Unimportant Things In Games That Make You Grin And Think 'Neat'

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
In Far Cry 2, you can pick one of about 13 mercenaries to play as. It has no effect on anything other than your arms (it's an FPS), and I love it.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
LittleBlondeGoth said:
Blunderboy said:
There is also this classic from Dragon Age 2.

Apostates? Prostitutes? Apostitutes!
Ooh! Ooh! Also: "And then Isabela went to the Chantry, and saw that it was...boring. Canticle of Isabela, stanza one, verse one."

It's just these occasional snide asides that really make me snigger.
Yeah, Bioware do characters and character interation incredibly well. They have done since the Black Isle days.

Aphril: I see through the walls, for there are no walls when you are somewhere else! I walk through them all, and they walk through me!
Edwin: It is a weakness on her part. A superior mind could handle such a gift.
Viconia: Ha! A pity we do not have one here!
Edwin: (Sigh. It's aggravation like this that will eventually cause me to fireball the entire party as they sleep. Yes indeed, everyone peaceful and quiet and then FOOM!)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Whenever I get the option to use the holocommunicator in SWTOR I get a little bit excited.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I like shooting games that leave your empty shells on the ground (even if it's just for a few minutes), it's a nice touch in my opinion. Also like games in third person when you're in a cold area and you can see your breath, also a nice touch.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
in the most recent deus ex if you go into the womens toilet sometime later pritchard will call you on it, and if you steal stuff from your office people will talk to eachother about the office thief

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
EHKOS said:
Matthew94 said:
Stats pages.

I love when a game meticulously records all manner of weird stats from my adventure.
This, GTA had this in one of the Stories spin offs, it was pretty cool. Also the wobble animation in SSBM was nice.
GTA had them in all the games since III to my knowledge. I would record the stats after every 30 days to see how I progress through a year.

For me, I loved the conversations in the elevators in Mass Effect. Sometimes they were just hilarious.

I also really loved the day/night cycle in the first Jak and Daxter game. It's a very subtle touch but done really amazingly.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Stephen Wo said:
In Far Cry 2, you can pick one of about 13 mercenaries to play as. It has no effect on anything other than your arms (it's an FPS), and I love it.
Josip's little bandana, ahh good times.

OT: Civilization 4, Catherine (Russia).
If you make a diplomatic offer that she refuses, she slaps the camera, and it reacts.
...maybe you had to be there.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
In Mass Effect 2, I liked the dialogue that Joker had in his cockpit if you waited a few seconds idling about.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
The first keycode in Deus Ex Human Revolution was the exact same one as the first keycode in the original Deus Ex.

I grinned when I saw that. Yeah, I remember them to.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. At the beginning of the game if you look at Farah in first person for long enough she asks you to stop looking at her. Later in the game if you do the same, she'll make a comment on the colour of your eyes. It's a nice touch.

Caedus

Aug 29, 2010
In Max Payne 3, whenever you use a bottle of pills to get some health back, he throws it on the ground. Also, if you happen to carry an assault rifle (or any two-handed weapon), in cinematics where he uses his pistol, he carries his rifle in his left hand by the body of the weapon.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Calibanbutcher said:
Jorec said:
Little environmental or graphical effects that really aren't necessary but you end up really appreciating.

Like how in Metroid Prime if you pass through a steam vent Samus's visor will fog up or if you're in a rainy environment you'll see little rain drops run down it. Or maybe some Space Pirate blood splotches onto it if you're close to them when you kill them.

The biggest one though is when an explosion goes off really close to you and you see her reflection in the visor! Seeing that never gets old. It disappoints me that they removed these effects in the Metroid Prime Trilogy re-release for the Wii.
YOu sure they did that?
I have the rerelease and I recall raindrops, steam, samus reflection in visor etc, being in the game.
That's what I had read. I guess I misunderstood it then.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Silent Hill 1 had a surprisignly extensive amount of animations for Harry. If you sprint into a wall, he'll put his hands out to stop him self and stagger abit. He also had a genuine turning animation, which was rare in those days.

Also, I would mention the increasingly severe burns on Walker's face in Spec Ops: The Line, but I don't feel that those are unimportant.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Tumedus said:
1) Psychonauts - overall just great dialog, but I love the bulletin board. Lots of games have done something like this, but these messages were great
"I just wanted to let everyone know that they did a GREAT job at Basic Braining today!" -Crystal

"And I just wanted to let everyone know that Crystal's full name is Crystal Flowers Snagrash. Yes, Snagrash. Seriously." -Bobby

OT: In Starcraft, clicking on the same unit over and over results in them getting increasingly annoyed with you.

However, if you click on an innocent animal enough times in a row, it nukes. It NUKES. In the first game, anyways. In the second one, they just combust.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Stats pages.

I love when a game meticulously records all manner of weird stats from my adventure.
While not my favourite, it certainly is fun to go through the stats pages and find weird shit they've been tracking.

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
The way that windows break in Resistance Fall of Man. It's completely inconsequential but I wasted quite a few bullets for no other reason than it looked cool!

Whenever I'm playing an open world game and I hear of my own exploits through radios, or from NPCs who don't know that I'm the person they are talking about. That always makes me smile.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Some of the scenes you get with Megatron in War for Cybertron and the sequel. In War, he has some brilliantly sarcastic dialogue, most of it chewing out his underlings, especially Breakdown; "Yes Breakdown, your constant whining saw us through," and "Yes Breakdown, I am well known for my sparkling sense of humour." In the first level, he blasts an unnamed Decepticon for arguing with him over the insanity of his plan to crash his spaceship into the enourmous space station they're headed for. Later, someone comments that a lot of Decepticons have been injured, Megatrons response? "Unacceptable! They should be victorious, or dead!"

In Fall, he has some nice scenes with Soundwave and his minions, like when he walks in and sees Rumble repeatedly smashing a dead Autobot, Megatron just quips, "Show no mercy Rumble." You can also pet Laserbeak, and he even lands on Megs' arm at one point during a cutscene. Megatron definately seems to have a soft spot for the little guys.

I also like some of the callbacks to the movie they put in during the dinobots level.