University Course Teaches Zombie Survival Skills

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Flying-Emu said:
Off-topic, this contributor looks suspiciously like Seth Rogen.

Move over, Funk, new favorite news contributor!
I've gotten that comment many times. :)

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I would actually go to college for this. Sure, my english teacher would probably be a bit disappointed in me, but I'd be going to college none the less.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
gregoryg said:
Flying-Emu said:
Off-topic, this contributor looks suspiciously like Seth Rogen.

Move over, Funk, new favorite news contributor!
I've gotten that comment many times. :)
It really is uncanny.

You should call him, claim to be his long-lost brother, and then rake in the cash.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
So, someone seriously made an anti-zombie course taught at an actual university?
For real?
That is so racist!

Quaxar said:
Day of the Triffids? Who'd ever want to look into that awful film?
They made a film?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Meh, a lot of universities offer pop culture stuff like this, hell when I went to Northwestern they offered a class on Vampires which later branched into covering all the classic movie monsters. It's just a hype to lure kids into Lit/English classes. Sure some of the insights a prof can give into the subject can be interesting but in the end you got bogged down having to write tedious papers which can (and in my case did) ruin the fun of the topic. When I was done I never wanted to see another Dracula Movie again. You're honestly better off just finding the curriculum online and spending a few hours watching the movies/reading the material yourself and skipping all the bs papers and such.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Quaxar said:
Day of the Triffids? Who'd ever want to look into that awful film?
Well, very few of the survivors could look...That's sort of the point...Those meteors, doncha know.
Yeah, I know. Those triffids were so lame, the writers had to blind and basically cripple the victims in order to make them at least a bit scary. Even the horror film with a posessed elevator had normal people (apart from being braindamaged and not thinking about taking the stairs)!

Feb 13, 2008
Quaxar said:
Yeah, I know. Those triffids were so lame, the writers had to blind and basically cripple the victims in order to make them at least a bit scary.
/facepalm

You have read the book I assume? The book that explains why the humans are blinded?

Retodon8 said:
They made a film?
Two films, two TV series. There was an American one and an English film AFAICR.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
......ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Goddamnit. I had to take damn English classes again because my ap score was just too low to transfer all my credits. I'm taking a philosophy class that won't count towards my humanity section or section 1b500(or whatever the fuck its called). I don't give a fuck about being a well rounded person i don't need to take a 1 credit art class or a sociology class... fuck that shit.

I want classes that i'm actually interested in if i have to take those damn things. Like this, but no to get to fun classes you have to go through 3 - 4 basic classes for humanities and English. Humanity major get all the fun shit, i mean i'm looking forward to the point where i can take microbiology or fluid mechanics.... thats very wtf./rant

I hate humanities majors

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Quaxar said:
Yeah, I know. Those triffids were so lame, the writers had to blind and basically cripple the victims in order to make them at least a bit scary.
/facepalm

You have read the book I assume? The book that explains why the humans are blinded?
No I haven't, I only know the film. Does the book make it better?
All I know is green meteors (Superman?) have blinded everyone watching so they can't run from the awfully slow and weak triffids. I know there's a whole different story in there too, but I was only criticizing the plants themselves.

Feb 13, 2008
Quaxar said:
The films look at the plants. The plants are only the sub-plot. It's like watching Day of the Dead and wondering where the zombies come from.
All I know is green meteors (Superman?) have blinded everyone watching so they can't run from the awfully slow and weak triffids. I know there's a whole different story in there too, but I was only criticizing the plants themselves.
Read the book. The Triffids themselves are merely scavengers, and merely a side to the story's real side. Honestly, it's a wonderful book.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Quaxar said:
The films look at the plants. The plants are only the sub-plot. It's like watching Day of the Dead and wondering where the zombies come from.
Read the book. The Triffids themselves are merely scavengers, and merely a side to the story's real side. Honestly, it's a wonderful book.
Alright, I'll put it on my "to read" list. Expect me to come back to it in about a year, I don't have exactly a few books on there.
Still, if you say it's better than the film I'll give it a shot.

Feb 13, 2008
Quaxar said:
Alright, I'll put it on my "to read" list. Expect me to come back to it in about a year, I don't have exactly a few books on there.
Still, if you say it's better than the film I'll give it a shot.
Put The Chrysalids on there as well. John Wyndham is a genius :)

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
good to know they have useless courses like this to appeal to those students (or parents) with more money than they know what to do with while other kids can't afford post-secondary at all.

Jonny The Kay

Dec 21, 2008
I'm so sick of Zombies and people who think that they're going to survive in case of a Zombie apocalypse. Seriously.