Unskippable: Sonic the Hedgehog

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, really. If I didn't already know it was Sonic because of the video title, I would have never expected him or Robotnik to show up. What the hell.

And this isn't the last time it happens, either. Sonic gets teleported into someone else's game in Sonic 4 as well, and ends up controlling like whoever the main character of that game was supposed to be instead of like Sonic.

Blue streak as his franchise dies indeed. If people would stop buying garbage like Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors and insisting that it's good, SEGA could finally pull the plug on this. But nooooo...

GamemasterAnthony said:
You know...Sonic probably WOULD have had a better RPG than Sonic Chronicles if Square-Enix was on board.
It would have been worse. Much worse. Perhaps you've forgotten Square Enix's track record for bad games?

Pedro The Hutt said:
Except his original name is Eggman, he's always been called Eggman in Japan, Sonic games are made by a Japanese developer, his Wing Fortress in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was branded with a giant E at several locations, the Death EGG, and one of his robots shoots eggs, how much more evidence do you need to be snapped out of your silly denial that Eggman is, and always will be, his original name that Sega of America changed for no good reason.
Except other regions aren't Japan, and in other regions his original name is Robotnik and they later changed it to Eggman. It doesn't matter what he was called in Japan. He was Robotnik here, and then they changed his name to Eggman.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
As much as I complain about Final Fantasy games having too much human (in the current installments anyway) I think I'd rather take that than blue hedgehogs. Granted I can see more people wanting Biggs the Cat than Quina the gender-ambiguous gourmand.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I see a game with deep potential buried within the cash-cow additions and all the executive meddling...

Anyway, with all the bashing I've done to this game, I have to say that Elise has a really nice character design. She just doesn't belong in a Sonic game, for crying out loud.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
summerof2010 said:
Oh, and can someone please explain to me the whole Eggman/Robotnick thing? Why do people disagree about what he's called?
In the 90s, American Sonic games had him named Robotnik, while in Japan his name was Eggman. When Sonic Adventure was dubbed, the American continuity had pretty much become obsolete, so they fused the two names together: Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. People pretty much just call whichever they prefer these days.

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
shadowmagus said:
You know, I hope Mario takes Sonic out for beers occasionally. I mean, I know they have had their franchise disagreements in the past, but I seriously think Sonic needs consoling after this kind of thing.
They did meet once didn't go well. :)

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/5915956/sonic-and-marios-awkward-reunion

Poor Sonic. :(

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
bawkbawkboo1 said:
Lacey Chabert ... does the voice for Meg fucking Griffin (Family Guy obviously).
AbstractStream said:
Chabert only did part of the first season of Family Guy. Mila Kunis has done the voice for Meg basically forever.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Ugh. No. NOPE!

There should be a new law. If a princess/girlfriend/whoever is so useless and stupid that all it takes for her to be kidnapped is for you to look away for a whole of 2 seconds, she doesn't get to be rescued anymore. She deserves to be kidnapped and then raped/sacrificed/marry the bad guy.

I don't care. The next game I play that I see character who is the only reason you're suffering the game in the first place to act this stupid to be kidnapped in the first place I'll just say: have a good time with the bad guy, because I'm not playing this shit.

If only I had this philosophy sooner... I'd be capable of avoiding Final Fantasy X. Or at least if I realized it the second time Yuna was kidnapped. Or the fifth...

*sobs*

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Except other regions aren't Japan, and in other regions his original name is Robotnik and they later changed it to Eggman. It doesn't matter what he was called in Japan. He was Robotnik here, and then they changed his name to Eggman.
But why rename anything? It's pretty darn disrespectful to the people who made the original game. "Yeah, nice job, but let's change things around", it's no different from dubbing a film or series and changing the dialogue out of its original context because whoever was in charge of translating didn't like the sound or mood of it.

For all I care, that they refer to him as Eggman from Sonic Adventure onward is what I call "setting the record straight".

And don't any of you guys like the Beatles?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
It's amazing how everything about the sonic world gets updated to next gen graphics and style.
Sonic however just stagnates looking like a 3-d version of the same solid blue sprite.

Talk about symbolism.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Its Pot Leaf the Headhog!

Also the running and jumping in the later scene looked just like that one Sonic DX game that came out on the Dreamcast (and then the Gamecube), so at least the dev team is recycling... their physics engine

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
He actually said "Dr. Eggman"?.. :(((((((((((((
robotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnicrobotnic

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
why do they keep trying to mesh realistic looking humans with the overly cartoonish sonic (and friends). And why must they keep trying to make sonic look "badass and cool". really i think he'd be fine if they just stuck with cartoony (at least setting wise, gameplay would still have to be worked with).

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
There is nothing wrong with having a single giant eye with two pupils. Lots of people have that. It's a medical condition.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Am I the only person who can honestly not see the "eyeball with two pupils" thing?

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
What the HELL did I just watch? Seriously that's all I can say. Why do people buy these games anymore?

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Pedro The Hutt said:
Except his original name is Eggman, he's always been called Eggman in Japan, Sonic games are made by a Japanese developer, his Wing Fortress in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was branded with a giant E at several locations, the Death EGG, and one of his robots shoots eggs, how much more evidence do you need to be snapped out of your silly denial that Eggman is, and always will be, his original name that Sega of America changed for no good reason.
Hey, while we're at it, let's change Mega Man's name back to Rockman, since he was always Rockman in Japan, his cohorts have corresponding names like Roll, Bass, Treble and Beat, and since years of branding in the Western world don't matter!

Oh, and the rebranded board game adaptation is called Settlers of Catan: Rockman Edition.