1) people die all the time every day, gun or not. 2) removing guns as an issue will not really do much of anything, sure, less shooting deaths but people will just use something else to get their murder on. like maybe more IEDs for one, not like its hard to make a stable explosive device if the news is to believed even a little. 3)Till some one does something meaning full about the black market, the people who really want guns are gonna get em anyway.

pretty sure when I posted though I was up for a good ole debate, but eh ... not so much now. I'm still good for a sarcasm if that's needed here though. It's one of my finer talents after all.

jackdeesface said:
albino boo said:
Zeren said:
The UK has has 0.4 gun homicides per 100000 and the US has 3.6. The fact that the UK has 900% lower number of gun homicides is clearly to do with the fact the guns are very tightly controlled.
Oh, you went there...

*sits back with popcorn and waits for Americans to reply*

They really don't take well to the suggestion that less people owning guns means less people using guns.
*swipes a hand full* whats really funny is the fact they can't read, this happened in the UK, not the US hell this 3D printer crap would never catch on state side, not when I can go to wall mart and buy hunting rifle and a shot gun, why the hell would I print and built it my self? But country's like the UK where you can't get a gun near as easily?

:D well, you guys have fun with that.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'd never heard of operation challenger (not being in the UK likely).
It's good to know the police only bother to clamp down on organized crime when it's for revenge and not to actually protect the citizens or anything like that.