Uncharted: Drake's (mis)Fortune

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=326.68464.631890 said:
As I am surprised that this topic hasn't been locked yet.
As are we all... Thanks for creating a lock appropriate topic, though.

windfish

Feb 13, 2008
Careful. If this gets out of hand, Escapist may catch the YouTube Comment Disease. You know, the one that makes any and all comment chains eventually devolve into an argument over racism, religion, sex, or moon hoax and 9/11 conspiracy theories.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Or, even worse, it could get bad enough to merit a ROMicide (nuke the entire topic/section and ban all who posted within, basically. Named after the infamous ROM incident on the Ctrl Alt Del forums).

Vumsy

May 28, 2008
Wow... A fellow Norwegian wrote a not to good reveiw and all the sudden this has somehow been a topic for a quite silly racism debate...

(By the way, milskidasith I'm not stalking you...)
(Cid SilverWing. Chill litt med utbruddene dine og rase-beskyldninger. Finn de rette tingene å klage på når du anmelder;D)

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Jeg tror du tar kritikk en strengt. Vi prøver å påpeke ting vi ikke liker i vurderingen din, og du begynner å snakke om trollene?

Russia208

Aug 10, 2008
*sigh* another yahtzee wannabe... Uncharted was an amazing game for ps3 and if your too dull to realize that then there is no hope left for you. Please do the world a favor and stop reviewing games, your horrible at it. And if you think that RE4 is racist You must be retarded or something, their F***ing zombies for Gods sake!!!! ZOMBIES!!! get that through your head? good. And now to say that this game is racist is just a desperate cry for attention which wont get you anywhere.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Russia208 said:
Please do the world a favor and stop reviewing games, your horrible at it. And if you think that RE4 is racist You must be retarded or something, their F***ing zombies for Gods sake!!!! ZOMBIES!!! get that through your head?
You fail. RE4 didn't feature any zombies, the Ganados there were infected by this parasite that is completely unrelated to the T-virus. And I don't see you reviewing any games.

Helmet

Could use a beer about now...
May 14, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=326.68464.631571 said:
I was looking at your avatar. And I borrowed Uncharted from my brother with no prior knowledge of the game's actual content so I was genuinly playing it for the first time ever. I didn't even look up any YouTube videos or Wikipedia's article about it.

That so? Well, sir, for knowing absolutely nothing about this game, you seem to have a very similar opinion of it as Yahtzee. You know, the guy who criticizes games once a week? Usually amusing at the least? In fact, I'm pointing out the thing's you've said that struck a chord with me....
Cid SilverWing post=326.68464.629333 said:
Uncharted: Drake?s (mis)Fortune
PS3 review by Cid SilverWing

This is worsened even further by the fact that the camera insists on sitting in fixed positions while you jump around and miss constantly and having to start all over. You also get involved in gunfights against enemies that are stupidly overpowered (all somehow into the popular trend of possessing the capability of aiming perfectly at 10 meters and farther away), and then we have the other popular trend of dismissing the health meter in favor for the screen-indicates-your-health setup ........ This was a horrible idea the first time around and repetition has not sweetened it whatsoever.
Let's see, if my memory serves correctly this would be taken from Tomb Raider, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, I believe the health meter rant was Army of Two, and the repetition thing was from the DMC 4 review when it was compared to Silent Hill.

And let?s not forget this game?s biggest issue. You fight enemies that consist entirely of non-Caucasian foreign-speaking terrorist-y thugs whose language is not translated in the subtitles (even though Nathan appeared to speak it to a degree). This is Resident Evil 4 all over again! The latter game was also unacceptably racist just as the Resident Evil 5 trailer is.
Taken from Yahtzee's review of Uncharted and the E3 trailer....

(kinda like how I?m doing right now ......).
Direct quote from the webcomics review

Yeah, it seems that either
a) you lied about knowing nothing going into it
b) you told the truth played the game, watched some of Yahtzee's reviews, then wrote this
or
c) Haven't even played the game, just have a vague idea of the story, but have seen reviews on this and possibly heard bits and pieces about it from a friend. You then decided to just make it up as you went.

I could be wrong. It's happened before.

And, while this won't stop you from calling me ignorant, a racist, or something along those lines, you need to notice that I'm not attacking you, your review, or your thoughts in it. I'm attacking the things you've said after you wrote said review that weaken your argument.

Let the "OMG Troll!" commence.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
@ Helmet: You are seriously ignorant and I consider your arguments misinformed. I borrowed the game from my brother, knowing absolutely nothing about it until I actually PLAYED it up to that "-----5----" part. And no, I didn't have draw any inspiration from Yahtzee on this at all; that must have been subconscious.

Daeres

May 24, 2008
There's a difference between racism and imagery that has connotations of racism. Having a white person shooting black people is not inherently racist. Whatsoever. However, it's an unfortunate set of images considering the history of racism across the world AND the history of the slave trade, which are almost the same thing.

Let's ignore the locale of the actual events of Uncharted, and whether or not the race of the enemies is that of the locals. Would you consider a TV show racist for not having any black cast members? If your answer to this is no, then it's no different than if you have a video game whos antagonists are ENTIRELY black. There is nothing inherently racist about that either, not every location in the entire world is a melting pot.

Of course, since ye Drake inevitably beats every one of these ethnic characters, I suppose one could make a quite seperate arguement that the fact that the white protagonist beats everyone up is him being white, and supreme (i.e white supremacy). Which would be a ridiculous. Would the opposite be true if a black protagonist beat up all of the white enemies he encounters? Quite clearly not. So that logic is deeply flawed.

None of these examples are racism, they are imagery with bad connotations, but with nothing in their actual meaning racism is there.

If stereotyping is racist then i'm sueing all Americans who ever called the English limeys, or said we all drink tea and wear top hats, or who said that we all have bad teeth, for hate speech, because if stereotyping any non-white person is racist, then logically so is stereotyping any white person, or in fact any racial or national group.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
OOO! Can I sue the American's for assuming all Canadian's talk like they're from Newfoundland? Wait, no, now the Newfies can sue me! Damn!