Unskippable: Front Mission Evolved

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
OtherSideofSky said:
As a FM fan, I cannot tell you how much I hated this game. Hell, even if it wasn't the worst in a series it would still be horrible just on its own.

As far as the stupid cutscenes go, my favorite is probably about 2 hours in, when the main character faints in his robot, causing the robot to fall over for some reason and prompting the standard issue black military guy to rush over in HIS robot to catch the main character's dramatically. Then his robot's head looks up at the sky as he shouts the main character's name. This is cheesy when people do it, but the idea that he would have had to make so many carefully planned movements with his robot to achieve this effect is hilarious.
I know, I was so hyped up about another mech game, and then I actually played it. It's probably one of the worst games I've played so far. Story, characters, graphics, and gameplay all pretty much sucked...

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Lonely Swordsman said:
Wanzer is a goofy name but it's better than the alternative.
It's an abbreviation for "walking panzers". Imagine if they'd gone with just "walking tanks".
So "Wanks?"

Would the pilot of a 'Wank' be a "Wanker?"

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
It's a MECH. Why not just call it a MECH?

And.. who hires these people? I mean.. damn Oo

I played some Bloodrayne2 today and the cutscene there made more sense!

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
I loved how they slipped MAD in there. A game that has that acronym has to be made of pure win.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Wanzer comes from contracting "wanderpanzer" -> wanderpanzers -> wanzers.

Walking tank would be a problem. walking tank -> walking tank - > wank.

I think you see the problem. Wanzers is just the lesser of two ridiculous, ridiculous evils.
Still not much of an excuse, you don't have to have it's name reference the panzer. Or you could try something like Bi-Panzer...? as in bipedal panzer. Yeah it's a bit akward but at least it doesn't sound ridiculous.

You could also try the star wars rout of AT-P All Terrain Panzer (AT-AT = All terrain Armored Transport for thous starwars fans who aren't complete nerds :p)

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Le_Lisra said:
It's a MECH. Why not just call it a MECH?
MECH is probably trademarked. Due to the Mech Warrior series. It may also be semi-original, calling giant armored robots Mechs, but i'm not sure... I've heard of mechanized infantry before, simply referred to as mechs. But if Mech is atleast semi-origional then theres no reason to call the robots mechs. Not unless everyone has started doing that and the word has simply been accepted. I'm not sure that's actually happened.

Hey at least the name is original, if really stupid sounding. (they tried is pretty much all i got for them)

*edit* well if the intro to the wikipedia article means anything then it's probably not trademarked. So yeah, it probably would have been better to just call it a mech.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh, cheeziness and a couple of moments of oddity aside, the cutscene itself doesn't seem that bad...

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
MaximillionMiles said:
emeraldrafael said:
A space escalator...

How would that work? Especially at a 45 Degree Angle. you'd have to have support for it (since we obviously dont have hover technology in this game) and jet propulsion would be to costly and pointless. How much of the world would you be covering as you go in your straight line?
I think they meant space elevators. Those are a real possibility and many countries are trying to develop one right now. The main problem seems to be creating a cable that is strong enough to resist the tension. But about the support thing, if you managed to take the end of the elevator and put it in geostationary orbit then it wouldn't need to hover, it would keep floating around the planet like our moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
No no no. At the end, they said Space escalators are where its at.

EDIT:
I get the point of a space elevator, and thats a single shaft. all the support is under it.

A space escalator could work using the space elevator as support and running a couple of escalators around it in a spiral. :)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Jymm said:
Wouldnt that largely defeat the purpose of the Space Elevator? Plus the resistance and time and affect on your body its going to have, since you're not in a controlled environment.

Oh yeah, I'm nit picking this one.

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Jymm said:
Wouldnt that largely defeat the purpose of the Space Elevator? Plus the resistance and time and affect on your body its going to have, since you're not in a controlled environment.

Oh yeah, I'm nit picking this one.

No problem with the picking of nits. Space-calator plausable? Yes. Practical? Umm no :) Silly? Of course, Unskipable is all about silly.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
really funny guys (esp the aardvark part LOL)
this was so bad it was good
I mean...really

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
HankMan said:
The Front Mission may have evolved, but the Code Names sure haven't!
Also: Space Escalators FTW!
<youtube=zlxQY0uZhaI>
Between this episode and your post... Well, I'll have a grin on my face for a few hours now XD

[sub]Seriously, "Wanzers"?[/sub]

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
SaunaKalja said:
The Wizaaaa-aa-a-aaa-aaard! (Damn you Idle Thumbs for making me this way).

Calling your walky robot things 'wanzers' instead of 'wankers' doesn't really even fix the problem. Now it's only (heavily) implied.
All I could think of when I saw this was TIIIIME WIIZZZAAAAAARD!

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Redlin5 said:
HankMan said:
The Front Mission may have evolved, but the Code Names sure haven't!
Also: Space Escalators FTW!
<youtube=zlxQY0uZhaI>
Between this episode and your post... Well, I'll have a grin on my face for a few hours now XD

[sub]Seriously, "Wanzers"?[/sub]
The Emperor should've used lightning at some point in that clip

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Wanzer comes from contracting "wanderpanzer" -> wanderpanzers -> wanzers.

Walking tank would be a problem. walking tank -> walking tank - > wank.
And I guess that would have made the pilots wankers then XD

Wanzer...Twozer...Threezer...Fourzer :p