Unskippable: Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers

RagnaThePig

Oct 27, 2010
Oh my god, it's a Shadok ship !

And I'm the only one getting that reference because I'm probably the only shmuck still watching french cartoons from the 60s...

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
I swear japan doesn't know jack about story structure. Either that, or localization has warped the story structure into something that's no longer interesting.

"What? A __(exotic noun)__ in a place like this?"
"How can a __(never before heard of exotic noun)__ do that? It's impossible!"

These are two generic examples found in the intro. These are story pet peeve of mine, and they only show up in japanese story games. I LOVE story, and once upon a time loved story games out of japan. But now it feels like it's all futile; proper or even enticing story structure is all gone from these games. (I'd hate to imagine how the rest of the game holds together.)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
FinalFreak16 said:
I must play JRPG's too much. Everyone here is amazed the brown haired guy is in fact a guy. It didnt even cross my mind that it could have been a girl. I'm gonna have to watch it again to see what your all on about.

Edit: Ahh he has long hair, I wasnt paying it much attention. I heard the voice and accepted it was a male characeter speaking before he was even shown on screen.
Yeah...I immediately knew the genders of everyone involved as well. Besides the Yuke. I didn't realize Amidatelion was a woman until after she started speaking.

AbstractStream said:
Reptiloid said:
I... how... no, wait. Ok, this androgynous thing has been always been a part of JRPG, fair enough. But in this game, all the humans with male voices had completely feminine facial features. They are simply women with male voices. This is getting ridiculous.

Yeeep. I was about to say the same thing. I thought the dude with the red brown hair flying the ocean ship was a girl...until he spoke.
Then I thought the blonde one could have been a tomboyish girl. To top it off, the weird creature thing has a female voice? Yeah...what?

I've played plently of JRPGS, but this is still a big question mark.
(I've never played Crystal Bearers though.)
Watch more anime/play more JRPGs. You'll learn to tell the difference. Also, the 'weird creature' is a Yuke. Her name is Amidatelion. Yes, it's a woman. The animated suits of armor have genders. They can also change gender by switching to a suit of armor with a different shaped head.

Ellen of Kitten said:
I swear japan doesn't know jack about story structure. Either that, or localization has warped the story structure into something that's no longer interesting.

These are two generic examples found in the intro. These are story pet peeve of mine, and they only show up in japanese story games. I LOVE story, and once upon a time loved story games out of japan. But now it feels like it's all futile; proper or even enticing story structure is all gone from these games. (I'd hate to imagine how the rest of the game holds together.)
Usually because they explain it after the fact so that they don't have to clog up the intro with a ton of exposition. After about 10 minutes of gameplay, all of the races and such get explained to you. Also, Crystal Bearers is technically the fourth(?) game in a series. So yeah.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So I'm guessing Blondie McTear-Face is supposed to be the main protagonist? He doesn't set himself up as being very likable. (I'm assuming it's supposed to be male, the hair kinda throws me off a bit though)

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
"This flyingship conveniently comes with its own ocean"
Uh, yeah, that type of technology and they talk through AIR TUBES?...
Wait... AIR TUBES!? To a SEPARATE plane?? Wait, WHAT?!?

(*takes a moment to catch his breath and gather his bearings from that mindscrew*)

Anyway, Bering Crystal Bears?... Sounds like a Vans Warped Tour band.

Off-Topic: Okay, people, how's THIS for a CaptCha:

Left word appears SIDEWAYS......yeah.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Wait, so it's not bird's poo on his chick? I'm confused.
That was almost as bad as the Sonic they did not long ago.

^
Holy crap dude. The captcha... ITS LEARNING!

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Ellen of Kitten said:

Usually because they explain it after the fact so that they don't have to clog up the intro with a ton of exposition. After about 10 minutes of gameplay, all of the races and such get explained to you. Also, Crystal Bearers is technically the fourth(?) game in a series. So yeah.
Just because something is in its 4th installment doesn't mean it's good practice to limit its accessibility to new people. Story structure builds interest so that people are interested first, and learn more later. The way localization* builds the script to have perplexing questions the character asks themselves with no real chance of being answered builds confusion, not interest. I am living proof- I am 100% not interested in this game. Had it been made more accessibly to new people, I may be interested regardless of those pet peeves I mentioned earlier.

[sub]I blame localization because for all I know it's all set up right in the japanese script, but maybe the elements fell apart in translation. I don't really know- all I know for sure is the script work shown in the above video is of poor quality.[/sub]

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
This week on Unskippable: Fun With Homonyms(tm)!

canadamus_prime said:
So I'm guessing Blondie McTear-Face is supposed to be the main protagonist? He doesn't set himself up as being very likable. (I'm assuming it's supposed to be male, the hair kinda throws me off a bit though)
Have you played many Final Fantasy games? I haven't seen a likeable character yet. Among protagonists, nearly all fall into the "whiny, gender-confused idiot-child" category.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
And what if those Bering crystal bears bearing crystals are named Barry? And what if those Bering crystal bears bearing crystals named Barry are barons...?

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Callate said:
And what if those Bering crystal bears bearing crystals are named Barry? And what if those Bering crystal bears bearing crystals named Barry are barons...?
And naked, no less?

Baron Barry the bare Bering crystal bear bearing crystals.

*undoes knotted tongue*

Many jokes make me chuckle, but I burst aloud at the "boxing match" one. XD

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
I think they catch up on explaining the story later... I think I saw a review of this one and they had a cutscene sometime in that was 10 minutes long.

I seriously wonder why the blonde guy got this female crystal bearer out of that glowing hole thingy, this clearly didn't seem to do much good for the situation... but maybe he's either an idiot or maybe the universe would have collapsed otherwise.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
jonyboy13 said:
Wait, so it's not bird's poo on his chick? I'm confused.
Actually, blame my filthy mind, but first thing i thought about wasn't bird poo... nor tear on that matter. It seemed more like he got a little, uhm, happy with his hands and aimed too high <.<

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Yeah, yeah...we get it. JRPGs have a history of characters that are slightly on the androgynous side. But honestly, I don't see the big deal. Believe me, a JRPG fan, when I say, "You haven't SEEN androgynous yet!" In one manga I read, simply titled Tsubasa, I couldn't actually tell if one character was a girl until the creator actually proved she had breasts. Now THAT is sad.

don_geilo

Aug 30, 2010
RagnaThePig said:
Oh my god, it's a Shadok ship !
And I'm the only one getting that reference because I'm probably the only shmuck still watching french cartoons from the 60s...
Don't feel bad, that show was hilarious.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I actually liked the game overall, the gameplay was a bit dull in general (pick up object, throw object. rince and repeat) but the story, while very cliche was still ok (for an action jrpg).

WabbitTwacks

Dec 8, 2010
FinalFreak16 said:
Ahh he has long hair, I wasnt paying it much attention. I heard the voice and accepted it was a male characeter speaking before he was even shown on screen.
It's not the hair. He has a lot of feminine features (eyes, jawline, narrow sholders). It was kind of weird at first to hear a male voice coming from that character.