University: No Online gaming!

Lopsided Weener

Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2010
CountChopula said:
Bakan: Not exactly sure, but from what I was told by my girlfriend who went to University of Wales and her brother who went to Oxford, they only really needed money for basic living expenses, not really even lodging. Their parents gave them each about 300 euros a month or so when they were up there.... Comparatively, my bachelors cost me $79,000 in tuition, plus a good 5-10000 in costs for books, equipment, materials, and basic living, for that three and a half year period.
Wait what? We have fees in the UK, and lots of them. There's been loads of controversy about them recently actually. They used to be ~£3400 ($5300) per year tuition fees, plus ~£4500 ($7000) per year for accomodation, aswell as ~£3000 ($4500) per year for living costs. From next year it's worse, since the fees have gone up to £9000 ($14000) per year. If you're doing a 4 years masters, that really adds up.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I suppose you could always rig up a cheap ass old desktop as a protocol break. Edit: well, strictly it wouldn't be a protocol break, more like using a protocol break setup as a proxy, but, same general concept.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
LightspeedJack said:
Paragon Fury said:
Let me guess....your university uses Cisco or some other access control that requires system verification before you can get online, right?
Yeah, something like that. It's not like I'm going to drop out because of this but it's just a needless annoyance. Also I'm studying Journalism, and specifically games Journalism, there are also people who studying Game Design and we are denied a service that would be very beneficial to our work.
Brilliant point, considering that not only would you be limited to 60$ games, which for journalism gives you so little to report on, but if you had access online then you could find cheaper games and easily get more written, and probably at a great neck break speed, but you, of course, would need internet access to just to access some of a games features, Xbox Live has a ton of great hits, but if you can't access one, you can't access anymore.

If anything, convince them just to let you download a game to report on, telling them that it would mean more reports get sent out. Just don't be a dick and go onto Xbox Live to play multiplayer games, just get on there, get a title, leave, start reporting, this should work, simply because if you report on the same thing every time, it will stop holding water.

If that doesn't work you can always just find somewhere else to live, probably less expensive then at Uni.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
My university had the same thing, just get the mac address and trick them with that.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
jakko12345 said:
Don't know if it'll work for you, but i tricked my ISP at uni into thinking my Xbox was my laptop via changing the Xbox's alternate MAC address... Actually i'll just give you this

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/103-how-to-connect-to-xbox-live-at-uni-or-college
I'm moving into university halls of residence tomorrow and I'm paying close attention to this post just in case.

And if it doesn't work, so what. I have many brilliant single player and co-op games.

Phoenixfox

Aug 31, 2011
If you're studying games journalism, then you have a need to be able to play online. That's... not even something that should be debated. It's blindingly obvious.

I go to Abertay university, and while I'm studying ethical hacking, I have lots of friends (and a flatmate) doing gaming-related courses. I know that a lot of the student accommodation limits you to one MAC address, or blocks specific things. Xbox Live never worked for me, come to think of it, although Steam was fine.

I'm now in my own flat, though it's not so bad (I don't actually /have/ broadband yet, but when I do everything should be rosy), but there are a few options.

What university are you actually at, if you don't mind me asking? Is your accommodation uni-provided? If it's done through the uni, you should be able to get the people running your course to intervene. Talk to them about the problem, they're likely to understand. If it's /not/ uni-run, then you'll have a more difficult time, since private halls have no incentive to fix problems (In mine, the internet went down completely at least once a week, and if it happened on Friday night then it didn't get fixed till Monday. They just kept saying "you haven't paid for 24 hour support", despite having people staying there who could have fixed it, and despite the fact that it could have been permanently fixed quite easily)

you've got tunnelling as an option, too; I tunnel all my traffic when I'm using the uni wifi on my laptop, to let me get on IRC and to let me get on blocked sites (I'm also tunneling now on this phone connection, for similar reasons). I pay about £5 a month for a VPS, you could probably get them cheaper, and it gives me file hosting, tunneling, an IRC bouncer, a minecraft server... The problem then is that it becomes tricky to use something like a games console over it, but if you can tunnel on your PC and then use ad-hoc wifi networks to get the connection to your consoles, it should work. Damned hassle, though.

As to UK fees, whoever mentioned the university of Cardiff; if they were actually Welsh, then the welsh government paid their fees. If the one at Oxford was welsh, then the Welsh government paid there fees there too, even for an English university. I'm Scottish, so I get mine paid for a Scottish university (and I get a pretty small living costs loan that I have to pay back). That's where a lot of the confusion may have come from, because the UK actually has four different university payment systems.

One more thing, actually; from my own experience with Steam, the only way to /always/ get offline mode working is to go offline when you have an internet connection and are signed in. That's the way it's really meant to be done; you go to offline mode before leaving for a trip or something, and then even when you have an internet connection, you can still start it properly into offline mode.

Lord Kodous

Feb 24, 2009
Since your pissed you probably want to play multiplayer games because single player wouldn't be affected as much. If the university has a local network you could hook up to you could play versus other people at the university.

That's what we did at the University of Akron. At UA we could play against anybody in the building. Mutilplayer with 12-16 people playing Halo 2 every night. Sometimes we'd play with teams, sometime we wouldn't.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
In my residence I just ordered my own internet connection to my dorm room.

If all that fails, you can use a VPN.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Well, my university reroutes UDP connections through TCP (or something...), which means Steam servers are unavailible... You can still access steampowered.com, but not any game servers... Which is stupid...

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
If you have a laptop (or a desktop with a wireless card) that is wired by ethernet into the network, you could try downloading Connectify and using your PC as a wireless router of sorts.
It's pretty simple with that bit of software (which is free, also) and should let you play through your PC (as the Xbox Live connection goes through your PC's MAC address).