University Threatens Criminal Charges Over Firefly Poster

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ColdStorage said:
Unfortunately due to what's happened in US Universities in the past, he should have erred on the side of caution, not only is it insensitive but it could trigger PTS in someone.
I'm sorry, what?

If a poster of Malcom Reynolds triggers PTSD in someone, then they've got far bigger problems than that.

Ridiculously over-cautious. Universities NEED to have something that will offend each and every one of the students. Because a picture of the Killing Fields or the like certainly should offend them. And that's what they NEED to teach.
I'm not saying its the be all and end all argument, that and you'd be surprised at what triggers PTS, chances are you wouldn't be in Uni but that's not the point.

I'm just saying he should have erred on the side of caution, opening a discussion about it instead of escalating things is what a wiser head would have done, being a wily old fox instead of ramping up the "anarchy" as it were.

There are several things we do not know about this situation, all that's being reported on is that the Uni Police are fascist's (no disrespect to Andy Chalk's journalistic integrity, he's actually my fav journo!), Firefly is pretty obscure to the mainstream and the head of the Uni Police might not have seen the funny side of it with recent school shootings.

If he'd explained himself properly then he might have still had that poster up.

Also of note, if your that desperate to have a TV quote poster on your wall then you have issues yourself, its only a fucking poster, stop acting like a child, your rights have not been taken away, only your Nathan Fillion poster has.

flatten_the_skyline

Jul 21, 2009
I had to take down my anti-nuclear Poster from my apartment door, because obviously, the door doesn't belong to the apartment, but to the building. WTF? And when I put the German flag on my doormat with the words "please wipe your feet" on it, someone always turned it around. So I put a note saying "this is called freedom of expression, you know" on the other side... And that guy stole my freaking doormat! Pretty much shows how high German nationalists value freedom of expression... A friend of mine took revenge on the house one night when he got drunk and threw all doormats down the elevator shaft.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Also of note, if your that desperate to have a TV quote poster on your wall then you have issues yourself, its only a fucking poster, stop acting like a child, your rights have not been taken away, only your Nathan Fillion poster has.
It's the principle of the matter. It's a freakin' university. The very definition of freedom of expression. These aren't even children, these are adults, and if you genuinely think they haven't been exposed to anything to do with violence, then there's something seriously wrong with you. Nobody is going to be offended by it. That Fascism poster? That didn't show anything remotely distasteful. One stick-figure hitting another stick-figure with a baton is NOT depicting violence. It's cartoon violence.

In this country, also, I can guarantee that practically every university student knows what Firefly is. The people that go on to higher education are generally the type of people that have been exposed to Firefly at some point. University students are not 'mainstream'. No student will misunderstand the poster. Either they'll recognise it, or inquire as to its origins.

It's not about crying over losing a poster. It's about a system that is totally ridiculous and for some reason cannot comprehend that the word 'kill' does not trigger a command in somebody's head.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Ser Imp said:
Curse their sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Yeah, what are they afraid of? It's the terrifying space monkeys again, isn't it?

I say, Browncoats! March to wisconsin! Remember, we are too pretty to die!

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Seriously, students as a whole are terrible about thinking things through.
Haha, loved it.

Maybe if the teacher had a Che Guevara poster no one would have complained.

After all Che Guevara is a hero to all students, and they honour his name for fighting capitalism by buying posters of him, congrats guys, I'm not the only one that see's the irony there right?.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
ColdStorage said:
After all Che Guevara is a hero to all students, and they honour his name for fighting capitalism by buying posters of him, congrats guys, I'm not the only one that see's the irony there right?.
You do realize most of those T-shirts and posters are bought by people who don't know who he is, right?

Reading Marx in Starbucks, now that's student irony.

Generic Gamer said:
I agree that this was stupid, but I take minor exception to this part. Universities are NOT hubs of free and open discussion, they're actually very restricted, just in the other direction from normal society. Having a political opinion that is unpopular can get you shouted at and even attacked and I'm just referring to happening to support Conservative policy here!
It is always difficult to break conformity. This is true in any environment in which one position is dominant. If you were at Oxbridge or the LSE, I don't think you'd find the same problem.

Also, I spent my undergraduate time in one of the most left wing universities in the country, noone ever got attacked.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Staskala said:
Beryl77 said:
Oh and what in the world is that and why would a university need something like that?
campus threat assessment team
As far as I know, those were established in a knee-jerk reaction after Vtech.
Although I assumed it was for protection against, you know, actual violence not posters that mention "violent acts" or some shit.
Quite the bastardization, even if the idea was somewhat dubious in the first place.
I'm just glad nobody saw the inside of my dorm room then later apartment when I had my 28 Weeks Later 'MAINTAIN THE QUARANTINE' poster on the inside of the door. They might have actually thought I was advocating a violent enforcement of some kind of quarantine.

OT: I can only imagine him and the Chancellor talking, and the Chancellor goes, "Hey, you want to be Chancellor of this university?!"

"Yes."

"Yeah...well you can't."

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
I agree that this was stupid, but I take minor exception to this part. Universities are NOT hubs of free and open discussion, they're actually very restricted, just in the other direction from normal society. Having a political opinion that is unpopular can get you shouted at and even attacked and I'm just referring to happening to support Conservative policy here.
Now, going to a liberal arts school, albeit in Texas, the conservatives do a hell of a lot more shouting. They seemed to be trying to shout me down while I walked to class while they were in the 'free speech zone' or whatever the hell it was called. They obnoxious d-bags to say the least.

No, I don't care about your political opinion guy, I'm trying to get to class on time. Now stop stepping in my way and shouting in my face.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
evilthecat said:
You do realize most of those T-shirts and posters are bought by people who don't know who he is, right?
If thats the case, I find it quite sad that they do not know who he is.

They should buy Optimus Prime posters instead. But they better stay away from my beloved BumbleBee, if they are that ignorant that is.

Frostbite3789 said:
Staskala said:
Beryl77 said:
Oh and what in the world is that and why would a university need something like that?
campus threat assessment team
As far as I know, those were established in a knee-jerk reaction after Vtech.
Although I assumed it was for protection against, you know, actual violence not posters that mention "violent acts" or some shit.
Quite the bastardization, even if the idea was somewhat dubious in the first place.
I'm just glad nobody saw the inside of my dorm room then later apartment when I had my 28 Weeks Later 'MAINTAIN THE QUARANTINE' poster on the inside of the door. They might have actually thought I was advocating a violent enforcement of some kind of quarantine.

OT: I can only imagine him and the Chancellor talking, and the Chancellor goes, "Hey, you want to be Chancellor of this university?!"

"Yes."

"Yeah...well you can't."
Its more to do with the fact this teacher had this poster on the outside of his door, inside man, thats your sanctuary dude, you dress it up how you like.

Having a poster saying "if he kills you" from the outside, thats the big no no I guess.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I'm going to have to take the university's side. It's an educational institution, not his bedroom. It's not an educator's place to stick random shit on the wall just because they happen to be a fanboy of something. I don't necessarily agree with their reasoning, but they were perfectly entitled to ask him to take it down, and he shouldn't have been such a child about it.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
HA! Wow, that is so stupid funny. It's almost as irrelevent as the story posted a few days ago about the scientists who were going to be put on trial for not warning the public about earthquakes

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
I never saw Firefly but have to agree with the University on this one. If they say such posters is not allowed the professor should respect the views of his WORK place. It is NOT his University and he does not make the rules or regulations, they are set there for some odd reason and if warned about it the first time he should not over react that way. It is just a show (calm down fanboys, its true) and many schools have rules about having such things placed in their walls.

They can fight about it all they want but he is really going to far to contact someone about how he isn't allowed to decor his bloody door, that seems sad in my eyes.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Well, looks like its devils advocate time.

Yes, actually, I see the universities point. A lot of people don't watch Firefly. And looking at that poster, I have no problem imagining that making a student feel really uncomfortable. That's something that the university has a right to be concerned over. Now the smarter move would be to ask the professor to take it down himself and explain the reasoning. Even the school i'm sure realized that this is just a disagreement over policy and professionalism, and can be talked out like reasonable human beings. Of course this professor ensured that what could have been a calm if uncomfortable discussion became a legal pissing match my responding by calling the university fascist. As usual, this isn't some evil overpowering force oppressing an individual, its 2 parties acting kinda prickish and together, opening a whole can of worms. I think both parties are equally to blame.

Ask yourself: If this wasn't Firefly, would you still be outraged? Or would you just think that the university was being a bit uptight when the professor blew it out of proportion

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
Oh the Liberal education system of America, where ideas like "humor" and "common sense" hold no sway, and are in fact liabilities to anyone opposing their opinions of what it means to be "open minded". And yeah, the irony and cynicism was meant to be palpable there at the end.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Uh I actually kind of agree with the university. We're nerds so we know the context of that poster but to a random pleb they'd have no idea what that is refering to. And I'm sorry but as a proffesor she should have the common sense to see that some people may find offence in a poster that refers to killing.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
It would have been better if she had said:
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here.