Underrated Shooter XIII Is Back From the Dead

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Underrated Shooter XIII Is Back From the Dead

A sequel to Ubisoft's cel-shaded first-person shooter may release this November.

French developer Anuman Interactive recently announced XIII: Lost Identity, bringing hope that this may be the long-thought dead sequel to Ubisoft's 2003 underrated shooter XIII.

For those who missed out, XIII put players into the shoes of XIII, an amnesiac with the roman numeral mysteriously tattooed on his shoulder. Voiced by a bored-sounding David Duchovny, XIII is being hunted by all sorts of government and secret agencies for supposedly assassinating the President.

Based off of a Belgian graphic novel of the same name, XIII sported cel-shaded graphics and comic book style visuals right down to sound-effects appearing in word bubbles. Gameplay was a mix of action and stealth, as sometimes the only weapons available to you were chairs, ashtrays and your own fists, and gunning down your enemies wasn't always the smartest option. The conspiracy-laden action game ended on a cliffhanger, and sadly a sequel never appeared.

At this time, other than its title it's unclear as to what connection XIII: Lost Identity will have to the 2003 game, and Anuman Interactive hasn't given any information on any gameplay details either. Currently the game is scheduled to release this November for the PC, Mac and iOS platforms.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-17-new-xiii-game-announced]

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Great! I loved this game! Although I'm a little worried about the iOS thing. Now to finish up that Psi-ops cliffhanger?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Oh dear god yes finally, I have been waiting for a sequel for god-knows how long.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I never got to play the previous game, but it seemed fun, so I'm glad it's back.

What the fuck is that picture supposed to be? Is the main character killing a guy with a giant novelty pen drive in the Old West?

hitheremynameisbob

Jun 25, 2008
The Random One said:
I never got to play the previous game, but it seemed fun, so I'm glad it's back.

What the fuck is that picture supposed to be? Is the main character killing a guy with a giant novelty pen drive in the Old West?
That'd be a throwing knife on a dock.

Edit:
Also, since the article didn't mention it, for anyone who liked the game and wasn't aware, there was also a TV miniseries which later was sort of... I dunno, remade as a full fledged series using most of the same cast. It aired mostly in Canada, I think, but you can find it online.

Davih

May 7, 2011
Heh I remember that game. Pretty damn fun if I do say so. The fact that this is to be released next month worries me though. Why hasn't this been heard of before then?

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Oh fuck yes.

EDIT FOR NON-LOW CONTENTINESS: I quite enjoyed the first game therefore I am expecting that there will be a fairly large probability I will enjoy this one.

TL;DR version: Oh fuck yes.

Ezpata

Oct 16, 2011
Aw man. No console port? That makes me sad. It sounded so interesting too...

Oh well. With any luck, Ubisoft will make a port. Especially if this gets as big as it should. They're not ones to pass up free money.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Holy shit, I fucking love the first game, and I thought I would never see a sequel to it in my lifetime.

I'm so happy right now.

Don't mess it up Ubisoft.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I miss those days, where I actually liked almost anything from Ubisoft, where online passes and draconian DRMs were pretty much unthinkable.

It's been a long time since the last time I played XIII in my good ol' Cube and I hated that cliffhanger ending >.<'
Finally, we're getting a sequel! =D

On a side note... you still haven't forgotten about Beyond Good & Evil 2, have you, Ubi?.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Game never worked for me. It always kept crashing, despite my interest in it. Good thing I never bought it, and only borrowed it from my friend.

Well, at least this one will work, hopefully. And I thought it would be called XIV.

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
I was never a fan of this game. It was inventive and very imaginary, so I give them props for that, but the design and gameplay left a lot to be desired in my opinion.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Although I'm suspicious of the fact that this has been announced only a month before it's going to release, only two words can describe my response to finally getting a sequel to XIII:

Fuck. YES.