Unskippable: Dark Souls

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Nito can easily be explained.
He was the first of the dead. They never said he was the first to rise.

So he died first, others died after him (on top of him apparently too) so when he arose he had all the skulls of the dead that died after him, on him.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
The Two Best Friends: Matt & Patt already did this scene infinitely better.

"I am a dead guy made up of the corpses of a thousand dead guys!"

You guys need to put more energy into your performance. You sound bored out of your wits so imagine how I feel.

If you fine gentlemen just don't give a fuck anymore then I just want you to know that it's okay with me if you want to stop.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
00slash00 said:
i just finished my first run of this game and i could not follow the story at all. i couldnt follow the demon's souls story either but that was okay because demon's souls didnt really have one. with this game there was obviously supposed to be a story but i couldnt follow it. lucky plot isnt the reason these games are awesome
Demon's Souls was quite easy to pick up the basics. The king became a demon and invited his demon friends. One fellow escaped and told the world about what happened. You came around to be a hero (or be an evil arse) and kill them dead. You either save the world from the demons or you become a demon and kill everything.

Dark Souls makes very little sense. The fire is about to burn out and you have to kill the ones that killed the dragons.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
They should've shown the bit after the asylum as well, the bit where you travel on a giant raven, to the ancient land of the Lords... LORDRAN!

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
00slash00 said:
i just finished my first run of this game and i could not follow the story at all. i couldnt follow the demon's souls story either but that was okay because demon's souls didnt really have one. with this game there was obviously supposed to be a story but i couldnt follow it. lucky plot isnt the reason these games are awesome
Demon's Souls was quite easy to pick up the basics. The king became a demon and invited his demon friends. One fellow escaped and told the world about what happened. You came around to be a hero (or be an evil arse) and kill them dead. You either save the world from the demons or you become a demon and kill everything.

Dark Souls makes very little sense. The fire is about to burn out and you have to kill the ones that killed the dragons.
Warning, story spoilers
Before, the world was dark and chaotic, but then fire came around. Some things living took the fire and used it to make themselves stronger. They killed the dragons, became godlike, and ruled over everything.

Now the fire is going out, and Gwyn (the knight guy) went to try and bring it back, but now he's gone hollow because when he tried to kindle the fire, it burned him.

Now that serpent (a friend of Gwyn) is asking you to rekindle the fire. You have to get the lordvessel and fill it up with the souls Gwyn and his friends got from the original fire. This opens the door to the kiln. You kill Gwyn, relight the kiln, get set on fire, and die.

Although, if you explore and find the darkwraiths, you figure out that humans don't actually need fire, and that you're pretty much being tricked into sacrificing yourself so the gods (or i should say god, as there's only one left) can keep ruling.

So you gather the four souls, go kill Gwyn, then walk away without lighting the kiln and become the lord of darkness.

Most of the story in this game is really hidden, and even if you find everything, it doesn't complete the world.

For example, where the hell did the four kings come from? Also, why can't i do anything with Priscilla? It feels like FROM forgot about her.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Burst6 said:
Most of the story in this game is really hidden, and even if you find everything, it doesn't complete the world.

For example, where the hell did the four kings come from? Also, why can't i do anything with Priscilla? It feels like FROM forgot about her.
Well, considering the area that Priscilla is in is very easily missable (Have to get the doll from Undead Asylum, have to go to the painting in Anor Londo) she seems much of a sidequest type character.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This has got to be one of the most depressing games ever made. Hopefully G&P didn't end up broken by it.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Well, considering the area that Priscilla is in is very easily missable (Have to get the doll from Undead Asylum, have to go to the painting in Anor Londo) she seems much of a sidequest type character.
Which is a dick move considering that place has like 3 unique armor sets, four unique weapons, the red soapstone (the one that lets you dual others), the occult ember, a powerful pyromancy, and a powerful miracle.

Not to mention enemies that you don't see anywhere else.

It isn't that hard to figure out anyway. If you see the doll on the loading screen, and spot that giant painting in Anor Londo that's being guarded by like 10 enemies, you can probably put two and two together.

They could have let her teach ice magic or something. She is the only thing in this game that uses ice or cold in any form.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Burst6 said:
AlternatePFG said:
Which is a dick move considering that place has like 3 unique armor sets, four unique weapons, the red soapstone (the one that lets you dual others), the occult ember, a powerful pyromancy, and a powerful miracle.

Not to mention enemies that you don't see anywhere else.

It isn't that hard to figure out anyway. If you see the doll on the loading screen, and spot that giant painting in Anor Londo that's being guarded by like 10 enemies, you can probably put two and two together.

They could have let her teach ice magic or something. She is the only thing in this game that uses ice or cold in any form.
I guess the idea with her is that because she has been called an abomination all of her life that she doesn't trust any human, and just assumes even if you don't do anything that you wish to kill her (or just cut her tail off). She probably just wants you to leave as soon as you can rather than talk to you and risk being killed. That said, I wish there was still more info on her, such as whether Seath is her father or not.

Anyways, good vid as always. It would've been interesting to see the reaction when the giant raven comes out of nowhere to snatch you up.

Zyxzy

Apr 16, 2009
Ah, I was waiting for this episode. And now to await those bands...

Burst6 said:
The Four Kings were SPOILERS: the rulers of New Londo who were bequeathed parts of Gwyn's Lord Soul before he left to rekindle the flame, like with Seath. They then fell in with the Abyssal creatures, the Darkwraiths showed up, so they flooded and sealed New Londo.

Cali0602

Aug 3, 2008
"...better than Desert Bus."
-Unskippable

THAT'S a quote I would put on the back of the box!

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Iron Lightning said:
If you fine gentlemen just don't give a fuck anymore then I just want you to know that it's okay with me if you want to stop.
I assure you we give several fucks.

Our delivery has always been laid back, I don't think it's changed.
I'll give it another though. Thanks!

Goblinoid90

Oct 25, 2010
Let me help you a little with the plot, though I don't know if it actually HELPS.. Well, here we go, my theory about the story:

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

At the beginning, there were dragons. They were the rulers of world. But as to all things must come and end, so does come the end of the rule of dragons. In the depths of the dark, the Lord souls were found. And the souls, they took form. Nito, Izalith, Gwyn and the furtive pygmy. The Lords challenged the dragons, eventually defeating them. Thus began the age of fire - the age, of Lords and humans.

Nito came to be the ruler of death, judging from the deep chambers of the tomb of the giants. Gwyn became the Lord of sunlight and cinder, and was praised by all. Izalith researched the art of flame, and eventually came to be the mother of the art of pyromancy. Seath achieved the title of duke for his acts in the battle against dragons, and also started researching, for he wanted to achieve immortality like his betrayed brethren. With the title of duke, Seath married the daughter of Gwyn, Gwynevere, who eventually gave birth to Priscilla. And the pygmy, he remained furtive and was not mentioned in the almanacs of history.

But eventually, the flames began to fade, the balance between life and death began to dwindle. Seaths daugther was not accepted in the world of humans, crossbreed as she was, and the poor thing eventually created his own, cold and lonely painted world inside a painting, guarded by numerable men. Gwyn became mad with power, and his loyal knights turned evil towards all things except the Lords. Thus, the undead rose in numbers, and started eradicating entire nations. Izalith, in her temple of fire, tried to duplicate the first flame, but instead, transformed into an malformed, horrendous being. Seath became so passionate with his research, that his mind twisted, and the Dukes archives became a forbidden place of evil experiments.

And as to all things comes to an end, so does to the rule of Lords. The descendant of the pygmy shall rise from amongst undead, and challenge the Lords. And in the legends it is stated, that this unknown hero shall, with the strength of the Lords, defeat Gwyn, Lord of sunlight and cinder - and inherit the fire, so that humanity could be kindled once more, and that men and women may finally become lords of themselves.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
Nito is a giant, not a dead human zombie skeleton thing. His skeleton body whatever is the skeleton body whatever of a giant, not a human. He killed other giants after he became the first of the dead and took their bones and made his boney exterior so people wouldn't make fun of him for having no skin. The entire game is an allegory for a teenager's high school years. Seath killed the other dragons 'cause he has no scales and they made fun of him. Also, he doesn't have any legs so they made fun of him for that too. The witch of Izalith was a huge slut and gave birth to so many kids. Everyone called her a slut. Gwyn has a girls name so he set fire to things. It all makes sense really.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I love the "___ is a great band name" and "___ is the name of my ___ cover band" running jokes. Especially when they turn into hipster jokes.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The narrative to Dark Souls (and Demon's Soul) is very cryptic... although given how morbid the game world is, maybe that's a good thing.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Goblinoid90 said:
A bunch of things wrong with that

Warning, MAJOR SPOILERS FOR DARK SOULS.

First of all, there's nothing saying Priscilla was from Seath and Gwynevere. That Gwynevere you meet in anor londo is just an illusion, and the real Gwynevere is probably smaller than Gwyn, judging by the statues they have of her.

Also the world where Priscilla is isn't called Ariamis, the person who painted it was called Ariamis, and if you let Priscilla kill you she says something about how the world was given to her. She was cast out of the real world because she had the power to kill lords (You can get occult weapons from her and the occult ember in the painting. Occult does extra damage against holy things).

Gwyn didn't become mad with power, he was scared of humans. Humanity doesn't rely on fire, it relies on darkness, and is descendant from the pigmy who found the dark soul. He set off to rekindle the fire with his knights, and left his two children to rule. His children didn't do a very good job of running things, as Gwynevere is gone and Gwyndolin is now turned into a monster and has to use an illusion of Gwynevere to make sure humans keep worshipping him.

Now the age of fire is going out, and Gwyndolin is trying to get you to sacrifice yourself to rekindle the fire. The "good" ending involves you being incinerated at the kiln.

Of course if you take another path, and you kill the four kings before you give the lordvessel to Frampt, you meet another serpent called Kaathe in the abyss. He tells you that you're actually the dark lord who is supposed to usher in the age of humanity, but the remaining god is trying to trick you.

When you beat Gwyn, you can just walk away without rekindling the fire. When you do that, a bunch of serpents come up, including Frampt and Kaathe, and bow down to you calling you the Dark Lord.

Yeah, the story is surprisingly deep. It's just really out of the way.