Unskippable: Metroid: Other M Part 1

Jul 9, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Yeah... in this one cutscene I suddenly get why everyone was so pissed about Other M.

Makes me wonder why there's a faction that actually likes it.
Probably because the gameplay was actually not too bad and sorta tried to be different. It's just the story made it unbearable.

And you know what? The VA, and the script, and the plot itself, and the characters, and all that stuff are really bad, but the worst part for me is the fact that the plot is a retread of the much better Metroid:Fusion without the one compelling element: the X, and especially the SA-X.

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
I can't load Unskippable, no ad-blocker, lots of refreshing, two different computers tried... WTF is the problem here?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i was actually considering buying a wii just so i could play this game. boy did i ever dodge a bullet

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
so funny... the game itself...cringeworthy. but the cutscene's pretty enough lol?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
Metroid: Other M Part 1

Metroid goes with the other M.

Watch Video
C'mon, Samus, this is Quarantine, not a runway. You don't have to work it.

I too always thought it was Zebes.

Please, Nintendo. Get Retro Studios on the phone. I live near Austin, I could volunteer!

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
00slash00 said:
i was actually considering buying a wii just so i could play this game. boy did i ever dodge a bullet
Why yes, yes you did. That would've proven the worst $300 decision ever.

However, you can still get a Wii and pick up a copy of the infinitely superior Metroid Prime Trilogy (although you'll have to get it used).

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Warachia said:
Eric the Orange said:
leviadragon99 said:
Yeah... in this one cutscene I suddenly get why everyone was so pissed about Other M.

The gameplay is actually not that bad. Not that I'm defending the game, but if you take out the god awful story, characterization, script, ect. the core game play does hold up fairly well.
You mean all four hours of it? That's pretty short for an indie game let alone a $60 title.
Eh well it took me 6 hours to beat and 10 to get 100%. But yeah a $60 game should have at least 20 hours of gameplay to justify the cost.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
I dunno if that is the "official" way to pronounce Zebes, but I swear to god every time she says it that way it makes me cringe and grit my teeth.

The core gameplay was alright, the camera worked fine most of the time, the cutscenes were very beautiful, and the motion controls weren't broken. But the writing, voice acting, and characterization of Samus Aran was absolutely HORRENDOUS! So much so that if Nintendo has any sense they will retcon this game out of existence and we shall never speak of this abomination ever again.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
00slash00 said:
Metroid Prime 3 and/or Metroid Prime Trilogy still make it a worthwhile purchase. Retro Studios nailed the franchise's appeal just as much as Other M botched it entirely.

Maybe Nintendo will pull a Devil May Cry 2, rebound with another classic, and never, ever mention this game again?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
That voice and the word made by it were excruciating. This is almost into the realms of so-bad-it's-worse, almost so it's still a good vid from the LRR guys.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
OK, this is my 1st time hearing Samus' voice-actor and Ho-ly Shit! That was bad. That was agonizing. It's like the script was translated using Babel fish!

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Warachia said:
Eric the Orange said:
leviadragon99 said:

The gameplay is actually not that bad. Not that I'm defending the game, but if you take out the god awful story, characterization, script, ect. the core game play does hold up fairly well.
You mean all four hours of it? That's pretty short for an indie game let alone a $60 title.
Eh well it took me 6 hours to beat and 10 to get 100%. But yeah a $60 game should have at least 20 hours of gameplay to justify the cost.
The cutscenes are about two hours long, and since he's only talking about the gameplay, I didn't include them either.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Great episode, can't wait for part 2.

But I still don't get the hate-on for other M.

"Voice was emotionless and annoying, waaaaahhhhhh." Yeah, because space bounty hunters are supposed to have rich and practiced public speaking voices, even in inner monologue. I'd have loved to hear Jen Hale again as well, good luck getting her to work for what this other lady probably got. When you give a voice to a voiceless character (other than the general grunt-ieness of Samus prior to OM) complaining about it is... the mark of the crybaby. You don't like it, too bad. I've heard way worse voice acting in games that people loved.

"She took orders from some MAN? That's not the Samus I imagined." Nail on the head... "YOU IMAGINED." Because WE DIDN'T FREAKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER PAST PRIOR TO OM. She had been part of a military. Odds are then that she took orders from somebody. It's a guy... that's a problem? Would have changed the story EXACTLY NONE if that officer had been a woman (well it would have been kinda hot, but otherwise the same.) See above about giving voice to voiceless character, it's exactly the same when you give backstory to storyless character. So she's not the cocksure (or the fem equivalent if the cock- prefix doesn't work) woman version of shoot em' up Duke Nukem. Wow, they gave her an ACTUAL PERSONALITY complete with FLAWS and EMOTIONAL TRIGGERS. THOSE BASTARDS, how dare they.

"She had to wait for ORDERS to use upgrades?" It was a freakin FRAMING DEVICE. How many times does the "oops, I tripped and broke every upgrade on the suit, how clumsy of me" method work before she just comes off as a particularly uncoordinated for a world class bounty hunter? Retro Studios never came up with anything better than that stupid re-hash. So Ninja went with a different framing device. Yeah, it sucked. You have a better framing device? Kinda hard to come up with isn't it? You can't just let her keep the upgrades and weapons. Welcome to the Metroid sequel "Metroid: You Start Fully Powered Up and Can Beat it in 5 Minutes...-oid." I doubt many would spend money on that.

"Why she freeze whun see Ridluy, she kill him all teh time?" Let's see... Ridley killed her family when she was just a child, she defeats him twice (killing him the second time,) and now he's BACK FROM THE DEAD and even more pissed than before. A little freeze-up can happen at that point. It was probably a drain on the armor's energy reserves as the waste recycler and eradication system went into overdrive for a few seconds there. Totally understandable now that she actually has a personality other than just a gun arm.

"BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, ARRGGGHHH" Ok, I got nothing here. Perhaps the playtesters loaded them up with the freakin stupid complaints above and they figured they had to really overdrive a plot point home to get it thru the thick skulls of the fanbase. Yeah, it was pretty annoying.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Kyrian007 said:

*cracks knuckles* Oh boy, I'm going to love this...

Kyrian007 said:
"Voice was emotionless and annoying, waaaaahhhhhh." Yeah, because space bounty hunters are supposed to have rich and practiced public speaking voices, even in inner monologue.
They're not supposed to NOT have cool voices either. Case in point, bounty hunters such as Boba Fett in Star Wars sound cool (both old and new voices), and most every other masked warrior in gaming and movies has a cool, likeable, empowering voice (Master Chief, Isaac Clarke, Batman, even Tali in Mass Effect, the "cute girl", has an impressionable and strong voice).

A strong facet of likeable, popular characters with speaking voices is they have voices that most people like listening to. Arkham Asylum wouldn't be half as good without its talented voice cast and its pitch-perfect use of Kevin Conroy as the voice of the hero.

I'm not saying she has to be perfect, but a good voice actor for a good gaming icon was absolutely one of the most essential parts of this game. Even in the Smash Bros. series, she sounds likeable, strong, and interesting, and that's only with a few taunts and lines to work with.

Kyrian007 said:
I'd have loved to hear Jen Hale again as well, good luck getting her to work for what this other lady probably got. When you give a voice to a voiceless character (other than the general grunt-ieness of Samus prior to OM) complaining about it is... the mark of the crybaby. You don't like it, too bad. I've heard way worse voice acting in games that people loved.
I like plenty of games with bad voice acting too... but I like the games MORE with better voice acting. Resident Evil's hammy, campy dialogue would never work in this day and age, and the remake did it far better. Beyond that, Other M's story was supposed to be taken seriously; it wasn't campy or goofy. Other M was a very serious story with lots of emotional weight, important character moments, and heavy story content... and bad acting DESTROYS the impact of those scenes. A wise saying in Hollywood is that a good actor can make bad material resonate, but a bad actor can make a great story and script fail miserably.

Other M's story AND voice acting were bad... so that's doubly worse. The gameplay was marginally decent, but concerning the story and voice acting? Really bad. That's not being a "crybaby", that's just being honest and having a smidgen of good taste.

Kyrian007 said:
"She took orders from some MAN? That's not the Samus I imagined." Nail on the head... "YOU IMAGINED." Because WE DIDN'T FREAKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER PAST PRIOR TO OM.
Do you know what a "Strawman Argument" is? Because you just did it. Nobody is saying "this is the Samus I IMAGINED". I've played Metroid for nearly 25 years, and in none of the nearly 10 games she's been in has she curled up into a little ball and cried when Ridley swooped in to get killed for the umpteenth time.

And I totally reject the "we don't know anything about her past" argument, since Samus's personality, and past, have been explored, very well, I might add, in games such as Zero Mission, Super Metroid, Fusion, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 3, and others. Just because they were not overtly expository does not mean they didn't exist, and I dare say Samus's touching act of respect and remembrance towards fallen comrades at the end of Prime 3, her poignant and empathic way of closing the eyes of a dead soldier in Prime 2, her anger and determined face when fighting Ridley in Zero Mission, her confident and classy smile and expressions in the endings of Fusion, and much more, showed LOADS of character traits and depth. If you never saw that, sorry, but you weren't looking deep enough, because there are plenty of examples that show she did have a lot going on and she was not a blank cipher.

Kyrian007 said:
She had been part of a military. Odds are then that she took orders from somebody. It's a guy... that's a problem? Would have changed the story EXACTLY NONE if that officer had been a woman (well it would have been kinda hot, but otherwise the same.) See above about giving voice to voiceless character, it's exactly the same when you give backstory to storyless character. So she's not the cocksure (or the fem equivalent if the cock- prefix doesn't work) woman version of shoot em' up Duke Nukem. Wow, they gave her an ACTUAL PERSONALITY complete with FLAWS and EMOTIONAL TRIGGERS. THOSE BASTARDS, how dare they.
As a girl, this offends me. See, the problem was NOT giving her a "personality" (which, again, I argue she had), but the problem was giving her a BAD personality. If you made Mario a cross-dressing, suicidally depressed plumber who battles an addiction to painkillers, congrats, you just gave him more personality... but that's not a GOOD personality, and nobody wanted or asked for it.

Also, her obeying orders was NEVER a problem... if the orders made sense. The problem is her orders don't make sense; she goes into a lava level and the man in charge doesn't grant her permission to TURN ON HER SHIELDS. She gets into situations where using her equipment could save lives and he DOESN'T ALLOW IT. The game makes us run into dead ends for no other reason than because we're told to. Samus never questions Adam; she does as she's told, even when these orders make no sense and jeopardize her health. Male or female, that's stupid, and she, also, isn't obligated to even do that. She's no longer military. Furthermore, if the game had SHOWN a reason, just one reason, why Adam is a good commander, sure.... MAYBE. But the game never even does that. Adam is a jerk and an incompetent moron all the way to the end.

A good firefighter follows orders; but no firefighter rushes into a burning building without protection, even under orders. That's what Adam did, and that's why it bothers ME.

Kyrian007 said:
"She had to wait for ORDERS to use upgrades?" It was a freakin FRAMING DEVICE. How many times does the "oops, I tripped and broke every upgrade on the suit, how clumsy of me" method work before she just comes off as a particularly uncoordinated for a world class bounty hunter? Retro Studios never came up with anything better than that stupid re-hash. So Ninja went with a different framing device. Yeah, it sucked. You have a better framing device?
Off the top of my head? Yes. Keep the same general idea, but throw in an electronic device on the ship that literally disables Samus's equipment and Adam is working in the computer room to fix it. Nothing gets "authorized", Samus is still limited, Adam is proven useful, and stupid moments like the "lava level" room make sense since her powers are limited by a timing mechanic instead of one man's incompetence and distrust. There, that took me 5 seconds to think up.

Kyrian007 said:
Kinda hard to come up with isn't it?
(points above)

Kyrian007 said:
You can't just let her keep the upgrades and weapons. Welcome to the Metroid sequel "Metroid: You Start Fully Powered Up and Can Beat it in 5 Minutes...-oid." I doubt many would spend money on that.
You never played Metroid Prime 3, did you... because, um, you start the game with all your equipment. You just get NEW equipment as the game goes further along. So, yeah, there HAS been Metroid games that did this very thing... and the game was GREAT.

Kyrian007 said:
"Why she freeze whun see Ridluy, she kill him all teh time?" Let's see... Ridley killed her family when she was just a child, she defeats him twice (killing him the second time,) and now he's BACK FROM THE DEAD and even more pissed than before. A little freeze-up can happen at that point. It was probably a drain on the armor's energy reserves as the waste recycler and eradication system went into overdrive for a few seconds there. Totally understandable now that she actually has a personality other than just a gun arm.
According to the game timeline, this would be the fourth or fifth time she's fought Ridley, sixth if you include the Metroid manga. He's come back from the dead EVERY time, sometimes as an even bigger, meaner robot cyborg alien killing machine. Beyond that, this isn't even the same Ridley; it's a clone. It doesn't even know who Samus is and just attacks everyone on sight, so it's not even the same guy that killed her parents when she was, oh, THREE years old. And it wasn't just a "little" freeze up; she laid on the ground crying and begging for help for nearly a full minute and a half, enough that it pretty much gets her friend Anthony KILLED. Again, if this happened in any other game, and Anthony wasn't around to save her, she'd have been killed, so it doesn't make sense when compared to all those previous battles.

Kyrian007 said:
"BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, BABY, ARRGGGHHH" Ok, I got nothing here. Perhaps the playtesters loaded them up with the freakin stupid complaints above and they figured they had to really overdrive a plot point home to get it thru the thick skulls of the fanbase. Yeah, it was pretty annoying.
I would have killed for a synonym. "The infant", "the hatchling", "the Metroid spawn", "the Metroid child", "the young Metroid"... something, anything... Beyond that, the opening of Super Metroid has her dumping the thing in the laps of some scientists and ditching it, never looking back. The plot of the game wasn't because she "loved it", but because it got kidnapped by space pirates that wanted to use its energy for evil means and she HAD to stop it. She never showed love for it in any prior games, so it's odd to see that so forced upon us now.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Trishbot said:
Do you know what a "Strawman Argument" is? Because you just did it. Nobody is saying "this is the Samus I IMAGINED". I've played Metroid for nearly 25 years, and in none of the nearly 10 games she's been in has she curled up into a little ball and cried when Ridley swooped in to get killed for the umpteenth time.
Huh? So you're not saying she's not the Samus you imagined... you're saying she's not the Samus you imagined... not seeing a strawman here. You made the exact same argument I was talking about a sentence after declaring it a strawman. So even if it was (which it wasn't considering there were pages of posts all making that same argument prior in this thread, try reading it) just one sentence later you effectively un-strawman-ed it. Thanks... I guess? You must be a bigger Metroid fan than I am I admit. I haven?t read the manga. Still, keeping it to the video games, a couple of pages of flavor text (mostly about how much space pirates hate and fear Samus) and a look or a glance here and there really don't constitute backstory. They give someone kind of a feel for a character but they really tell us nothing specific about her past, life outside of bounty hunting, anything really.

Trishbot said:
Other M was a very serious story with lots of emotional weight, important character moments, and heavy story content... and bad acting DESTROYS the impact of those scenes.
Not really for me. Again, we saw it differently, this was the first time I consider the character of Samus to be more than just gun-arm alien shooter girl. The voice acting was bad, but considering that they were GOING for an emotionally scarred character who probably bottles emotions and channels it into fighting and surviving it really didn't seem enough out of place to bother me much. I considered OM a little "story heavy" (sometimes long cutscenes bother me a little, "Metal Gear" I'm looking right at you) But seeing how this is the first time we got any story about Samus, I didn't let that get to me. The story wasn't great, but I actually read books if I want a great story. I don't look for videogames to be Clarke or Asimov.

Trishbot said:
As a girl, this offends me. See, the problem was NOT giving her a "personality" (which, again, I argue she had), but the problem was giving her a BAD personality. If you made Mario a cross-dressing, suicidally depressed plumber who battles an addiction to painkillers, congrats, you just gave him more personality... but that's not a GOOD personality, and nobody wanted or asked for it.
Sorry, only looking to slightly offend, not seriously offend. But your example isn't bad. What do we know about Mario? The (obviously non-canon) web series "There Will Be Brawl" depicted Mario as a drunken brawler who's not above dealing drugs to pay the bills. A hero at heart trying to get by in a gritty run-down mushroom kingdom. Yeah, I didn't ask for it but that show was AWESOME. Sorry OM wasn't what you expected, but different doesn't equal bad. It only CAN equal bad. Even I wasn't expecting to see an emotionally scarred Samus with real rage and abandonment issues. After playing OM I thought it explained a lot. Violent, extremely self-sufficient, highly adaptable, some of the possible characteristics of a survivor like Samus. It also could explain the strange affection for Adam and the weird baby-crazy sudden maternal instinct.

Trishbot said:
You never played Metroid Prime 3, did you... because, um, you start the game with all your equipment. You just get NEW equipment as the game goes further along. So, yeah, there HAS been Metroid games that did this very thing... and the game was GREAT
Um, you didn't play any of the others but 1 I guess. You start with all the weapons in all of the others and break them somehow. Allright, snotty mocking voice over now. Circumstances, I admit. MP 2 and 3 I didn't play until the trilogy release. I have a tendency to think of prime as a whole itself even though 2 pulls the same tripped over her purse and broke her armor BS as all the others. Hardly counts for 3 though, the old equipment from 2 is just the new starting equipment and you can't advance until you start getting 3's powerups just like all the others. Interesting side note, MP2 is my favorite simply because it was the most challenging, but not until I got a used GC copy to play while my roomate was playing Fire Emblem on the Wii. On the Wii it was the weakest of the prime series. On GC I found it to be the best.

Trishbot said:
According to the game timeline, this would be the fourth or fifth time she's fought Ridley, sixth if you include the Metroid manga. He's come back from the dead EVERY time, sometimes as an even bigger, meaner robot cyborg alien killing machine. Beyond that, this isn't even the same Ridley; it's a clone. It doesn't even know who Samus is and just attacks everyone on sight, so it's not even the same guy that killed her parents when she was, oh, THREE years old. And it wasn't just a "little" freeze up; she laid on the ground crying and begging for help for nearly a full minute and a half, enough that it pretty much gets her friend Anthony KILLED. Again, if this happened in any other game, and Anthony wasn't around to save her, she'd have been killed, so it doesn't make sense when compared to all those previous battles.
Ok, I wasn't counting the handhelds (I've only played those emulated anyway) but 2, 5, whatever it doesn't matter. Those games were just side scrolling shooters with only really loose and sparsely thrown in story to tell you why you are "point gun arm and kill dey azz." With a story like the one they conveyed I would have complained if they didn't acknowledge her emotional damage. "That guy, yeah he killed my parents a while back. Guess I'd better mosey on over there and give him an ass full of phazer. It's clobbering time." That's somehow better? (btw sarcasm isn't a strawman, it's sarcasm) And you capitalized the age three. So, is your argument that she should have gotten over it or forgotten it by now? I watched a parental figure die when I was three. Wasn't violent (a stroke) but trust me, that stays imprinted on your brain FOREVER. You don't get over it, you just try to channel it into something positive, which for the most part I see Samus as having done. Maybe that's why I can see the positive in the story. I guess I should be glad more can't.

Trishbot said:
Off the top of my head? Yes. Keep the same general idea, but throw in an electronic device on the ship that literally disables Samus's equipment and Adam is working in the computer room to fix it. Nothing gets "authorized", Samus is still limited, Adam is proven useful, and stupid moments like the "lava level" room make sense since her powers are limited by a timing mechanic instead of one man's incompetence and distrust. There, that took me 5 seconds to think up.
Taking your word for it that it was only off the top of your head... that works way better. But then again it's only halfway different from the trip and fall device of the other games. Take away Adam doing anything to help out and that is just another "broke my stuff, gotta get more" device. But still, way better than the orders thing. But it's still the same basic framing device they've always used before. I'm not saying they made a good decision straying from the formula, but I can't fault them for trying something different. It didn't work, but they at least tried something different. Remember, Retro Studios were "trying something different" when they made a drastic switch of perspective with Prime. If the devs never ever attempted to change the formula, we never would have seen Prime in the first place.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
A small note on the Ridley thing: Didn't the planet his body was on explode last time she killed him? [sub](I'm going off a wiki since I'm fuzzy on the timeline)[/sub] If that doesn't make an impact, I don't know what would.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Kyrian007 said:

"Voice was emotionless and annoying, waaaaahhhhhh." Yeah, because space bounty hunters are supposed to have rich and practiced public speaking voices, even in inner monologue. I'd have loved to hear Jen Hale again as well, good luck getting her to work for what this other lady probably got. When you give a voice to a voiceless character (other than the general grunt-ieness of Samus prior to OM) complaining about it is... the mark of the crybaby. You don't like it, too bad. I've heard way worse voice acting in games that people loved.

"She took orders from some MAN? That's not the Samus I imagined." Nail on the head... "YOU IMAGINED." Because WE DIDN'T FREAKING KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER PAST PRIOR TO OM. She had been part of a military. Odds are then that she took orders from somebody. It's a guy... that's a problem? Would have changed the story EXACTLY NONE if that officer had been a woman (well it would have been kinda hot, but otherwise the same.) See above about giving voice to voiceless character, it's exactly the same when you give backstory to storyless character. So she's not the cocksure (or the fem equivalent if the cock- prefix doesn't work) woman version of shoot em' up Duke Nukem. Wow, they gave her an ACTUAL PERSONALITY complete with FLAWS and EMOTIONAL TRIGGERS. THOSE BASTARDS, how dare they.

"She had to wait for ORDERS to use upgrades?" It was a freakin FRAMING DEVICE. How many times does the "oops, I tripped and broke every upgrade on the suit, how clumsy of me" method work before she just comes off as a particularly uncoordinated for a world class bounty hunter? Retro Studios never came up with anything better than that stupid re-hash. So Ninja went with a different framing device. Yeah, it sucked. You have a better framing device? Kinda hard to come up with isn't it? You can't just let her keep the upgrades and weapons. Welcome to the Metroid sequel "Metroid: You Start Fully Powered Up and Can Beat it in 5 Minutes...-oid." I doubt many would spend money on that.

Why hello movieBob, I would spend some time debating and countering your points but thankfully some kind people have done that already.

Argument #1 part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWfUQvn9kIs&list=FLJXsCFzDj7_vp1sGkuBhASw&index=4
Argument #1 part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHERERgMtSo&list=FLJXsCFzDj7_vp1sGkuBhASw&index=3

Argument #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZSxcUZfwCM&list=FLJXsCFzDj7_vp1sGkuBhASw&index=2

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Wow, that has got to be one of the crappiest trailers I ever saw. It's blander than a glass of lukewarm water.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It's not just what the voice says, it's also how the voice says it. Seriously, even if the lines were good, that delivery is....Ugh.