Underrated Games !

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
There have been many underrated games out there and also threads about underrated games but that doesn't mean that you have not discovered new ones . So dear escapists submit your recommendations !

The games that I think are underrated :

Btw the games mentioned below are all pc games.

Star wars Republic Commando : One of the best action packed Fps I have played . Challenging , Fast paced , Decent graphics and extremely well made . Its also a squad based shooter with tactical elements .

Rome Total war : Most people say that Medieval 2 total war is great or shogun 2 is great and each time this masterpiece is overlooked . One of the best RTS games ever made IMO.

Alien shooter 2 Reloaded : Its a isometric shooter with tons of guns , aliens and blood . Hundreds of aliens fill your map every second . Its the 'Painkiller' of isometric shooters .

Luftrausers : A extremely fun 2d game about dog fighters . Great to waste time on and the stalling mechanic just feels so good , you will never think of another time waster .

Zombie Driver : A over the top zombie game which is great . The race mode gives you the thrill that most racing titles dont . While the campaign is okay , the racing tournament is great . Basically , Need for Speed + Carmageddon + Left 4 Dead = Zombie Driver .

ChampionSheep Rally : Yes , you read the name right . Its a game where you race sheeps...yes sheeps . You can shoot chickens , use jet packs , force fields , etc and did I mention that you could jump on other sheeps too ? Quite fun game really , great soundtrack too .

One finger death punch : A game where your ability to influence the characters movement is restricted to your mouse buttons as you fight hordes of ninjas in style.

Revolt : A great racing game about Remote controlled cars . Truly bizarre game with great maps . Definitely worth checking out . Also it is free on its official website so there is no reason to miss out this gem .

Mafia : City of lost heaven : A extremely difficult old game with one of the best stories with a tragic end .

Runner 2 future legend of rhythm alien : A 3d side runner with great visuals , fun style and a great soundtrack .

Sniper Elite : A true sniping simulator to its core .

Retro City Rampage : Its basically GTA with many cultural references and the craziness that comes with it . Just check out its trailer on steam if you want a better understanding of what I mean .

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit : Its a platformer with a dead rabbit . Played some of it , going to continue later and it seemed good but cant say for sure.

So what are your recommendations ?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I don't remember Mafia being that difficult, apart from that one bastard section on the racetrack.

Still brilliant, though.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Rome: Total War overlooked? I always thought that was the best right after Medieval 2. It was the second to last game before unit diversity got chucked out the window.

King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame- Often marked as a Total War ripoff, this game is actually really fun. Realistic seasons, great dual-morality system, great RPG elements, and pretty solid gameplay. It isn't the greatest of games, but something that needs a little more attention.

Uber-soldier II- I'm being serious here, this game is fun as fuck. I've only shared as much enjoyment slaughtering Nazis in Wolfenstein. Special powers that give you bullet shields, slow motion, and invincibility are just awesome. I bought it as a joke, but I really did start to love it.

I sadly can't think of anymore. I tend to put Mount and Blade on these list, but I know a large majority of people know about them. Just not around me.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Hunted: The Demon's Forge.
One of the most coop oriented games I've ever played.
Basically it's a 2 player third person action game with some very featherlight rpg elements (you pick up better weapons and armor along the way and improve your characters "stats" via in game feats, you also spend collected crystals to learn magic spells and combat skills that in a lot of cases remind me a lot of the magic from Golden Axe 1/2).

Actually saying this is a modern Golden Axe/Streets of Rage game would be bang on the money tbh.

Yahtzee thought the 2 main characters were crap but me and my friend adored them: you got a big burly dude and elf chick both in equal states of undress, acting like a fantasy buddy cop movie as they go around doing their anti-hero stuff (they only very reluctantly agree to go save the world in the end) and tease each other constantly throughout but are very good friends (and nothing more), it was actually quite sweet at times.
The protagonists were voiced by a couple IRL which might explain why there's a good chemistry between them.

There's a couple of sections where you're exploring dungeons that felt like the most authentic dungeon exploring experience I've felt in a game prior to trying out Dark Souls.
Despite the game being very linear there is quite a few secrets and puzzles dotted around if you keep your eyes opened and feels great when you do find a secret area.

The game's graphics were also quite easy on the eye imo and I was pleasantly surprised to see this game had a decent lifespan, me and my friend played it over a month and were honestly pleased that the game lasted as long as it did.

This game got a savage mauling from critics overall (maybe cos they played it singleplayer? this game was designed for coop and it's reflected throughout the entire game, a lot of sections are designed with 2 human players covering each others backs tactically) and that is just a crime, this game was awesome.

The ONLY thing bad I have to say about the game and it's more of a nitpick, it's that it's really hard to not get the bad ending. Basically there's some dark liquid that corrupts people but empowers them which is central to the story. Throughout the game you find a lot of these dark liquid containers and it's all too easy to accidentally drink from them if you ain't careful. Though a cool detail is your characters look visibly corrupted if this happens, they get black veins and stuff... It seems to die over time but alas I accidentally drunk it too many times and we got the bad ending :/ Still it's only the ending cutscene that is affected so a trip to youtube remedies that easily.

King Arthur: The Role Playing Game 2.
The first one was well received but not the 2nd, not least because it was less open ended so went away from being total warish, and was more like Warhammer:Dark Omen in that it was a directed campaign even if you had freedom in regards to moving armies around, but you could only ever have 3 armies led by defined heroes (Arthur's son, Lancelot and Morgan le Fey who is a "goodie" in this cannon)
One of the cool things about this game is it's one of the few fantasy battle games I've seen that does flying units right: flying units are sky high in the air and swoop down on infantry on the ground, making it look really cool when you're seeing one of your battle hardened elite units hold its ground against multiple airborne units.
When air units fight each other, it's quite a struggle in the skies. Also there's dragons and angels and what not.

There was more of a focus on fighting daemonic and fantastical units, such things were present in the 1st game but since your goal was trying to unite the land as Arthur, you tended to face more human like enemies for the majority of the game. In Ka2 it was the other way around, the land is overrun by demon invasions and it's your job to turn the tide.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Pink Gregory said:
I don't remember Mafia being that difficult, apart from that one bastard section on the racetrack.

Still brilliant, though.
Never got past that.... so i just read the whole plot from the internet and saw every cutscene

ClockworkAngel

Nov 9, 2008
Two Worlds, and Two Worlds 2. Both games are the equivalent of B-movie material. They both have many flaws, but I always have a blast when playing either game. I always appreciate a game that gets out of my way and just says, "Here's a world. Go explore it."

I also agree that Hunted: The Demon's Forge is underrated. It also has its flaws, but it's a fun game, especially when played co-op. It has a kind of pulpy vibe to it that I enjoy.

Captcha: "Play Sparta for Free" Maybe it's underrated too!?

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
I've heard good things about a game called inquisitor, that it had terrible combat but a really fun story like planescape:torment

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Pokemon Snap - The purpose of the game is to take the best pictures of Pokemon possible. The courses are short and fun to replay due to there being many hidden Pokemon and various ways to take better pictures. Get's points for being a pretty unique concept that hasn't been done a whole lot in games.

Luigi's Mansion - A game about being a ghost buster set in the Mario universe. This was such a great concept, again I have to wonder why it hasn't been done more. It was a short game, but it was really really polished and never wore out it's welcome

Fable: The Lost Chapters - A silly action rpg with a binary good/evil choice system. This game I found to be really enjoyable, setting a nice atmosphere of fantasy and comedy. The combat worked well and I really enjoyed being able to just screw around and kill everyone in town to grow a sweet pair of horns.

Destroy All Humans - You play as an alien with the titular goal of destroying all humans. This game is a rarity in that you actually play as a villain. Cryptosporidium-137 can't in anyway be said to be a nice alien and it's great fun to run around and abduct cows and give people anal probes. The game also has a great sense of humour. Also player deaths work into the narrative by way of cloning. Every time you die the number on the end of Cryptosporidium's name is incremented by one.

Elite Beat Agents - A rhythm game with a great sense of humour. Hmm, can't think of much more to say about it other than it's really good, and everybody should play it if they like the rhythm genre.

Nethack - An old school roguelike that is very lacking in graphics, but makes up for that in insane depth in game play. Seriously, this game is freaking amazing. This game coined the trope The Dev Team Thinks Of Everything [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDevTeamThinksOfEverything]. The game has permadeath, and I find that this makes the game incredibly immersive. When you eventually get the hang of it (probably with help from the wiki) and finally start to have a good run it's really easy to become completely absorbed in your character in the desperation to keep them alive. I would seriously consider placing this game near the top of a list of the greatest games ever made.

Maniac Mansion - An old point and click adventure game with the goal of rescuing a girl from a crazy scientist. The game has quite a bit of dark humour and can be solved in various manners depending on which characters you bring along. It's quite a bit of fun to explore the mansion and see all the weird things that the eccentric family that lives there does.

Link's Awakening - This is probably one of the most underrated Legend of Zelda games that exists and I think the best of the handheld Zeldas. It plays in the classic top down style and has some nice characters as well as polished game play and dungeons.

Maybe that was too many, and I certainly didn't do them justice in my descriptions, but all these games are really good and definitely aren't as well known as they should be.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Rage: The game got decent reviews but nothing to write home about, but it feels like a constantly overlooked game. I thought the graphics were superb, the guns and items were great, the animations were incredible, the combat and shooting mechanics were excellent, and the world that it built was really immersive and well done.

I'll be the first to admit that the story was pretty awful, but beyond that it's one of my favorite shooters over the last few years, yet it rarely gets any sort of mention nowadays.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Nethack - An old school roguelike that is very lacking in graphics, but makes up for that in insane depth in game play. Seriously, this game is freaking amazing. This game coined the trope The Dev Team Thinks Of Everything [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDevTeamThinksOfEverything]. The game has permadeath, and I find that this makes the game incredibly immersive. When you eventually get the hang of it (probably with help from the wiki) and finally start to have a good run it's really easy to become completely absorbed in your character in the desperation to keep them alive. I would seriously consider placing this game near the top of a list of the greatest games ever made.
I don't think I've ever seen anybody say anything ill about that game ever.

OT: I'm going to have to go with Euro Truck Simulator 2. It's surprisingly engaging and a blast to play, especially when you upload your own playlist for it.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Pokemon Snap - The purpose of the game is to take the best pictures of Pokemon possible. The courses are short and fun to replay due to there being many hidden Pokemon and various ways to take better pictures. Get's points for being a pretty unique concept that hasn't been done a whole lot in games.
I used to love this game when I was younger.
Still one of my favorite games for the N64.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
This one might be more unknown over underrated but imma go for Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (now free on Steam, download now beat the rush.) Basically Fire Emblem In Space but without the friendship mechanics to carry you through the hordes of enemies and it can be really damn hard. I had to turn the difficulty down from recommended second hardest, to middle then casual. Even then the later fights were hard. Maybe my builds weren't the best, might look that up sometime.

It uses a whole bunch of different level setups instead of just wipe wap/kill leader thing Fire Emblem does, like the one where all the powerful ships are powered down until turn 3 so your early game party can deal with them.

The voice acting is good which is a surprise for an independent little indie game studio really. They only voice act in battles and i've just realised exactly how many pointers they took from Fire Emblem. This is a good thing. Also who ever decided that the Vanguard Cannon should be added to the game is a genius, it's a total tideturner if the AI fucks up its positioning even once and lines up six ships in a perfect line (worth using 3+ enemies in a line I think.) 2000 unavoidable damage six hexes directly in front of the Sunrider.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lineage 2 (first 3 chronicles) will always be my main pick. A detailed MMO that came before WoW that was pretty difficult but had excellent designs and music scores inspired by LotR. It had my prefer play style which I think is extinct now, along with different rules like the going red for murder and a low chance of dropping items when dying from mobs. Where you had to actually search for quests and find a set that could earn you good money or experience.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
Amongst others:
Gratuitous Space Battles - all planning, design and a little bit of deployment. Great campaign mode too.
Space Rangers 2 - Elite in 2D turn-based combat, living universe, RTS and choose your own adventure
Puzzle Quest 2 - match 3 with fantasy trappings
Atom Zombie Smasher - 2D pixel zombie bashing with artillery. You are the army saving civilians

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
BigTuk said:
Sacrifice - An interesting and unique take on the RTS genre with rather compelling stoies and unique if not frustrating mechanics. The game was good and probably deserved a bit more love.
Sacrifice didnt get much attention at its time of release as it was a very demanding game for the time and very few computers were able to run it and when years passed and technology developed it was forgotten . I am going to get this someday so I had done some research on it :)

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
BigTuk said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
BigTuk said:
Sacrifice - An interesting and unique take on the RTS genre with rather compelling stoies and unique if not frustrating mechanics. The game was good and probably deserved a bit more love.
Sacrifice didnt get much attention at its time of release as it was a very demanding game for the time and very few computers were able to run it and when years passed and technology developed it was forgotten . I am going to get this someday so I had done some research on it :)
The same could be said Dor Doom 3, and Morrowind. Didn't hurt those games any though. Nah I think it was just plain underrated. I also highly recommend you grab it. It's certainly interesting and fun at times. With a surprisingly high replay.
Yes but those games were in a game series so previous fans would buy them at a sooner or later date but this wasnt the case for Sacrifice . I will surely pick it up later .