Uncharted Devs: We're Not Afraid to Kill Off Characters

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ironic Pirate said:
Hmm. The problem is that characters in Uncharted are the Main Character, one of his two side-kicks, or an enemy. All the others are pretty much inconsequential, with the exception of Chloe. So either they kill off an extremely important character, or one who gets introduced in the third game and we may not care about at their time of death, like that one old guy in UC2.
Greg Tito said:
Hot off of watching Game of Thrones, it would certainly be nice to play a game that ok with killing off major characters. The hard part is to make it seem like a natural progression, instead of just meaningless slaughter, which it seems Evan Wells is aware.
Wait till it gets to the third season (assuming they keep going with the season to book ratio).
I know, right.
Red Wedding FTW!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Devs: We're Not Afraid to Kill Off Characters
Only because they can bring them back with DLC if the backlash is too great (for an additional fee of course).

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I thought Sully was going to be offed in the second one, I really did. The fact that he actually packed in and gave up had me believing he'd be killed before he had chance to leave. On this note though they pretended to have killed him in the first and they even put both Nate and Elena in a near death situation.

If it's Nate I hope he has a good ending. I hated the jerk at first but he's grown on me... like a tumour.

rod_hynes

Jun 21, 2009
really? "the events of the game stretch the limits of possibility." That is ALL you've got after zombies... er.. the 'ancestors', A WWII sub... more mythical creatures from the second one... the one thing you have a problem with is a building falling down and they live.... GTFO

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Azex said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
If they kill off any of the main three (Drake, Sully, or Elena), I'm quitting the series.
itll be too late by then. after 3 they just gonna make the racing one then move onto sony's next console. some other dev will make cheap versions from then on[/quote

Someone's still bitter about Jak and Daxter. Don't worry, we all are.

Yeah, this could be cool I suppose, I don't know who I wouldn't mind if they killed. I kinda hope they kill Chloe, she's kind of a whore.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Hmm. The problem is that characters in Uncharted are the Main Character, one of his two side-kicks, or an enemy. All the others are pretty much inconsequential, with the exception of Chloe. So either they kill off an extremely important character, or one who gets introduced in the third game and we may not care about at their time of death, like that one old guy in UC2.
Greg Tito said:
Hot off of watching Game of Thrones, it would certainly be nice to play a game that ok with killing off major characters. The hard part is to make it seem like a natural progression, instead of just meaningless slaughter, which it seems Evan Wells is aware.
Wait till it gets to the third season (assuming they keep going with the season to book ratio).
I know, right.
Red Wedding FTW!
I'd laugh so hard if they made a big deal of the wedding, hyped it like how NBC had all those promos for the weddings on the Office and Chuck, and then, well...

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Edit: Motherfucking double post.

Anyway, I'm not sure about this. It might be done well, but it could also ruin the series.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
Hmm. You know, this would hold some weight for me, if the statement "killing off major characters" wasn't just so radically redefined for me by the Song of Ice and Fire series. Damn you, George R. R. Martin.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Unless that "major character" is Drake himself, I could care less. The charm and novelty of the "supporting cast" ceased to illicit any feelings of concern from me long ago. Hell, in the first game you thought Sully was dead for the majority of it, and his shady-ness doesn't help. THe chicks are just annoying outright.

I play Drakes for the action and set pieces. I could give a fig about who they kill in the game. Kill them all for all I care and start the next "uncharted" with a fresh new character.

Hell I might even respect Naughty Dog more if they dared do something like that.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Ohh! Been nice knowing you Nathan Drak-Ahaha, sorry, couldn't keep a straight face.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
There isn't any need for this.

A drama game, yes kill the characters as that's keeping in tone. An action soaked, adrenaline fest - no thank you.

Part of the appeal is that these characters are nigh immortal by sheer virtue of right place, right time. I do not want (attempted) tearful scenes breaking my shooting bad guys/demons/aliens/crystal imbued superhumans ... speaking of authentic...

At the very least, if Chloe dies; Evan Wells dies >:)

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
If only Family Guy would do the same thing. OH WE JUST KILLED STEWIE, BUT SINCE HE'S THE MOST POPULAR CHARACTER IT'S JUST A SIMULATION AND HE'S NOT REALLY DEAD LOL. Gay.

OT: Glad to see that they are doing this. I don't like it when the characters in games are always immortal and never die. (E.G. Captain Price)

Captcha: The Numbers

THE NUMBERS MASON, WHAT DO THEY MEAN

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Azex said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
If they kill off any of the main three (Drake, Sully, or Elena), I'm quitting the series.
itll be too late by then. after 3 they just gonna make the racing one then move onto sony's next console. some other dev will make cheap versions from then on
You still mad about Jak and Daxter then?

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
standokan said:
Pooh, I'm sure that it won't be the old guy because mentor/father types rarely die and that would be really unpredictable.
Are you serious? Jak III, Star Wars, Escaflowne, etc. C'mon.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Azex said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
itll be too late by then. after 3 they just gonna make the racing one then move onto sony's next console. some other dev will make cheap versions from then on
Lol. I see what you did there.

On topic, I creamed a little at UC3 coming out. I would be alright with them killing someone off as long as it fits fine and is needed.