Unskippable: Drakengard 3 - Oh God, There's So Much Blood

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
4,296
0
0
Drakengard 3 - Oh God, There's So Much Blood

Also, it's a bad day to be a narrator.

Watch Video
 

Strife2GFAQs

New member
Apr 13, 2009
130
0
0
Tara Platt as main character VA...****ING SOLD!

So, since we killed the narrator, does that mean we can kill anyone in the midst of conversation? She sounds like the right character to do it with.
 

Hiramas

New member
Aug 31, 2010
124
0
0
These Japanese games make for the best unskippables. They are on a level of crazy that is hard to master.
Also, I think someone used the trailer as an intro cinematic there. Lazy devs....
 

Darklord008

New member
Dec 14, 2011
95
0
0
"What? What's going on? Sorry I'm late, I'm a dragon, hello!" Killed me, as did the narrator FINALLY getting killed in one of these.

I suppose a part 2 is too much to hope for?
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
34,595
1,213
118
Unskippable does the final cutscene from Drakengard 1. It'll be short :D
 

bigdork

New member
Nov 9, 2010
22
0
0
I don't think the dragon's breathing helium. It seems to be breathing hydrogen. The sound is very similar. Also, how did you think fiery breath worked?
 

MattmanX311

New member
Oct 22, 2008
3
0
0
Now for a follow up I'd like to see someone play the Branch D final "boss" on the twitch stream. Just as a reference as to whether or not you'd be cursing the developers as much as I was.
 

varmintx

New member
Oct 6, 2011
149
0
0
Whatever the quality of the actual game, stabbing the narrator in the middle of him prattling on is the coolest thing I've seen a game in a long time.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
This was an especially weird episode from a Japanese game, weirder still to watch on the bus to work. Oh well, better that than the office.
Funniest lines for me were "Who gave the dragon helium?" and the joy of killing the narrator. But this opening cutscene with the flash forwards failed at the prime task of a game's opening cutscene: letting me know what in the everliving FUCK is going on!
 

WhiteFangofWhoa

New member
Jan 11, 2008
2,548
0
0
Ohhh yeaaahhh-(killed by crazy flower lady)

Lots of games end their prologue with the narrator turning out to be telling a story to the other characters, but this is the only one where the narrator is murdered before he finishes.

The other four Narrators who protect the world through the power of exposition are not going to like this... She will feel the wrath of Movie Narrator and Dragon Ball Z Narrator.

I realize it's old and not voiced, but I would love to see you guys do the intro to Wild Arms 3, including the opening to Virginia's chapter.
 

bificommander

New member
Apr 19, 2010
434
0
0
Well, that's a good way to make players pay attention to growling-old-man-narrator #19423. I can think of a few other games where I wouldn't mind the game opening with the protagonist killing the narrator.

The only other game I can think of that did something like this was Evil Genius, where your bond-villain protagonist murders the tutorial-giver once she has "outlived her usefulness", i.e. at the end of the tutorial.
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
josh4president said:
Oh, I remember this game.

KEEP GOING

People deserve to know how deep this rabbit hole goes.
Second that; it looks really pretty, and it sounds like there's a wealth of jokes to be had.

Also, expecting six sisters to get along? I've seen three of them go at each other with kitchen supplies during an argument about grilled cheese; we should be grateful that the worst they're doing is fighting some cosmic battle for the sake of the planet.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,159
1
3
Country
UK
Did anyone else find this confusing and random as hell?

It kind of started of as an intro but then it become one of those game trailer but then intro and the narrator was killed and blah!

Also the white cloths girl remind me of Weiss from RWBY.
 

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
1,618
0
0
Oh, wow. Just started this game on a friend's console. What are the chances?
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
I have no clue what I just watched, but I think I might need to get this game now. I do remember Jim's review of it, but I'd never seen any actual footage or anything so it kinda fell off my radar.

castlewise said:
So is she the good guy or the bad guy?
Yes.
 

Aeshi

New member
Dec 22, 2009
2,640
0
0
First Asura's Wrath, and now this. Seems like Unskippable's been doing a lot of games I like recently :p
 

Skeleon

New member
Nov 2, 2007
5,410
0
0
So, is all that talk about peace and justice and happiness the other five intoners brought just propaganda or do you actually play as a murderous demon-lady with a fire-breathing behemoth, sowing death and destruction? I ask because seeing countless mooks horribly slaughtered is one thing and common enough in games, but if they're horribly slaughtered for good then it's alright, I guess. Yet, if they're horribly slaughtered for evil, then it isn't. That's how that works, right?
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
34,595
1,213
118
Skeleon said:
So, is all that talk about peace and justice and happiness the other five intoners brought just propaganda or do you actually play as a murderous demon-lady with a fire-breathing behemoth, sowing death and destruction?
Yes and yes.

It's complicated, but the short of it is that most every belligerent is correct.
 

Skeleon

New member
Nov 2, 2007
5,410
0
0
crimson5pheonix said:
Yes and yes.

It's complicated, but the short of it is that most every belligerent is correct.
...can I play as a third party who fights both groups to actually fix stuff rather than replace one evil with another? I'm guessing not.
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
34,595
1,213
118
Skeleon said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Yes and yes.

It's complicated, but the short of it is that most every belligerent is correct.
...can I play as a third party who fights both groups to actually fix stuff rather than replace one evil with another? I'm guessing not.
Well no, your character is saving the world. Through excessive sex and violence. Your character is actually a force for the good of the world. Of course, you don't learn the full of this until right before the fourth ending.
 

Muspelheim

New member
Apr 7, 2011
2,023
0
0
This game is odd. It's all the things I usually run away from. But... Blimey, it's such a trip. And above all, it made me care.

It was a strange experience, worlds away from my usual haunts. But damn it, Zero & C:eek:, those were good times.

It's also a good general survival device. If a swearing, sword-swining angel with an entourage of weirdoes arrives to storm the office, well... Keep out of her way.
 

Kenjitsuka

New member
Sep 10, 2009
3,051
0
0
This insanity clearly needs at least one more episode.
Seriously... what where these guys THINKING?!!! :D

Worst/funniest part; Awesome dragon sounds like a 2 year old soprano singer got kicked in the balls.
 

Aeshi

New member
Dec 22, 2009
2,640
0
0
Kenjitsuka said:
Worst/funniest part; Awesome dragon sounds like a 2 year old soprano singer got kicked in the balls.
There's actually two Dragons in the game trailer. The "Awesome" one that you see in the trailer but doesn't speak (Michael) has a more gruff/serious voice, while the other one that you only hear at the beginning but don't see (Mikhail) sounds like a 2-year old (and to be fair, he IS only a few years old.)
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
34,595
1,213
118
Aeshi said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Worst/funniest part; Awesome dragon sounds like a 2 year old soprano singer got kicked in the balls.
There's actually two Dragons in this game. The "Awesome" one that you see in the trailer but doesn't speak (Michael) has a more gruff/serious voice, while the other one that you only hear at the beginning but don't see (Mikhail) sounds like a 2-year old (and to be fair, he IS only a few years old.)
There are three dragons. Don't forget Gabriel.
 

Aeshi

New member
Dec 22, 2009
2,640
0
0
crimson5pheonix said:
There are three dragons. Don't forget Gabriel.
Technically five, counting Zophiel & Ezrael as well. I probably should've said "In the Trailer" shouldn't I?
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
34,595
1,213
118
Aeshi said:
crimson5pheonix said:
There are three dragons. Don't forget Gabriel.
Technically five, counting Zophiel & Ezrael as well. I probably should've said "In the Trailer" shouldn't I?
True. Too bad they only show up in one fight each if I remember right.
 

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
5,145
0
0
Bloodshed, murder and dragons? This is a Drakengard game, alright... still, the bit about actually murdering the narrator threw me for a loop there.
 

blackrave

New member
Mar 7, 2012
2,020
0
0
"Don't bring a sword to the dragonfight"
.
.
.
My all RPG characters who have met dragons beg to differ
But I agree that spear would be more practical

Also you should watch your language.
I know, poking at someone that isn't like you is fun
But even best jokes can't overshadow that Paul is kinda racist
Just because someone happened to be born with bigger body, scaled skin, wings and ability to exhale fire doesn't mean he is worse than you or me.


P.S. Graham is almost racist.
 

madmatt

New member
Jan 12, 2010
135
0
0
A moment of silence for the narrator... only pov cutscenes now, I hope.

Also I loved the intoner joke
 

Norix596

New member
Nov 2, 2010
442
0
0
Too bad they couldn't have gotten that nonsense when she regrows a new body out of the flower blossom growing out of her own eyeball.
 

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
513
0
0
crimson5pheonix said:
Unskippable does the final cutscene from Drakengard 1. It'll be short :D
Which Final cutscene? They had like 4 Final cutscenes.

Also, they made a third one of these??
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
34,595
1,213
118
Roganzar said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Unskippable does the final cutscene from Drakengard 1. It'll be short :D
Which Final cutscene? They had like 4 Final cutscenes.

Also, they made a third one of these??
The final final one. After the final final rhythm battle. In black and white. What with the tragedy.

Technically 4 if you count Neir, which is the (distant) sequel to the 5th ending of Drakengard 1.
 

Rozalia1

New member
Mar 1, 2014
1,095
0
0
I enjoyed Drakengard 3 very much. When I finished it I was literally shaking as I was playing it while watching my laptop, and any small mistake would have sent me back to the beginning.

For those who don't know the ending has a little rhythm game where at the start you can visually do it like any other, but after a bit the camera moves around so much it becomes much more difficult and than there are shots where it goes so close up you can't see the visual aid anymore...and than there is the black screen at the end... Basically the best way to clear it if you can't beat it with just your ears is to have a laptop with the youtube video up and following that perfectly.
By Sony's counting 10% of players beat the final segment so I suppose its not as bad as people say it is.

Skeleon said:
So, is all that talk about peace and justice and happiness the other five intoners brought just propaganda or do you actually play as a murderous demon-lady with a fire-breathing behemoth, sowing death and destruction? I ask because seeing countless mooks horribly slaughtered is one thing and common enough in games, but if they're horribly slaughtered for good then it's alright, I guess. Yet, if they're horribly slaughtered for evil, then it isn't. That's how that works, right?
The soldiers see the 5 intoners (not Zero who you play as) as living saints/goddesses due to their songs subjugating them so they aren't bad people. In fact what happens to them in the other branches beyond the first is downright cruel as there is a lot of enemy chatter in the game, and hearing their distorted talk after they get mind broken is quite something.

The intoners themselves are a mixed bunch with two being obviously evil, another putting on a show of being good, another is actually good, and the leader knows what Zero knows and is working towards the same path in the end.
 

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
34,595
1,213
118
Rozalia1 said:
I enjoyed Drakengard 3 very much. When I finished it I was literally shaking as I was playing it while watching my laptop, and any small mistake would have sent me back to the beginning.

For those who don't know the ending has a little rhythm game where at the start you can visually do it like any other, but after a bit the camera moves around so much it becomes much more difficult and than there are shots where it goes so close up you can't see the visual aid anymore...and than there is the black screen at the end... Basically the best way to clear it if you can't beat it with just your ears is to have a laptop with the youtube video up and following that perfectly.
By Sony's counting 10% of players beat the final segment so I suppose its not as bad as people say it is.

Skeleon said:
So, is all that talk about peace and justice and happiness the other five intoners brought just propaganda or do you actually play as a murderous demon-lady with a fire-breathing behemoth, sowing death and destruction? I ask because seeing countless mooks horribly slaughtered is one thing and common enough in games, but if they're horribly slaughtered for good then it's alright, I guess. Yet, if they're horribly slaughtered for evil, then it isn't. That's how that works, right?
The soldiers see the 5 intoners (not Zero who you play as) as living saints/goddesses due to their songs subjugating them so they aren't bad people. In fact what happens to them in the other branches beyond the first is downright cruel as there is a lot of enemy chatter in the game, and hearing their distorted talk after they get mind broken is quite something.

The intoners themselves are a mixed bunch with two being obviously evil, another putting on a show of being good, another is actually good, and the leader knows what Zero knows and is working towards the same path in the end.
My friend actually beat that boss with no outside help. Just a good set of headphones and patience. I had to use the computer trick because fuck that noise, they made the most annoying part of the first game even more annoying, damn trolls :\
 

Aerotrain

New member
Sep 7, 2014
67
0
0
So an action RPG with flashy visuals and a crazy epic plot where you play a kick-ass goddess with a pet dragon... I only have one question: When is Adam gonna stream this game?
 

THM

New member
Sep 27, 2014
218
0
0
Norix596 said:
Too bad they couldn't have gotten that nonsense when she regrows a new body out of the flower blossom growing out of her own eyeball.
Ew. Just...ew. Also, wouldn't having a flower in your eye socket be uncomfortable? Or at least really, really irritating? And how exactly do you go about getting a flower in your eye socket? :) I have to admit, every time I saw that character, anything else I was thinking just got brushed aside by those thoughts. (Mainly, 'ew'.)
 

Keith Fraser

New member
Mar 12, 2012
53
0
0
Looks like Daenerys Targaryen is upping her game for the sixth A Song of Ice and Fire book!

(Come on, a white-haired girl unleashes a dragon on an army and makes dire pronouncements, and I'm the first person to make an ASOIAF reference?)
 

Link Satonaka

New member
Mar 1, 2012
33
0
0
I swear on my life, in one of the earlier levels an NPC shouted, "STOP HER, SHE'S AFTER OUR [printer] INK TONER"
Seems like Paul and Graham might have [mis]heard the same thing :)
 
Sep 9, 2007
631
0
0
After watching this and finding out its actually available in Australia, I had to get this, to see how bad it gets.

Norix596 said:
Too bad they couldn't have gotten that nonsense when she regrows a new body out of the flower blossom growing out of her own eyeball.
I kinda wanted to see their reaction to the cutscene after the boss fight against 5.

THM said:
Ew. Just...ew. Also, wouldn't having a flower in your eye socket be uncomfortable?
Pretty much. As far as discomfort goes, the game states it "Hurts like a *****".
 

Deathhappens

New member
Sep 25, 2014
3
0
0
castlewise said:
So is she the good guy or the bad guy?
Good,bad, she's the girl with the sword.
And the dragon.
And an assortment of other fantasy kitchen sink implements of murder, of course.