Unexplored game settings/enviorments

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
A metallic, sci-fi textured jungle home to giant mechs and magitek golems of varying size.

More living worlds that warp and reshape the land as you progress.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
World War 1, aka The Great War.

I think it would be a very interesting setting for an anti-War game. Think about it. You start off being all hyped up in your home country, and then you gradually learn the horror of battle as your friends die around you all the while gaining nothing.

Would be hard to make it fun though...

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Jasper van Heycop said:
Mr F. said:
I cannot believe I am saying this, and I genuinely mean this...

No so much "Unexplored" as "I now miss the setting."

I want a WW2 shooter. I want Battlefield 1942 with the destruction of Battlefield 3/4. That is all I want. I want it to have bots and ridiculous servers (64 players is so 2003.)

Speaking of things which have been deserted for so long that they basically count as "Unexplored", I want a return to old school strategy. You know, Age of Empires/Rise of Nations/Empire Earth (Although the latter two are a better example). Games where you start with 3 blokes standing in a field and end expand through distinct historical ages. Hell, in Rise of Nations you LITERALLY start with three blokes in a field on the Nomad setting. I miss it. I miss going from cavemen to stealth bombers,

As for settings that have not really been touched?

Steampunk. Like quite a few of you. I want steampunk. I want a steampunk Strategy games, based around invention where the players can invent their own death machines (Think Impossible Creatures, but with Tanks/Plains instead of mutants.). Or a steampunk RPG where players can invent their own weaponry.

For me, the beauty of steampunk is invention.
Finally someone else who played Rise of Nations! One of the most overlooked RTS's ever. A shame because it got a lot of stuff so right.
Trying to make my computer run it again, when I try it comes up with some error message. Same with Rise of Legends, its utterly worthless sequel.

RoN was the best RTS of a generation in my eyes. It desperately needs a sequel. Just modern graphics, maybe a few more units (The rock paper scissors gameplay was... a little bit too simplistic.) but that is all. I want Rise of Nations to come back!

But it won't, the guy who made it now works for Zynga. Yeah, the founder of BHG works for gorram Zynga. This fills me with so much rage.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
kommando367 said:
A metallic, sci-fi textured jungle home to giant mechs and magitek golems of varying size.

Colour me intrigued.

I personally just want a fantasy game set in not lord of the rings. Different creatures and environment, no bloody orcs or elves.

I'd also think a game set on an alien world after you crash landed would be cool. where you need to survive (make supplies, defend yourself, build a way to communicate) a hostile environment that seems increasingly determined to kill you, like the planet is rejecting you.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
The human body.
There are very few games that take place on a microscopic level and I always thought that would be awesome to play on, with killer cells, bacteria, viruses, lymphocytes, antibodies and so on.

If any of you know...
...that's kind of what I mean. It's hugely nostalgic to me.

There was an old German game that had the setting ages ago called...
...but it's ancient and also more of a puzzle game.

I always thought the setting would lend itself incredibly well to an RTS-kind of deal. Hell, you could even make it Homeworld-style in that it could have real 3D-environments, with tissues, blood vessels etc. criss-crossing three-dimensionally rather than on a 2D-plane like most RTS do.

You could command the white blood cells as they need to call out for reinforcements with chemotaxis, you'd have to increase body temperature to harm the bacteria while carefully walking the line between damaging them and harming the body's cells, you could have specialized killer cells kill off virus-infected body cells, have your cells release the right cytokines to trigger the proper immune response against bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses etc. as the current situation requires and so on.
You could even have scenarios with AIDS or cancer where you need to combat infected cells or cancerous growths that mimic healthy tissues, making it harder to target them and in the case of HIV even destroying your forces. Kind of the equivalent of stealth-units or invisibility and infiltration in typical RTS games.

I think that could be amazing if done properly. And even a bit educational at the same time.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
Demon ID said:
kommando367 said:

Colour me intrigued.

I personally just want a fantasy game set in not lord of the rings. Different creatures and environment, no bloody orcs or elves.

I'd also think a game set on an alien world after you crash landed would be cool. where you need to survive (make supplies, defend yourself, build a way to communicate) a hostile environment that seems increasingly determined to kill you, like the planet is rejecting you.
hey! dragonage origin totally had not orcs and not goblins in it
Really?! And not elves? And not dwarfs? Is it set in not new Zealand?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It's already been brought up but your description is basically Mirror's Edge (and to a small extent, Remember Me).

Random Encounter

Feb 17, 2011
I'd like to see some more original settings for sandbox games. I'd love to explore a cyberpunk or urban fantasy city as opposed to another modern American city which seems to be the only flavour they come in.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Evonisia said:
It's already been brought up but your description is basically Mirror's Edge (and to a small extent, Remember Me).
I guess the problem with Mirrors Edge or Remember Me is that it never feels like you are in such setting, Mirrors Edge even looks like a great place to live, more like an utopia then a dystopia. Half Life 2 for me its still the only game that made the player feel like he is in shitville.

I think the dystopia part really hasnt been that well explored, the totalitarian part as been more well represented though but the mix of both I still havent really seen it. Im still waiting for some sort of "Nazis won the war and rebuilt the world" thing where you get this sort of setting

I dont really need them to be nazis but if someone does something with this theme it will probably use this premise (somewhat close to the new Wolfenstein).

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
TehCookie said:
Original fantasy, I really like the setting of games like Ar Tonelico and most of the Tales of games especially Fenmont in Xillia. Or like Pandora from the Avatar movie, and other surreal and magical forest or areas. I still remember Chrono Cross also having a beautiful setting. Have an entire city made of buildings floating on water and bridges to combine them with some fancy architecture. Steampunk canyons, entire villages in the top of trees, ice caverns with ice flora. None of those are 100% original, but it's vastly different from common settings.
I will add that we make magitech more prominent. Blazblue's setting of Kagutsuchi was memorable because it had both unique art and the germ of a fantastic idea: magic and science being merged into a single field. The potencial for design is unlimited: magic circles formed from building, seemingly impossible buildings and shapes. I would be steampunk taken further

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
The Madman said:
It's definitely picking up in popularity again but I've always thought cyberpunk was an under-utilized setting for games. Fortunately there are a couple fantastic looking cyberpunk games in the works so hopefully that niche will soon be a bit less empty. Still you'd think it would be a perfect setting for games what with the popularity of stuff like Blade Runner or Neuromancer.
Yeah and back then, the internet wasn't really a big thing when Blade Runner and Neuromancer were made. Imagine what setting would be made now that the internet is a part of life that almost no one questions. I'm seeing people being identified by both online and real life personas and possibly, artificially induced multiple personalities so that people can live both online and real life with one personality roaming the web and the other in the real world doing his day to day things.

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
A nice, "open-world" space terrain game with a 95% focus on team-based vehicle combat. Gravity, projectile physics, movement etc based on the planet you're on and super sexy skyboxes. No intent on realism outside of the planets themselves, design the vehicles just for fun gameplay and environmental synergy.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Another one poped up, school setting, kind of like Bully expect school changes so much over time depending on what generation and age group it focuses on that one game just isnt enough. There are some japanese games that touch on that but schools in Japan are just so diferent that it isnt a very relatable experience.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
I feel as though a musical themed world would be nice, kinda like a quirky platfomer and actiony game set in a musical land or world like Brütal Legend or the Band Lands from Rayman (PS1)

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Quasar97 said:
More proper Gothic universes. I wanna see some cathedrals man!

Oooh look at those flying buttresses. :O
The instant I saw that, I thought "Dark souls - Anor londo. Fucking silver knight archers".

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
This may count more as a premise than a setting and maybe it's been done in the past, but I can't think of any examples in recent memory. I'd like to see a game set in a "traditional" fantasy world (Elder Scroll, Dragon Age and the like) but set at a time in it's history where technology has manifested itself, at least at a level where they have electricity, mass manufacturing and transport/communication infrastructures in place around the world. What effect would that have on a world where previously the main force in the world was probably magic. In order to see the contrast, it would need to be set in a world we have already visited in a previous game. It might even make for an interesting Fable game again, though maybe that's pushing it a bit...