Unskippable: Alpha Protocol

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
The dialogue system in this game is seriously messed up.
Really, I find it moreso refreshing than most others I can think of. Heck, I like how it keeps you alert due to the time limit, that is seriously something I wish for in Bioware RPGs. Though I will agree with Yahtzee's asessment that the single-word descriptions are sometimes far too vague.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
canadamus_prime said:
Really, I find it moreso refreshing than most others I can think of. Heck, I like how it keeps you alert due to the time limit, that is seriously something I wish for in Bioware RPGs. Though I will agree with Yahtzee's asessment that the single-word descriptions are sometimes far too vague.
It's the vague one-word descriptors that are messed up. How the hell am I supposed to navigate my way through a conversation when I'm not entirely sure what my character's going to say at any given time? The time limit just exasperates the issue.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Uuuuurgh, Alpha Protocol.

Worst part: It's buggy as hell. At one point I was walking out of a room, and as I was standing in the doorway I realized I had forgotten to pick up some ammo the guards in the previous room had dropped. So I turned around and realized the game had decided that room was dumb and unnecessary, and had despawned the floor, leaving me to fall into white nothingness. Despite reloading the game, the room STILL had no floor when I looked.

Second worst part: All boss fights are REALLY REALLY TERRIBLE. I actually won one of them by making sure the boss got stuck in a staircase. At that point, I fired ~150 assault rifle bullets at his head. Fun thing, the bugginess saved my ass from this super-hard boss.

Third worst part: The voice actor for Thorton is a huge dick all the time, no matter what option you pick. I don't understand why everyone doesn't just punch him in the face every time he has a conversation.

Despite all these things, AP had potential. Potential enough for me to see it through to the end anyway.

And if the game didn't want me to pick the "kill everyone except Scarlet Lake because she's hot despite the terrible graphics"-option in the end, it shouldn't have squeezed in three absolutely frustrating bossfights in the end.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe...he never really was all that charming, puts bond to shame!

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Loonerinoes said:
canadamus_prime said:
It's the vague one-word descriptors that are messed up. How the hell am I supposed to navigate my way through a conversation when I'm not entirely sure what my character's going to say at any given time? The time limit just exasperates the issue.
I really, really dislike that time limit. What usually happens:

You'll get the options "bomb", "pants" and "walrus".
Then the NPC will ramble on for a long time about the nice pants he's wearing, something about a bomb, and in the last final nanoseconds before the timer runs out, he'll mention that if you talk about walruses, he will reward you with a million dollars, leaving you scrambling and failing to push the correct button.

A little breathing room would be nice, thank you.

SpecklePattern said:
hawk533 said:
That was more flabbergasted than sarcastic. And suave seemed more arrogant idiot.

Webcam probably isn't the way to go if you're trying to do a mission briefing. Mission briefings need a little more production value.
Yeah and like they say. Why on earth the video quality in every thing is in so bad quality? :-/ Like if you use webcam, spend more than 7USD to that! :)
And why do all HDTVs suffer from a bad case of interlacing? Makes no sense!

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Grid TV's are awesome ^~^! I would love to have setup like that, lol! Great video again >~<!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
For some reason that looked... significantly uglier than I'm remembering those conversations[footnote]Only the beginning section is actually a cutscene, everything else they spliced together were parts of conversations from the intro level, minus the gameplay in between and dialog from Westridge over the monitors and PA systems.[/footnote] being when I played through them a month or so back. It's enough to make me wonder if the reason I never got why people complained that Alpha Protocol had "bad graphics" was because I played it on the PC, and not on a console - if that's what the graphics on the X-Box look like throughout the game, then I totally get those complaints now; Alpha Protocol is hardly breathtakingly gorgeous on the PC, but it's a far cry from ugly, and that was definitely ugly.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
For some reason that looked... significantly uglier than I'm remembering those conversations being when I played through them a month or so back. It's enough to make me wonder if the reason I never got why people complained that Alpha Protocol had "bad graphics" was because I played it on the PC, and not on a console - if that's what the graphics on the X-Box look like throughout the game, then I totally get those complaints now; Alpha Protocol is hardly breathtakingly gorgeous on the PC, but it's a far cry from ugly, and that was definitely ugly.
This. I also played on PC and the graphics were significantly better than that.

The game itself is awesome, and well worth playing -- as long as you remember that it's an RPG, not a shooter. (Just because *you* can aim doesn't mean your character can.)

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Oh my god. Thornton is such a gigantic douchebag. Yahtzee was right, even when he's trying to be nice, he still sounds like a gigantic ponce.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
ColdStorage said:
OK this is strange but I now want to play Alpha Protocol, I have a suspicion that the rest of the game will be accidentally funny, even without Graham and Paul.
i found the game worth playing. yes, it has some issues that range from the unforgivable in this day and age (e.g. some baffling control elements) to the bizarre (e.g. the quirky conversation mechanic), but none of the issues are truly game breaking. i enjoyed it enough that i recommend it to others provided they understand it's not perfect.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Nice one, I had a good laugh.

I love Alpha Protocol, I beat it 4 times. Even though the dialog system seems a bit rough at the beginning, it's really works great after you'll get used to it. No other game (well, maybe except Heavy Rain) made the 'you have a split second to make a decision' situations better than AP, and the choices that really do matter and change a lot, made it even better and not boring at all even after beating it 3 times before.

I hope that Fallout: NV will be equally great in terms of ideas and story while fixing up the graphics and bugs (the usual Obsidian weak spot).

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Man, if you're going to do a conversation system like that don't make your responses vague. I think it should have stayed with the missile sex tape.