Unimportant Things In Games That Make You Grin And Think 'Neat'

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
The sound that the redirect missiles make in the first inFAMOUS when you fire a bunch into the sky, then redirect them to earth. It's just... enjoyable.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
BiggyShackleton said:
cojo965 said:
BiggyShackleton said:
For me it's always reload animations and idle animations in FPS's. Unique animations depending on if the gun is empty or not is always a nice touch, especially if you're getting shot at and the reload is taking longer.

The animations in Soldier of Fortune were good as well, especially with the .44 pistol. Occasionally he'd just spin it around, always felt cool after taking some dudes out, spinning and reloading.
I'm the exact same way I love watching the reload animations in games though that is pretty important don't you think?
At first definitely, after a point though it just becomes a minor annoyance between all of the "pew-pew" for most people I guess. I mean it wouldn't bother most people if each gun just had identical reload animations of a hand slapping a fresh magazine in, where as we seem to enjoy the differences. Each to their own I guess!
More to the point I was making you can't shoot anyone with your current weapon untill the animation completes and if both (or more) weapons are empty your screwed.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
DarthAcerbus said:
I like when characters have a stair climbing/descending animation distinct from their normal running animation.
Yeah, I liked that about Sleeping Dogs.

OT: All of the context-sensitive codec conversations in the Metal Gear Solid games. Hilarious.

The way the menu screen will show Death standing in the last saved location in Darksiders 2 and then clicking "Resume Game" just zooms in behind Death and starts up the game without any loading screen or anything is sweet.

Dynamically changing environments are pretty cool too, but I haven't seen many games that take advantage of such a thing.

Elionmars

May 13, 2009
The blinking in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I was 8 when I first saw that and literally called my dad in to show him that Link could blink. Tiny, totally insignificant, but amazing.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Games whose soundtrack changes with what's happening in game. Honourable mention goes to Jak 2 and 3. Pull out a gun, Bass line gets more pronounced. Ride a car, the bgm gets more upbeat.
Another good mention is Bully, whose soundtrack changes where you are and depending on who you are fighting(Each of the cliques getting their own battle themes, sweet), the fact that it's soundtrack is consistently good is another plus.

Another one is Bestiaries, ESPECIALLY if there is flavour text describing the monster. I seriously don't know how much time I often spend just going through monster by monster and gain just a little bit of insight into the game world.

Idle animation, really good ones show physical tics of the characters which can put across the body language and a bit of the personality of a character.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
M0rp43vs said:
Games whose soundtrack changes with what's happening in game. Honourable mention goes to Jak 2 and 3. Pull out a gun, Bass line gets more pronounced. Ride a car, the bgm gets more upbeat.
Another good mention is Bully, whose soundtrack changes where you are and depending on who you are fighting(Each of the cliques getting their own battle themes, sweet), the fact that it's soundtrack is consistently good is another plus.

Another one is Bestiaries, ESPECIALLY if there is flavour text describing the monster. I seriously don't know how much time I often spend just going through monster by monster and gain just a little bit of insight into the game world.

Idle animation, really good ones show physical tics of the characters which can put across the body language and a bit of the personality of a character.
You mean like Dead or Alive? Yeah I could see that ;).

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
I love to tip my hat and greet the nice townfolk of Armadillo (or any other location) in RDR. The option to high five or slap your buddy in the Army of Two games is also neat.