FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Undercover said:
factualsquirrel said:
Undercover said:
factualsquirrel said:
Undercover said:
factualsquirrel said:
Well I'm getting so damn sick of his voice anyway....

Also, unfortunately, my reaction is to automatically assume he's doing this for the press.
Bingo. It sure beats the hell out of sending out resumes. "Oh no, I don't need royalties, I'm just happy to be working..."

Yeah and OJ didn't do it, Michael Jackson wasn't into little kids and George W. Bush was the greatest leader in the history of mankind.

hooray for George Bush Well, if you want to find cynics, just look on the internet...

And Oh God, I just realized that that means he's going to be in evven more games.
Me? Cynical? Naaaah...

I know, I know, I really have to knock off the knee-jerk posts, but I think you're right, the irony is that making a statement like that probably WILL get the guy more work. Not because its such a noble thing he said, but because they all stopped listening after "I don't want royalties..."
Well, I was includig myself as well, and being cynical isn't bad, it's just I meet most of them on the internet.

And yep, if he just accepted the royalties, he would be rich, and I could stop hearing that annoying voice.

Which means that he's not doing it for the money, so he just wants to be in even more games.

Fuck.
Yeah I kind of figured that's where you were going, but I try to be a "cover all my bases" kinda guy. Nope, there's nothing wrong with being cynical, (unless you're just a jerk) it keeps people on their toes ;)

That's the thing, there has to be an angle! In a way I kind of hope we're both wrong, but I just find that North's sincerity seems to ring a little hollow considering the present economic climate, plus the shakiness of the video game industry as a whole, what with all the layoffs and cancelled projects.

But at the same time, his statements could be a stroke of genius, as getting more and more voicework could prove to be more profitable than royalties.

Lemme 'splain:

I was a "featured extra" in a crappy horror movie about 20 years ago that was in the theatre for about 15 minutes before it went on video, and when it did, my scene and a bunch of others were cut or altered so the studio wouldn't have to pay us. I talked to an entertainment lawyer about it just to see what the deal was and she told me that I wasn't missing out on much. I probably would have gotten a yearly cheque for like $11.00 or something, and thats assuming anyone was dumb enough to buy the movie.

And because you probably want to know, it was "Hello Mary Lou, Prom Night 2" and it sucked beyond compare. The original title was "The Haunting of Hamilton High" but right before they released it they decided to rename it in the hopes that it might actually make some money.

It wasn't ALL bad though, at least I got to meet Michael Ironside!

So what I'm trying to say in yet another over-written post is that my opinion isn't just based on things I've read, but on my own experience in the industry.

Maybe if North tried using an accent...
Yep, people thinking I'm a little mental while I'm talking to them keeps them on edge.

For the first half of that post, I was thinking, "I wonder what movie it was", and it definitely sounds like crap, although kudos for participating.

That was my reasoning as well, but based purely on cynisism, rather than any actual experience, but that's just reinforced this.

Also, I doubt he'll be trying an accent anytime soon, as he's supposed to be the "everyman" with no real uniqueness, so a blank slate almost.

Keivz

Dec 4, 2008
I like his voice, and I never get tired of it. Funny, I always thought he was the same guy from Firefly/Serenity--Nathan Fillion.

And as for as female VO's go, my favorite will always be Kari Wahlgren from DMC III/IV, Prince of Persia, etc., etc.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1312566/
She has the "tough, but vulnerable female" voice perfected.

P.S.
@Analogy: Good point.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
North's comments sound all good and humble, but it's easy to be magnanimous when you've got a relatively steady stream of work and for the actors faced with the prospect of performing twenty voices in a single session, must be more than a little difficult to hear.
If it was the reverse (him demanding royalties with a steady stream of work), you'd be condemning him.

So, what exactly can this man do to gain praise?

Don't act like the amount of work he has is affecting his judgment: billionaires clamber after a few thousand dollars if they think they deserve it. This man generally think he doesn't deserve the royalties, and is being honest enough to say it. That's a good thing. Whether he has lots of jobs or not jobs at all is irrelevant.

The Great Fa

May 25, 2008
Mark my words! He may seem to be eating humble pie, but he's secretly gorging on opportunism cake!

snow

Jan 14, 2010
LTK_70" post="7.168456.4546817 said:
It could just be me, but "Uncharted Voice Actor Calls Royalties Unfair" gives a whole different impression than "Uncharted Voice Actor Feels Unworthy Of Royalties". I read the title as if the guy wants a raise.

Can't say how much of a contribution a voice actor brings to a game, though. On one hand, a good game can succeed in spite of bad voice acting, but on the other, good actors are essential to setting the mood to a game.

A good game with bad voice acting can still succeed... But it sure does make watching cutscenes for storyline a whole lot less torturing with good voice actors. I've been in a fix where I actually want to know why I'm blowing everything up as of late, haha.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Nolan North sounds like a pretty cool dude from this. But I still rank Jennifer Hale [http://swedish.imdb.com/name/nm0354937/] as my favorite professional voice actor/actress.
Same here, Jennifer Hale has done voice work in so many games and shows that I love (KOTOR 1&2 Mass Effect 1&2, Brutal Legend, Avater the Last Air Bender and other numerous titles)

Jennifer Hale=Awsome