Unskippable: Atelier Meruru, Part Three

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Does every alchemy recipe explode when it fails, can't it just taste bad or something?

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in there and say that this game is actually quite fun. The opening was LONG AND TEDIOUS, I admit, but once the game finally gets going, it's quite the enjoyable experience. Though most people probably reading this will probably just watch the video, instantly judge the game as being awful and retarded and never play it. Like any other game (or anything intended for marketing and sale) out there, some people will like it, some won't, it's all dependent on your personal taste.

Atelier Rorona was much, MUCH better than Meruru though. I didn't play Totori for any more than 10 minutes because the opening just bored the hell out of me and frankly, the way Totori walked in that game simply infuriated me, and there was NO WAY I could play a whole game when the main character walks like she's got a whole tree stuck up her ass.

josh4president said:
I still have no idea who the target demographic for this game is.
Believe it or not, there are a LOT of these Atelier games that are really quite popular. In Japan. Here in the states, not so much. So... Japanese would be the target demographic, I suppose.

Eternal_Lament said:
I still stand by my statement last week that the people who buy these games must have money to throw away. The only good thing I can say about these games is the entertainment value they provide for this
... I'm just going to go out on a limb here and assume that you haven't played the game, nor have you experienced anything about this game other than these videos, would I be wrong in that assumption?

And just so you know, you were wrong in your conclusion that 'people like me who buy these games must have money to throw away', because I don't have money to throw away... so yeah...

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
How exactly does the formula for a healing salve result in an explosion? Incidentally I was expecting that explosion as soon she decided to start stirring.
MatParker116 said:
I want to see these chicks have an alchemy battle with the Elrich brothers.
They would lose, badly.
Well are you talking about combat, or just comparing what their alchemy makes?

Ether way, they would probably lose badly.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I demand more episodes of this.

The Ateliers are some of my all time favorite episodes of this show.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Truth Cake said:
Eternal_Lament said:
I still stand by my statement last week that the people who buy these games must have money to throw away. The only good thing I can say about these games is the entertainment value they provide for this
... I'm just going to go out on a limb here and assume that you haven't played the game, nor have you experienced anything about this game other than these videos, would I be wrong in that assumption?

And just so you know, you were wrong in your conclusion that 'people like me who buy these games must have money to throw away', because I don't have money to throw away... so yeah...
You are correct, I've never played these games, though I have seen videos of the game online, so this isn't my only exposure to it, and watching those videos I still don't get the appeal. Then again I'm not the biggest JRPG fan so I admit there's a bias going into it (although even compared to other JRPGs I'm still not sure what it is about this one that stands out in the community). At the same time, the job of an intro (cutscene or gameplay) is to interest me as a gamer to want to play that game, something that frankly these games fail to do. I said in the video last week that this really seems like a game that you have to already be into in order to sit through something like this and still want to play it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Graham, Paul, I think they keep making games for that series JUST to antagonize you, but you always come out aces.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Eternal_Lament said:
At the same time, the job of an intro (cutscene or gameplay) is to interest me as a gamer to want to play that game, something that frankly these games fail to do. I said in the video last week that this really seems like a game that you have to already be into in order to sit through something like this and still want to play it.
That point I won't argue with, especially since I know full well I'd never have bought this game if I hadn't played and enjoyed Atelier Rorona before it, so obviously I too am more than a little biased in the other direction.

One thing that I do feel compelled to point out though, is that A LOT of games have shitty intro sequences that do little to endear the player to the gameplay or story, but then turn out much better as you play on (exactly which game(s) this applies to is, of course, a matter of opinion, but I think I can safely assume that we've all played a game that we think the beginning of sucked, but then turned out great later on), so judging a game solely on it's introduction hardly seems fair.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
BehattedWanderer said:
"...before actual gameplay hits"

What, exactly is the gameplay of these games?
Probably roundbased "hit monster with wooden stick until you find a better wooden stick/get better at using wodden sticks", the usualy JRPG-stuff.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
DrRockor said:
Callate said:
I'm going to hazard a guess that that whole "Miss Totori" exchange sounded significantly less stupid in Japanese.
but Totori san is Totori san, Totori san. Still sounds silly.

After playing Atelier Totori for a while, I have to say these openings are about right for the game. Very little actually happens outside of alchemy and killing monsters while wearing silly outfits.
Actually, if my Japanese doesn't fail me too much, it would be "Demo Totori-san, Totori-san Totori-san desu".
Not that that makes it sound any less silly.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
"Oh, it was MUSTARD GAS! There's your problem"
Brilliant! Mustard gas always kills me!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Well in defense of 15y old Meruru and 19y old Totori, people in this world live till ~30 years

jmesch04

May 16, 2012
Honestly I don't think there is anything I dead more than seeing more of this game... please do more.

It's almost like someone let his daughter direct the cut-scenes on a bring your daughter to work day.

Xpheyel

Sep 10, 2007
Jakale said:
Did anyone else half expect some alchemy gone wrong monster to ooze out of the vat?
Like if Totori was trying to resurrect her mom, Full Metal Alchemist style?

That would rule.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Aw, I was hoping for another MGS4-style series of videos--these last three were hilarious.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Bindal said:
BehattedWanderer said:
"...before actual gameplay hits"

What, exactly is the gameplay of these games?
Probably roundbased "hit monster with wooden stick until you find a better wooden stick/get better at using wodden sticks", the usualy JRPG-stuff.
I'm more curious as to what the main plot is. The gameplay, even if it were fantastic, is probably completely divorced from the story anyway, whether it's turn-monster-stick-bashing or some kind of shop simulator. But I just can't fathom what the driving conflict could possibly be!

I mean, with most JRPGs you can expect to save the king/planet/universe, or at least kill the cosmic embodiment of evil. But Meruru here doesn't really have any worries or issues, she isn't pressured into anything, everyone is very blasé about her escaping the castle, and when she fucks up Totori's potion, Totori acts like it's the most beautiful fuck-up she's ever seen. Aside from the cloaked woman, the game doesn't really set up any stakes except "spoiled rich blue-blood takes up a hobby and tries her best."

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Does every alchemy recipe explode when it fails...?
Apparently so in Gust JRPGs. I guess it's Gust's way of saying, "You fucked up!"

Now, this does remind me of a little something I probably should've posted when Atelier Totori was being targeted by Unskippable. Something actually kinda close to the topic of your question. About a year ago, some guy attempted some alchemy in real life and ended up setting his residence on fire.

What did he do? Supposedly he put his own turds atop a heater. o___O