Unskippable: Left 4 Dead

Hellsbells

Jun 18, 2009
Rock said:
I'm just going to go ahead and come to terms with the fact that I'm probably one of few that laughed at the "West Side Story" reference.
Dont worry, I did too

WJeff

Aug 14, 2009
FINALLY

Someone agrees that the Hunter looks exactly like Alex Mercer

Whenever I said that Prototype was a game about a particularly angry hunter from L4D with a grudge against helicopters, I just got flamed by fanboys =(

Now I have backup. Thanks, Unskippable

BelmontClan

Nov 15, 2009
I loved the Kool-aid man joke AND the comparison to Alex Mercer.

My question is, when will you riff a Castlevania game? I've noted two references to the franchise thus far in your other videos. I will keep hoping!

Ardna Xela

May 28, 2009
I always love references to previous episodes, so the "Run Like Hell" part had me laughing pretty hard. :)

Versipellis

Jul 29, 2009
What a fast-paced opening to a game, in which we learn not much. Simple enough premise. Also, never heard of Desert Bus, or Child's Play! I am intrigued and think this is an awesome cause.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
And off to Desertbus.org I go!

...iiiin about 5 minutes. I have to make a detour at Restaurant City.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I gotta say, these are seriously less funny when the movie being mocked was actually done well. First Borderlands, now Left 4 Dead... it'd be like if MST3K decided to do a show on Citizen Kane. Sure the rabid fans of the show will insist it was the "best yet", but anyone with taste will wonder if they're running out of ideas and/or movies.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I gotta say, these are seriously less funny when the movie being mocked was actually done well. First Borderlands, now Left 4 Dead... it'd be like if MST3K decided to do a show on Citizen Kane. Sure the rabid fans of the show will insist it was the "best yet", but anyone with taste will wonder if they're running out of ideas and/or movies.
Well good and bad is subjective, but I'd say this is not a new thing. I personally thought the opining cinematic of Onimusha 3 was awesome. and that was a long time ago. I don't think the actual quality of the scene in question makes it's mockery less funny.

And you may or may not know that the MS3TK crew always wanted to do other movies but couldn't get the rights to them. Now a days they do the rifftracks thing, which goes around the copyright laws by not actually featuring the movie (it's audio you have to play over the movie).

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Okay, so this was great and all, but...

aren't you supposed to bash BAD cutscenes? I've always thought that this one was pretty epic.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
GrahamS said:
samsonguy920 said:
They might very well have done L4D today since 2 comes out tomorrow
Funny story, that was totally, and completely, unplanned.
I didn't even realize until you said it. Heck, I thought L4D2 was coming out Q1 next year.

Wow, go us for being timely!
It may still, as of this posting, PC version of L4D2 is 1 hour and 10 minutes overdue for release. But no surprise since Valve pulled the same last minute fixing with the early release demo. Go figure. At least now we have something to feed our L4D cravings in the meantime. Thank you Graham! And Paul, I hope you were able to forgive Graham for not hitting the skip button. :D

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
They should've planted some plants around, that'd would've stopped those zombies. ...esp if they had some of those Cob Launchers, those things can devastate a shit load of zombies, slow reload time though.

...anyway, I don't think this was one of the better episodes, but still good for a chuckle or two.
BTW, what is this DesertBus thing?

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I gotta say, these are seriously less funny when the movie being mocked was actually done well. First Borderlands, now Left 4 Dead... it'd be like if MST3K decided to do a show on Citizen Kane.
Obviously I disagree. It's not the goodness or badness of the scene that makes it funny.
I understand that if you like the scene (as I do, with Borderlands, and this one) then you might think that we're "making fun of it" and get upset or irritated, but we're not.
Making some good-natured ribs, maybe, but are we saying its bad? No.

And the MST3K guys recently did Casablanca on Rifftrax. Casablanca is a fantastic film, but it still made a hilarious Rifftrax.

As an aside, there's no way we could be running out of games, any time soon.

Woem

May 28, 2009
This is actually one of the best intro's I've ever seen. Isn't it the job of Unskippable to "[make] fun of bad game cinematics so you don't have to"? These really aren't all that fun when the intro being voiced is actually good.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Rock said:
I'm just going to go ahead and come to terms with the fact that I'm probably one of few that laughed at the "West Side Story" reference.
Although Im not old enough,I can appreciate the joke because I've heard about WSS from my parents.

Jiveturkey124

Jan 13, 2009
GrahamS said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I gotta say, these are seriously less funny when the movie being mocked was actually done well. First Borderlands, now Left 4 Dead... it'd be like if MST3K decided to do a show on Citizen Kane.
Obviously I disagree. It's not the goodness or badness of the scene that makes it funny.
I understand that if you like the scene (as I do, with Borderlands, and this one) then you might think that we're "making fun of it" and get upset or irritated, but we're not.
Making some good-natured ribs, maybe, but are we saying its bad? No.

And the MST3K guys recently did Casablanca on Rifftrax. Casablanca is a fantastic film, but it still made a hilarious Rifftrax.

As an aside, there's no way we could be running out of games, any time soon.
I have been known to tussle with the boys from Unskippable a lot, but I have to agree with Graham 100% here.

When someone riffs an older bad movie, it can take its toll on the viewer. I mean I remember watching Hamlet from MST3K, and dont get me wrong it had some hilarious lines; but just having to sit through two hours of it sucked, no matter who was riffing it.

When you Riff a good movie, video game, or whatever It can be alot easier to get into simply because your not watching some horrible piece of cinema. Like for example when Unskippable did "Dead Rising". The Cut scene itself is interesting, I remember playing the game when it first came out and loving the story and the cut scenes to it, so when the riffed it It was just taking a great cut scene and making it better.

Also, apparently alot of people on here think that riffing is an easy gig. I ask all of you to go ahead and try a riff on your own, and then come back here with the results. Me and my friend recently riffed "Hard Boiled" by John Woo (BTW Can you Unskippable guys do "Stranglehold" please?), and it was tough to riff! The perfect analogy for it, is people who say Hockey is a talentless sport, but have never ice skated in their entire life.

You never know how hard it is to riff, until you've been out on the ice.

-Jive

Angel Emfrbl

Nov 4, 2008
If they ever do Sonic the Hedgehog '06... Lol. They can take the serious intros and turn them upside down as it is.