Union Jack or Union....Flag?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Union Jack? More like the Union... I can't think of an insulting word that rhymes with Jack, Union Cack?

Bloody Brits.

Where's OUR XBox, huh?

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
Union Jack? More like the Union... I can't think of an insulting word that rhymes with Jack, Union Cack?

Bloody Brits.

Where's OUR XBox, huh?
Just call them Union jackasses.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
DJjaffacake said:
Riku said:
DJjaffacake said:
I always insist on calling it the Union Flag, but that's because I am a pedantic bastard.
FamoFunk said:
Couldn't care. Stupid falg that couldn't even include us Welsh :mad:
I've always thought it would look awesome with a welsh dragon in the top left corner.
It's only because Saint David doesn't have his own sigil I think, whereas Saint's George, Patrick and Andrew all do
On the contrary, he does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Saint_David but I think the issue is that wales was never officially brought into the Union, so they were just never added.
Oh, thanks for posting that. When I looked I couldn't see it. Clearly I wasn't looking hard enough! The David flag is a cross similar to George's though so if you were to put that in then it would just overlap the George cross and be integrated in.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
In 'Merica, we call it the union jack. One fourth of july years ago, a British couple was flying it on their front porch. It sort of pissed off a neighbor or two.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Union Jack. It USED to be called the union flag, but it hasn't been called that since the 50's I think? I dunno, might even be earlier than that.

But yeah, it IS the union Jack.

Gypsybob

Jan 21, 2012
Union Jack is not the correct name but its colloquial language now, nobody will really lift you for it. I call it the Union Jack.

Also: Wales is represented by St George's Cross (England's flag) on the Union Flag because Wales was a fully conquered region of the Kingdom of England.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Riku said:
Since the new British flag Xbox 360 has been announced, people on Xbox360achievements.org have been debating over whether it is called the Union Jack, or Union Flag.

I'm British/English and honestly for all my 24 years in this country I have never ever heard it be called the Union Flag.
I know where the 'Jack' part of the name comes from (the navy) but since it has been around for a long time, it has been built into this country as the union jack. I honestly don't know a single person who calls it the union flag.

So British people, do you call it the union jack? or the union flag?
American/Rest of World people, what have you heard it called as? and what do you call it yourself?
I'm really surprised that Microsoft isn't making a US Flag 360. With the pseudo-patriotism that runs rampant in this country (well, a good chunk of the country), you'd think there would be a huge market for that sorta thing.

(America, fuck yeah)

Dec 14, 2009
FamoFunk said:
Daystar Clarion said:
FamoFunk said:
Yeeees.

Yeeeeeeeeeeees, you're tears are like sweet drops of heaven.
Sleep with one eye open, bro. Your time here is slowly coming to an end.

RELEASE THE SHEEP!!
Oh no, not the sheep, whatever will I do to the stop the sheep.

Oh look, an oven.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
The other point here is that it doesn't matter.

No-one flies flags in Britain, and if they do it tends to be a right-winger flying St. George's cross in a way that everyone else finds rather embarassing.

There isn't a culture of having the flag absolutely everywhere, unlike in the US.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
chadachada123 said:
I'm really surprised that Microsoft isn't making a US Flag 360. With the pseudo-patriotism that runs rampant in this country (well, a good chunk of the country), you'd think there would be a huge market for that sorta thing.

(America, fuck yeah)
Honestly I'm just as surprised too. American's do love their patriotism. I think the only reason they've made the Union Jack (sticker) 360 is that it's the olympics are being hosted in london this year, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Although if that is the case I would have expected to see some kind of Olympic logo on it *shrugs*

Jun 11, 2008
It is called the Union Flag at least originally. That is its name but many people stick to the nickname of it being called the Union Jack from when it was nicknamed that back when people loved their sailing. Although I am fairly sure the nickname was officially adopted as an alt in some Act of Parliament.

gwilym101

Sep 12, 2011
It's the Union Jack when flown at sea. However as we were predominantly a Naval power that was the most common name said.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
According to the Flag Institute, which is pretty much the ultimate arbiter on this matter, it can be called either.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7.2

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Dafuq is a 'Union Flag'?

I've always heard it being called 'Union Jack'.

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
Riku said:
DJjaffacake said:
I always insist on calling it the Union Flag, but that's because I am a pedantic bastard.
FamoFunk said:
I've always thought it would look awesome with a welsh dragon in the top left corner.
It's only because Saint David doesn't have his own sigil I think, whereas Saint's George, Patrick and Andrew all do
There is an official Saint David's flag, and there have been short-lived campaigns to try and change the official Welsh flag from the Dragon to the Cross. Personally I prefer the dragon, but the cross would be easier to integrate into the union flag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Saint_David

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Isn't it only called the Union Jack if it's on a ship?

Otherwise it's the Union Flag.

Just another of those little misconceptions that everybody seems to believe, then it turns out it's bollocks.
Heed this Man's words...

For he is Wise.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
Its the Union Flag technically, but everyone calls it the Union Jack so either is fine.

FamoFunk said:
If you make the dragon on your flag look a bit more awesome then maybe the rest of us will consent to it being placed in the middle of the flag.

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
A "jack" is a naval flag, but technically the union jack shouldn't be flown from a ship unless a member of the royal family's on board.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I always call it Union jack, it rolls off the tounge better.

Captcha: Magical realism
What a lovley hyperbole!