Finnboghi

Oct 23, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Brotherofwill said:
Tom Goldman said:
feminist studies

Okay, anyone got any suggestions here?
The lack of female heroes etc.
I was actually curious and, being a student, talked to the librarian, and it turns out that feminist studies have been using Tomb Raider for years... Go figure?

A_Parked_Car said:
Really? I go to the U of C...I think I will have to look into this.
I suspect we'll find it in the new Taylor Family Digital Library (The big glass building that's been under construction for way too many years).

On a side note, quite a few students were asked about this... And all but one of the published responses were negative.

luciferjones

Sep 23, 2010
The Australian Film Tv and Radio School (AFTRS) Library (which is open to the public as well as students) has had a good (and increasing) collection of games and dedicated screening rooms with Xbox, P3 and Wii consoles in them for a number of years. Its a vibrant part of the research collection right along with books and films.

Mike
www.mikejones.tv

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'd spend all my time on the Atari and NES sections. I always felt libraries are primarily meant to house classics.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
Tom Goldman said:
feminist studies

Mhhhhmmm...

Tomb Raider? No

Let me think...erhmmm...

Final Fantasy? Ok, ok.

erh....

Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball? Ow! Ok, ok I'll stop! I'll stop! *laserpointer appears on forehead*

[small]Duke Nukem?[/small] [HEADING=2]BLAMMM![/HEADING]

All I could think of was maybe Beyond Good and Evil and maybe Half Life 2 (which has a somewhat normal girl that can actually talk like an adult...and isn't taken care of by men...[small] and doesn't wear a tanktop[/small])
Parasite Eve (maybe not the new one though...)

OT: This seems to be a good in terms of games becoming more widely accepted as a medium rather than a toy.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Aww...Man why cant we have that here? Damn it...

Im so damn jealous but any ways how fun for you guys, you lucky basterds...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
And about time too! When doing the computer game courses it is always useful to have some material to play around with...although I imagine alot of people in the course will already have games anyway - Still pretty neat!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Casualty-free epidemiology, you say? I think i know what they mean.

Rainboq said:
[sub]BTW, have any of you noticed how racist Disney is?[/sub]
Nein, we're not!

Liquidcathedral said:
the intellectual value of video games is overrated, bros, though its still p. cool.
Well, many books and films also hold little to no intellectual value. It's Sturgeon's Law in action: 90% of everything is not good/not clever/not what you need, thus no-one cares to remember it.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
$9,000,000 budget for a library?
my old libraries budget was stealing books people left lying around!
Tom Goldman said:
Brotherofwill said:
Tom Goldman said:
feminist studies

The lack of female heroes etc.
i was a bit confused by what you said here until i had a flashback to last year-
something i learnt in english is that nothing is still something - the lack of something can be a more powerful point then something that exists, such as the lack of anything between daisy's ears in the great gatsby (high brow joke)

hansari

May 31, 2009
How about a game like Patrician for marketing and management fields?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/patrician_3

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Benmonkey7 said:
Give that man a medal! Awesome idea indeed. Hopefully there won't be any sort of protesting parents or something.
the key word in your statement is hopefully I think parents will complain about the school wasting there kids time. I can't wait till the day a child will come home from school complaining about how he has to write and essay on the themes and imagery of bioshock.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Wow...this is SO amazing ^^

I mean, what else to say to this? We have a growing support of backing, literary and historical significance, and the respect for the VG culture is growing beyond that of the home consoles and online forums and games.

Hopefully, bad laws and ignorance aren't the only things that are contagious, hopefully other schools pick on this. Especially since imagine what it'll do not only for the business (money coming from schools to buy games straight from the source, taking out the used game demographic a bit to help companies that deserve money get it) and games designed with certain subjects in mind.

It's relatively small now, but hopefully we see a flux in this grow around the country (and world)