Unless

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Unless

MovieBob ponders the latest Dr. Seuss adapatation The Lorax.

Read Full Article

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've never read the book but the TV special intrigues me. I may be able to find a copy of the book too so there's that. I understand now why Bob was so pissed about The Lorax selling an SUV...it's a slap in the face of the author and it spits on the source material.

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
Am I the only one who has noticed that Bob seems determined to never talk about Despicable Me seeing as that was a large part of the marketings ads and that it may be the source for his anger against the changes made about the Once-ler and townspeople?

The pull of Despicable Me was that the protagonist was a bad guy but he had his reasons and was someone who really could not be blamed for the more cruel things he did after Act 2 and 3. Seeing that, and this new thing being the popular thing at the moment, the company decided it could work again and it did, being a huge success in the box office and the company gets another victory under the belt while the world waits for Despicable Me 2.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Man, screw this "It's going to be too dark for the children!" nonsense. Such mentality breeds emotionally vulnerable people. It think the story should have been left as it is. If the kids want to ask awkward questions - then that's even better. It's disgusting they change something like that just so that some asshole doesn't have to hurt his brain trying to explain complex ideas and concepts to his little kid.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Ehhh, his poetry could use a bit of work, but this was still an interesting article. I want to read the book more than watch the movie though.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Saw this with my son last week, no awkward questions for me.
However, I really liked the Once-ler song, other than being a pretty good song, I think it represented the character well in that more often than not people like this don't see what they are doing as a bad thing and convince themselves that they are doing the right thing. Actually this makes for a better "bad guy" as you can relate to them. (My opinion at least) Other than that I thought Lorax was okay.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I remember reading the Lorax... but I barely remember Butter Battle. It sound familiar and I think I read it once, but I can't seem to recall it... Either way, I won't be going to see the new Lorax movie. I can tell from the trailers that it's going to disappoint me.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Jenx said:
Man, screw this "It's going to be too dark for the children!" nonsense. Such mentality breeds emotionally vulnerable people. It think the story should have been left as it is. If the kids want to ask awkward questions - then that's even better. It's disgusting they change something like that just so that some asshole doesn't have to hurt his brain trying to explain complex ideas and concepts to his little kid.
Plus it seems like everyone forgot that a bunch of kids grew up with darker kids movies and turned into fine adults, The Land Before Time was pretty depressing, so was Fievels American Tail, The Secret of NIMH, That suicide song in The Brave Little Toaster, etc and no one made an issue out of those

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
As Bob pointed out........ we all saw Old Yeller as kids, we are still here, kids can handle hard truths, and in fact if they don't they won't learn and grow and become responsible adults. So yeah, I guess what I'm saying here is they really screwed the pooch on this one.

And yet fox still went nuts over the film......... remember this?:

I love how the source material is more anti-industrial than this film and yet Lou refers to it as "Beloved" but then he calls The Lorax film "insidious"

rayen020

May 20, 2009
pbbbbbbt *sigh* i really hate this. Not just the Film, but this culture. Dr. Suess stories always, ALWAYS, have a lesson to teach. And when they get made into movies these days the story gets fumbled and the lesson is lost. I'm waiting for the Sneetches to get made see how they screw that up.

Whatever they haven't f***ed with the books yet. Keep the studio pulp mess away from my children i'll just read them the stories.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Even if this was an awesome movie, that did a wonderful job with the source material, I'd likely boycott it on the grounds of its numerous product tie-ins like SUVs and disposable diapers. Although I suppose it's better that a movie that avoided the point of the book also engaged in such offensive deals.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Call me crazy, but I was expecting a cock-up of precisely these tremendous proportions when I saw the words "From the creators of Despicable Me" on the poster.

lazinesslord

Jun 13, 2010
In other words, it's a terrible, gutless movie that didn't deserve to make as much money as it did.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
MB202 said:
Butter Battle
People on one side of a wall like their toast butter side up, while the other side likes butter side down (fucking weirdos). Both sides don't want the other side corrupting their side, so one side starts off by sending a guard with nothing. Other side sends a guard with a rock to throw. First side retaliates with a guy with a slingshot, and so on until they both have very "destructive" weaponry aimed at each other all for differences in ideology. The End. Obviously a story about how the Cold War was stupid.

TheBrett

Aug 26, 2011
This bothers me more than it should, I think. I really liked The Lorax as a kid, and that animated show left an impression on me for a long time. The ending in particular is powerful and ambiguous, and I'm not happy that the movie ditched that for a more generic happy ending.

I don't get the "kids can't handle the dark" thing either. Many of us grew up with Bambi, Pinocchio, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Mulan, all of which have darker content at least in part. We weren't traumatized by it too much.

It probably has more to do with merchandising. A Lorax movie isn't too great for that (and produces oceans' worth of unintentional irony), but it's still a big factor for the people making these movies. They're always looking for another Cars.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Everyone seems to forget that Wall*E was bleak as all fuck. It just didn't dwell on the whole end of the world thing and focused on the possibility to rebuild. It was a total critical success and did well at the box office. It was fun and kid friendly but also utterly depressing and hopeless in places. Silent running for kids basically. It was an out and out enviromental movie about hope and cool robots. So this shit can work and the masses will watch it.

The Lorax just sounds like the usual shit where the enviromental message is there to get parents to drag their crotch spawn to it and feel like they are raising them properly

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Call me crazy, but I was expecting a cock-up of precisely these tremendous proportions when I saw the words "From the creators of Despicable Me" on the poster.
It's funny. When I watched the Despicable me movie a couple weeks ago I felt the same about them touting it on their poster. That movie wasn't really very good. In fact it felt like the hour long pilot to an okay cartoon show. It wasn't really about Mad scientist having super silly science slap fights it was about a grouch adopting children and becoming a nice guy through having them (does that ever really happen?) around. Ultimately its only note worthy part was those yellow pill creatures that bare a uncanny resemblance to those lego people tron bonne controlled.