Unpopular Opinions

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I just came across this interesting tumblr called "Your Unpopular Opinions" and felt like making a topic for us to share our own unpopular opinions. I'll start off. *puts up flame shield*

Personally, I think that a lot of people who have children are selfish. The world is cruel and random, and that child will inevitably face suffering whether or not you think you can give it a good home, love, care, etc. And there are so many parents that try to project or impose their own agendas onto their kids, like people that want their little boy to be a doctor, or their little girl to be a model, perhaps because they failed at it themselves and want to live through their youngsters.

And what if it comes out physically and/or mentally disabled? How can you live with yourself knowing that you took that kind of risk and that child is now going to suffer worse than most, and is going to feel ostracized, as if he won't get to do all the things a "normal" person could do? You can't see the future; you don't know if it's just going to give up and hang itself. And after 18 years, it's likely just going to go off and, I dunno, have its own life, and then you'll be alone. That time-killer, that period of happiness, will be gone.

Not to mention the strain on resources that the ever-growing population is making. People often fail to realize that we're not alone and we don't live alone. I'm not the biggest fan of humans either, but at least I acknowledge that even some of the smallest actions I do can impact in a very big and potentially negative way on other people. But no, we'll just sit back, ignore the cycle and continue spawning babies that'll eventually go into oblivion. The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon, and humanity destroying itself after along wouldn't be a bad thing. It might even be a good thing, if you look what a stewing hell-hole this planet is. I honestly find it difficult to see, the global scale of things, what's so fucking great about it. It's all shit, and those that say otherwise are probably delusional idealists living in a bubble, blissfully ignorant to the true horrors of Earth. You can't blame people for being pessimists when life has screwed them over with no mercy or sign of stopping, as if you're just stuck in an eternal tornado of pain and misfortune.

The fact of the matter is, people have kids for themselves. They don't know what that child will be like, they don't know what'll grow into. They don't know shit, other than their own selfish dream of a happy family, and then they inconvenience everyone else around them. I'm not grateful to my mother for giving birth to me. And you know, if I really had to be given birth to, I'd much rather have had a different, good family. It feels like a curse.

Let me get this straight. I don't dislike people that have kids, except for certain irresponsible cases. I just don't agree with it.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
I think medical marijuana is waste of time, and marijuana should be sold, taxed, and regulated like alcohol. That opinion seems to be accepted by about half the country.

But I also think all drugs should be legalized. Yep - morphine, amphetamines, you name it. Studies have shown that current policy doesn't reduce the tendency of people to get addicted to them, and that the major health problems people have as a result is because they're getting low-quality chemicals off the street.
If only cleanly made drugs were sold (and all these drugs have medical uses, so they ARE all produced cleanly by regulated companies as well) I think it would reduce fatalities and take a lot of money out of the black market. It's juvenile for politicians to think that restricting availability will stop people from using. There's really very little different between what we're doing now and what happened during Prohibition, whose only significant lasting effect was to strengthen the black market beyond belief.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
This isn't a flame against anyone but it probably will be an unpopular opinion around here (seeing as quite a few people are like this)....

I hate miserable bastards. I don't mean dislike I mean I physically detest them.

They piss off everyone around them, they can turn something happy into an utter shit storm and generally aren't nice people to be around.

They say utter toss like "I have lost faith in humanity" oh fuck off with your cliché phrase.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore", that's funny .... I don't want you living on this planet anymore.

They never say anything worth listening to.

And the most amusing part .... "I hate humanity, I hate people" so why, oh bloody why, are they hanging around forums that contain ... you guessed it ... people.

I say to them, crawl back under the bridge of misery and leave the rest of us to be happy and talk about sunshine and rainbows.

Yes the world is a shitty place, trust me i've seen a hell of a lot more of that shit than the some of the people that whine about it, but we get on with it. We like life and the little joys it brings.

And to the OP. I have kids, 5 of them. Am I angered by your words ... nay lad, nay I am not.

All I have to say to you is MY SPERM WORKS so all is well in the world.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I don't understand the complete premise of public education for severely handicapped people. Some kids have personality disorders that can be sorted out so that they might return to normal classes, and that's great, but for the unfortunates that are impaired enough that they can't really ever do anything, I don't see the benefit of using public money to educate them. I realize that everyone is entitled to an education and all accommodations necessary to achieve that education, but these people will likely never contribute tax dollars back, and when the national budget deficit is such a hotly contested issue, I don't see why we must throw money into this well intentioned bottomless pit. I support special education and all those compassionate enough to work in the field, but I don't agree with the government having to provide this service

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Okaaay, after seeing a few pages of this tumblr, here's an unpopular opinion:

all other languages should envy German for the existance of the word fremdschämen. (holy fuck)

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Totally agree with the children point - couples should have a recommended limit of 3 children each, 2 should be preferred.

As for my unpopular opinion, it'd be that if you don't try and use free software (as in freedom, not price) wherever possible, you are literally worse than Hitler. There's barely no reason to use proprietary software in this day & age for most users.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
here's a thing;
theists who attack the beleifs of others

not a lot to say, but i have come exceptionally close to wanting to tear their lower jaws out and not give them back until they promise not be insufferable jerks.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I've got many things to say to this country's catastrophic healthcare system which would probably make me quite unpopular but I doubt it would interest here.

Also, duelling should be reintroduced although regulated. I'd know just the person to challenge...

purf said:
every other language should envy German for the existance of the word fremdschämen. (holy fuck)
German is my mother tongue and in over twenty years have I never heard this word used in normal conversation. Now <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B-ZoS0wvU>Schadenfreude on the other hand...

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I believe that all first world countrys should bring in a 1-child law and stop all child allowance, untill a small and self sustaining population has been achieved in those countrys.
Wait, you want to drop the population of the entire civilized world by (at least) 50% in one generation? That seems... a bit extreme.

Captcha: hear hear

Thank you, friend computer.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I think that universal healthcare is a good idea.
I think that the price of college in the U.S is too high.
I believe that all first world countrys should bring in a 1-child law and stop all child allowance, untill a small and self sustaining population has been achieved in those countrys.
The first 2 are not unpopular opinions, when thinking globally, the last one however...

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Quaxar said:
I've got many things to say to this country's catastrophic healthcare system which would probably make me quite unpopular but I doubt it would interest here.

Also, duelling should be reintroduced although regulated. I'd know just the person to challenge...

purf said:
every other language should envy German for the existance of the word fremdschämen. (holy fuck)
German is my mother tongue and in over twenty years have I never heard this word used in normal conversation. Now <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B-ZoS0wvU>Schadenfreude on the other hand...
profile says you're from Austria - man, it was you people's Word of the Year in 2010 ;)

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
purf said:
Quaxar said:

purf said:
profile says you're from Austria - man, it was your people's Word of the Year in 2010 ;)
Fair enough.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Relish in Chaos said:
I just came across this interesting tumblr called "Your Unpopular Opinions" and felt like making a topic for us to share our own unpopular opinions. I'll start off. *puts up flame shield*

Personally, I think that a lot of people who have children are selfish. The world is cruel and random, and that child will inevitably face suffering whether or not you think you can give it a good home, love, care, etc.
If the world is so terrible that no one should endure it why dont you kill yourself?

Valid question.

I have a rampant dislike of misanthropes, not helped by the fact that im often accused of being "delusional" for enjoyng the world. Id be ok with the attitude as long as long as it didnt usually come with a flavor of arrogance that im derranged. Also ive always believed in the saying that you should never listen to someone who judges all of humanity but doesnt include themselves.

But ill refrain from flaming you.

From reading this ive decided my unpopular opinion is that the world is awesome and life is a fantastic gift. That said having kids irresponsibly is selfish and so is spitting out hundreds but as long as you can support and care for them children are awesome. More to share life with.

Misanthropes are all over the internet, i sometimes feel like a minority.

Rawne1980 said:
This isn't a flame against anyone but it probably will be an unpopular opinion around here (seeing as quite a few people are like this)....

I hate miserable bastards. I don't mean dislike I mean I physically detest them.

They piss off everyone around them, they can turn something happy into an utter shit storm and generally aren't nice people to be around.

They say utter toss like "I have lost faith in humanity" oh fuck off with your cliché phrase.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore", that's funny .... I don't want you living on this planet anymore.

They never say anything worth listening to.

And the most amusing part .... "I hate humanity, I hate people" so why, oh bloody why, are they hanging around forums that contain ... you guessed it ... people.

I say to them, crawl back under the bridge of misery and leave the rest of us to be happy and talk about sunshine and rainbows.

Yes the world is a shitty place, trust me i've seen a hell of a lot more of that shit than the some of the people that whine about it, but we get on with it. We like life and the little joys it brings.

And to the OP. I have kids, 5 of them. Am I angered by your words ... nay lad, nay I am not.

All I have to say to you is MY SPERM WORKS so all is well in the world.
I like this guy.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Violence is necessary in far too many situations. Sad but true. Part of tyranny is sheilding one's self from legal intervention. In doing so, the tyrant makes it so that the only way they can be removed from power is death. Pacifism is nice when possible, but this is not a nice world, so it is not always possible.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
No public displays of religion. You can have freedom of belief, fine, believe whatever the hell you want. Nobody but people of your religion care about your religion, so why can't we keep it to ourselves? I mean, its a philosophy isn't it? not a businessWHOOPS did I just say that out loud.....

As for the mentally handicapped, I sort of agree, and not because I'm heartless, quite the opposite actually. Their lives are pretty miserable, and the people that care for them could be doing better things with their lives. I don't like the idea of a spartan baby-throwing cliff, but we have medical technology to make healthy babies.

Also I would like a space program.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Hangover sucked.

And that is the only unpopular opinion I can think of right now that I have.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
God does not exist, and when I discover someone believes in god my respect of them drops considerably.

Yeah, that's a pretty common "upopular opinion", but still.

For a less common unpopular opinion... When I heard that Newt Gingrich promised a moon base by the end of his second term, I decided if he actually meant that, I didn't care what his other policies were.
And that's actually true, if a potential leader (I'm not American, so I should probably be talking about hypothetical Prime Ministers so it's my own country's freedom on the line) promised a permanent moon base in eight years, and could be trusted to deliver on that, I wouldn't care if the candidate was actually Adolf Hitler, I would vote for him and advise any Jewish or homosexual friends of mine to flee while they can.

So yeah, I guess I either care that little for other people's lives, or that much about space. Probably a bit of both.

Oh, one more, which I'm not sure if it's unpopular or not: The singularity is near. I put about a 50% chance on "by the mid-2030s".