United Kingdom Privilege (NSFW)

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
sageoftruth said:
An Ceannaire said:
sageoftruth said:
As an American with no fondness for words like those, I consider it a privilege.
Check your privilege, ****.

OT: Surprised nobody has caused genuine uproar yet about this comic seemingly implying that Ireland is part of the UK.
Sorry. What I was trying to say was, I'm pleased to live among people who cannot use that word.
But it's only a word.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Shocksplicer said:
Oi cunts, you saying Aussies aren't allowed to say ****?
We say it a shitload more than you bloody Poms do.
BOLLOX YOU DO, WE'RE THE KINGS AND QUEENS OF **** OVER 'ERE!

Makes ya praaa'd ta be English.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I've always hated the concept of "curse words" anyway. I've always been of the opinion that if a word offends you, then it's your own fault. Certainly I can agree that some words are more or less formal than others, but a word in and of itself being offensive is just absurd to me.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I've always hated the concept of "curse words" anyway. I've always been of the opinion that if a word offends you, then it's your own fault. Certainly I can agree that some words are more or less formal than others, but a word in and of itself being offensive is just absurd to me.
Agreed. What makes this even more absurd is that most curse words have other versions that mean the exact same thing but nobody is offended by. For instance, say fudge in place of a certain other word and nobody gives a freaking darn. People really need to get over themselves and recognize words for what they are, just words and nothing more.

People getting offended over words is such a load of poop, it really cheeses me off.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Nah, I think I'll keep using every combination of nigga/****/fuck that I want to, thanks.

I DON'T NEEEEEEED YOUR PERMISSIONNNNN.

But really though, I keep the swearing and 'sensitive' words reigned in to certain groups of friends. Context is a wonderful thing. It's honestly kind of weird considering my manner of...well, I guess I would say diction, on this website, can be so horribly far from my real-life manner of speech. Comes with the environment, I suppose.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
An Ceannaire said:
sageoftruth said:
As an American with no fondness for words like those, I consider it a privilege.

OT: Surprised nobody has caused genuine uproar yet about this comic seemingly implying that Ireland is part of the UK.
It isnt really a hot issue outside of the North, its not like the UK would want the Republic back even if we wanted to rejoin at this point anyway.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
FavouredEnemy said:
I am not certain that using upsetting language is acceptable just because of any given privilege.

That is kind of the point about privilege. You are in the privileged position of not being upset by it.

Plenty of UK folks I know would be annoyed by using the word. Now I know it's (unintentionally) upsetting for other people, I avoid using it.

Is that really such an important privilege to keep?
That's the thing about free speech. If it doesn't protect things which are controversial it isn't free. Yes there can be social consequences for saying something stupid but the principle wherin one can say what she or he thinks in a free and public space has to work so that legitimate idea's don't get shut down for upsetting people.

Nobody objects to free speech if everyone is agreeing with them. It's when people disagree and say controversial things that free speech has to be protected.

EDIT:
Windknight said:
this really needs English To American

Though I have noticed a certain English slang word for cigarette generally does not get used when something is intended for a wider audience as people are very much aware of its homophobic connotations in america.

Though it does give me a great anecdote about a friend of my mother getting herself in trouble on an american holiday by walking into a shop and asking for 20 (BLEEP)s. Luckily, her husband was american and cleared things up for her.
Have another video like that one:

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Meh, every **** loses to the internet

http://www.nuzlocke.com/muhphoenix.php?p=1

Yaa hear, ******?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Oi you dumb twats!, you can't just go around making up stories and claiming you're from some country or other like that... :p
I mean, I didn't go through the trouble of being born to an english father who never spent any time in england just so a bunch of dumb cunts could abuse cultural stereotypes as an excuse to get away with language they otherwise wouldn't be able to, I mean, bloody hell! What's next? Shouting wankers! at thd top of your voice at anyone that walks past!? That's I mean, fuck me, you can't just do that can you?
Heh. Godverdomme! wat een ongeloofelijke teringzooi. een paar klootzakken die zomaar denken dat het alemaal maar even zo zou mogen. Wat een stelletje lullen zeg...

Yes... Anyway, what's a mixed enlish/dutch/polish girl born in Australia to do with an attitude like that? Just start swearing at everyone? Oh, no, it's OK, I-m british/australian/insert relevant nationality...

What a dumb concept... >_>

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Windknight said:

Though I have noticed a certain English slang word for cigarette generally does not get used when something is intended for a wider audience as people are very much aware of its homophobic connotations in america.

Though it does give me a great anecdote about a friend of my mother getting herself in trouble on an american holiday by walking into a shop and asking for 20 (BLEEP)s. Luckily, her husband was american and cleared things up for her.
Really? You're not supposed to say "fags" over there? I hear some people here say "faggies" also. Perhaps "fagarette" if feeling saucy. That is weird though. I thought that word had meant cigarette long before it got used for anything else by Americans. It's strange to take a simple word, change the meaning, make it offensive, then condemn any who use it.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Xsjadoblayde said:
Windknight said:

Really? You're not supposed to say "fags" over there? I hear some people here say "faggies" also. Perhaps "fagarette" if feeling saucy. That is weird though. I thought that word had meant cigarette long before it got used for anything else by Americans. It's strange to take a simple word, change the meaning, make it offensive, then condemn any who use it.
Well, to use an example, there's an article about an audio play and the writers experience of the recording of it. In the first version that appears on their old personal website and is expected to mainly be read by Brits uses the F word. When the article was put into a book for worldwide distribution, and put on a much more prominent blog site, it was replaced with Ciggie.

As far as i'm aware it didn't cause a fuss, the author didn't have a tantrum, and his fans in general weren't demanding blood and I just noted and accepted it had been changed as I could see WHY it had been changed.

And lets be blunt here... it means you cant use ONE slang word for Cigarette. There's plenty more out there. and I somehow doubt there's a very important reason you have to use that one specifically.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Accurate comic.

Funnily enough, I've called my friends **** and some of the most horrible names you could imagine.
In return I've been insulted inventively and profanely.
The idea of doing this to someone I don't love like a brother is, however, something I balk at.

Strange really.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Windknight said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Windknight said:

Well, to use an example, there's an article about an audio play and the writers experience of the recording of it. In the first version that appears on their old personal website and is expected to mainly be read by Brits uses the F word. When the article was put into a book for worldwide distribution, and put on a much more prominent blog site, it was replaced with Ciggie.

As far as i'm aware it didn't cause a fuss, the author didn't have a tantrum, and his fans in general weren't demanding blood and I just noted and accepted it had been changed as I could see WHY it had been changed.

And lets be blunt here... it means you cant use ONE slang word for Cigarette. There's plenty more out there. and I somehow doubt there's a very important reason you have to use that one specifically.
To be fair, it doesn't make a difference to me what word people use, it's just that almost every smoker I know never calls them anything but fags. The connection is never a thing to them. In fact, It hardly occurred to me either. We even have a scottish food called faggots, which is some mystery meat in gravy. There happens to be so many other different words here for homosexuals of all types, that the one American slang word is never used in that way. If I were to tell anyone not to say that word for their cigarettes, they would not take too kindly to my strange behaviour.

Pax Romana

Apr 13, 2015
The Bucket said:
An Ceannaire said:
sageoftruth said:

It isnt really a hot issue outside of the North, its not like the UK would want the Republic back even if we wanted to rejoin at this point anyway.
And it's not like we would take the north back, even if they wanted rid of it. The loyalists would bomb the place sideways and it would be an economic disaster to boot. Also **** is definitely the most used swear word that I hear.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Comic reminded me of that video by thunderf00t.
Nah, TF doesn't trigger c*nts[footnote]American so I don't have a passport. Black though so I do have my "I can say ****** and you can't" card handy[/footnote], he is one.

Grey agrees:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/593062071597543425]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
There is no word more cathartic than ****. Being British, we have to let out our suppressed negative emotions the only way we can; keeping it classy and respectable for the ladies. The ladies also get dibs on wanker and tosser. The queen sheds tears of pride, i'm sure.
Pfft, I know women who use **** more often than I do. In every sense of the word.

slacker2

May 22, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
Oi cunts, you saying Aussies aren't allowed to say ****?
We say it a shitload more than you bloody Poms do.
The word in question was '****', not 'cahnt' ;)

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
NSFW - I was expecting tits or benis... baww :(

Honestly through I'm glad I can't get insulted by words unless the person knows too much and attacks me personally obviously, its pretty silly to be insulted otherwise. Especially on the internet where nothing is serious business.