Unskippable: Metroid: Other M Part 1

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I have been a defender of Other M pretty much since the beginning, however, I have to agree with that last statement about the difference between giving Samus a voice and what was done with that voice.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..Yeah, pretty much how I remember the game. The writing and the tone of her voice made me more bored listening to it than watching Men whom stare at Goats did. And that almost deserves a medal on it's own merits (in how to put me to sleep the fastest, that is).

The gameplay was fine, but fuck.. Samus had more emotion (better conveyed) and intrigue when she was a mute. You have to fail pretty hard to make that statement come to life.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Man, Benzaie's Metroid: Other M in 5 seconds was spot on. BLAH BLAH BLAH THE BABY BLAH BLAH BLAH THE BABY

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Other M... my most hated game ever. Yes, the gameplay isn't bad (but, no, it's not good either), but the story BUTCHERED my favorite character.

This Samus is NOT the Samus I know and love.

I mean, nothing gets you ready for an epic adventure of blasting aliens and blowing up planets like a 10 minute monologue about babies in a dry monotone, right?

And I agree. The Metroid imprinted on HER. In fact, in Super Metroid, she just DUMPS the thing in the labs of some scientists and flies away, glad to be rid of it. Even IF she liked it, it was a stupid animal. It would be like my dog dying. Yes, I'd be a bit sad, but I'd GET OVER IT.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
The video isn't working.
No, I don't have ad blocker.
And I'm a pub club member.

I've had problems with unskippable in the past as well. What's going on?

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
leviadragon99 said:
Yeah... in this one cutscene I suddenly get why everyone was so pissed about Other M.

Makes me wonder why there's a faction that actually likes it.
The gameplay is actually not that bad. Not that I'm defending the game, but if you take out the god awful story, characterization, script, ect. the core game play does hold up fairly well.
You mean all four hours of it? That's pretty short for an indie game let alone a $60 title.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Golan Trevize said:
qwerty19411 said:

Text would have been a better option than that voice actor.
It's not the actor that's the problem, in fact, she is one of the best and most used voices in the industry. The real issue is a script that looks like it was written by a drunken baboon.
I think you have the voice actor for Other M confused with someone else. If the Metroid Wikia is to be believed, Samus was voiced by one Jessica Martin, whose only video game voice actor credit is...you guess it, Other M.

EDIT: My mistake, I should have read the entire thread. I didn't realize you had already been corrected.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Want to know something fun ?

They had Sakamoto decide on the voice actress.
The english voice actress.
To make sure "the quality of the voice" was right.

And as you should all be aware, he was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the story and the characterization.
Also, he is pretty much in charge of Metroid at this point.

I hope none of you are overly invested in the series.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:

And as you should all be aware, he was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the story and the characterization.

Actually, he had nothing to do with the prime series, aside from trying to say they never happened.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Wow, I´m seriously attention-impaired.
I just noticed the "part 1" thing NOW.
Fingers crossed for parts 2 - 10.

Warachia said:
TheAmazingHobo said:

Actually, he had nothing to do with the prime series, aside from trying to say they never happened.
Yeah, I know (the "singlehandedly responsible"-part was meant with regards to Other M, sorry if that was not clear).
Towards the end of the Prime series (when he got more and more control), he actually started vetoing stuff Retro wanted to do. And he has complete control NOW.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Then he and the rest of the world have VERY different opinions of what constitutes "art". Or "good" for that matter.
Well, this is a man who used to brag for decades that he was the only one who knew where on Samus´ body her beauty-mark was.
So.... yeah.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
I never played any Metroid game, but after watching this I had to check out the Japanese version to see if it's just a bad dub, the Japanese voice acting is definitely better. She sounds like a calm but not bored.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
Being a fan of the Metroid series, I normally would defend the games, any of them, except this monstrosity. This game was awful.

I have seen that many other fans of the metroid series, seem to agree with me that it may have the title of Metroid, but it is not part of the canon.

I found this episode very funny, and I'm glad that your now making fun of it too.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
awdrifter said:
I never played any Metroid game, but after watching this I had to check out the Japanese version to see if it's just a bad dub, the Japanese voice acting is definitely better. She sounds like a calm but not bored.
I was actually going to ask about that. I don't usually beef about dubs versus original Japanese, but when complaints about voice acting are this many, and this valid, I get curious.

Something unique about this game. Everyone hates Samus's voice, but almost no one blames her actress. There seems to be an unspoken understanding that the writers/director actually told her to try and sound emotionally vacant. I dig that.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
BrainWalker said:
awdrifter said:
I was actually going to ask about that. I don't usually beef about dubs versus original Japanese, but when complaints about voice acting are this many, and this valid, I get curious.

Something unique about this game. Everyone hates Samus's voice, but almost no one blames her actress. There seems to be an unspoken understanding that the writers/director actually told her to try and sound emotionally vacant. I dig that.
Well even if they never actually said she couldn't emote more they still excepted the fact she didn't for the final cut If that's all she could do I'd of let her go and gotten someone else who could.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Wow. I had avoided this game all along, and now I see that it was the right decision.

Okay. So Jessica Martin's voice is definitely higher than Jennifer Hale's and higher than I thought Samus's voice should be. (Contralto or low alto at best, I imagined.) Still, that's nothing and I can get over that easily. After all, contemporary evidence says that Abraham Lincoln's voice was a lot higher than people imagine nowadays too, so no big deal, right?

Well, except for everything else. I'm willing to give Martin the benefit of the doubt, as I've seen and heard what bad scripts can do to good actors (watch Star Trek 5 if you disagree). I wrote better scripts than that in middle school. Synonyms, people. Stop saying "baby" over and over like a bad R&B song. Write the words with some heart so that Martin has something to work with. I think I'd rather have Symphony of the Night over-the-top cheese than lifelessness. The leer (I can't call it anything else) from the quarantine officer just reinforced so many negative stereotypes it's sick.

Also, the zero-suit (for lack of a better name for it). Even in Zero Mission, it was not a bloody fetish outfit. It doesn't have sick heels. What is the point of four-inch heels in that damned suit? They were never there before, serve no damned purpose, and they disappear! Watch the Sailor Samus transformation sequence: suddenly the full Power Suit looks totally normal, she's flat-footed, and the fetish-heels are gone. Probably because the designers couldn't authorise changing the iconic design. So where'd the heels go?

Thank you for giving me the chance to confirm that never playing this abomination is the right choice for me. I think I'm going to find a few of the high-quality Super Metroid romhacks and play a proper new Metroid game.