University Professor Pledges Support for PS3 Cracker, Mirrors Jailbreak Files

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure posting the key online falls under the category of trade secrets. That absolves the failoverwhatever team, but it puts Hotz in the line of fire.

I don't think someone is protected under free speech legislation if they decide to start posting my bank pin all over the internet. But they are likely protected if they show the world how to find out the pin for themselves. This isn't any different.

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
Can not say I agree with his logic, but then again, I believe almost all laws should be willfully broken, and one should do what they believe is right. More power to him if he believes this goes against free speech, and props to him for willing to break the rules to do what he thinks is right. Although, he is probably on the Titanic in this particular case.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The damage is done, the lawsuit is about revenge and showing the stockholders sony is "doing somthing".

To quote one of the best books ever

They could hang me and yank my nuts off and drag me through the streets and flay my skin and burn me with lye, but the Pressman Hotel would always be known as the hotel where the richest people in the world ate pee.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I wonder if Prof. Touretzky would be quite so understanding if this was the answer sheet for one of his final exams instead of the PS3 key.

-- Steve

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
"for PS3 Cracker"

Thank you, Logan. Took a couple of years, but someone with more visibility than the rest of us finally got that word right for fucking once. Fantastic.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Prehaps for the ps4 they add a feature where the console electrocutes anyone who tries opens the console up, that would stop piracy. :D
What about repair guys who have to open it up?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Between the iPhone jailbreak and the Nintendo vs Galoob, the odds are not looking good for Sony with this one.

All they had to do was not take away other OS and this team probably wouldn't have even tried to break it open.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
redisforever said:
Prehaps for the ps4 they add a feature where the console electrocutes anyone who tries opens the console up, that would stop piracy. :D
It wouldn't work in the first place. Only idiots would take their consoles apart when they're still plugged in. Wait that's not it...

They'll make it to the point where they can't be repaired. That way if anything goes wrong internally, you have to get a new system.

VampiresDontSparkle

Jan 14, 2010
Well then. I suppose I should go get any and all of the journals, papers, and lectures this professor has written. Then I should change them as I see fit, and distribute them to the public. Yay for free speech!

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Cyberjester said:
Ajna said:
Delusibeta said:
I fail to see where freedom of speech is involved.
Yeah, that.

With the other things the professor had hosted, I could understand the link. Not so much with this.
Explosives instructions or violent protest pamphlets is ok but not files to let you sign your own software for the PS3?

Forgive me but I have absolutely no idea how that works.
I meant that I could understand the link to freedom of speech. Not hosting a link being right or wrong.

Sorry for the confusion.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
redisforever said:
They will be remembered with honour for their sacrifice.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Keith K said:
I'm pretty sure posting the key online falls under the category of trade secrets. That absolves the failoverwhatever team, but it puts Hotz in the line of fire.

I don't think someone is protected under free speech legislation if they decide to start posting my bank pin all over the internet. But they are likely protected if they show the world how to find out the pin for themselves. This isn't any different.
Trade secrets is only a crime when those under contract give information away.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
I wonder if Prof. Touretzky would be quite so understanding if this was the answer sheet for one of his final exams instead of the PS3 key.

-- Steve
Ha! True that!

This is not about free-speech. From what I understand, this is about how a group of hackers broke Sony's security and then jeopardized their security even further by posting security keys and whatnot online for anyone to use. That's not free speech, that's breaking and entering and showing everyone else how to do it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
If I was Sony I'd sue the shit out of this guy, and his university. They may or may not have a chance of winning, but these things can drag on for a long time and I'm betting that the university will blink before Sony's lawyers do.

Acalla

Dec 21, 2009
OK, without doing any research on this guy, lets assume he has published some books he makes his students buy for his classes and one of the students decided to scan his copy of the book and made it available to everyone for free. Now, while this is not an apple to apples argument, I would if he would think its the students free-speech right to do that? Or would he think its stealing? Just a thought...

Tron Paul

Dec 11, 2009
So to those of you that didn't actually read what the article said.

This guy went up against ALL the movie industries at one point. He hosted code for DVD decryption. That stuff that used to keep DVD's from being decoded by unauthorized devices. So EVERY MOVIE STUDIO, Fox, MGM, and every other studio and DVD manufacturer wanted his ass. But guess what? They didn't get it. The university never took his page down. He even testified in the court case and helped the original coders win.

Also source code has been ruled as being protected under the free speech portion of the FIRST AMENDMENT. "More recently, the 6th Circuit US Court of Appeals ruled in the Junger cryptography case that, independent of its functional significance, the expressive nature of source code affords it First Amendment protection" ( http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ ).

I applaud David Touretzky's efforts. I tip my hat to you, sir.

bridgerbot

Mar 16, 2009
Jumplion said:
That's not free speech, that's breaking and entering and showing everyone else how to do it.
That sounds about right.... except for the breaking and entering part.

It's more like buying lumber from a company, making it into a chair, showing people how to make the chair, and then having the lumber company sue you.... more like that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
bridgerbot said:
Jumplion said:
That's not free speech, that's breaking and entering and showing everyone else how to do it.
That sounds about right.... except for the breaking and entering part.

It's more like buying lumber from a company, making it into a chair, showing people how to make the chair, and then having the lumber company sue you.... more like that.
Only the the lumber here would be security codes and whatnot, and by showing people how to make the chair you give people those security codes, and then the company sues you.

So, yeah, breaking and entering sounds about right to me. I dunno, it's all a big mess, so if anyone would like to give clarification over what is going on with failOverflow and those hackers feel free to do so.