Unskippable: Sonic Unleashed

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Sonic Unleashed

Evil robots are no match for a cartoon rodent that can run fast.

Watch Video

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Wow, that did look good concidering it was for a kids game.
Omg, i cant stop laughing at the tampon applicator :')

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Somehow I just new you guys were going to make a referrence to the old cartoon opening.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Wow sonic has gotten alot grittier than I remember 0_0 (although the only one I ever played was the original). Solid work as usual.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
I love the super sonic/super sayin joke
The giant tampon, and power rangers joke

I love sonic the hedgehog and for some reason is till want to play this game.

Eggman Land is dumb name

"oh no final fantasy:spirits within has awaken"
"I thought we sealed that movie inside the earth's core"
LOLOLOLOL

LOL at crash getting a gun. That just as dumb as giving.........oh wait they did do that with Shadow

Clirck

Mar 19, 2009
Hey, thats Sonic in space in HD. Awesome episode guys.

Is this Sonic game more playable because as far as I remeber Sonic is kid's game, like Mario.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Oh man it's Star Wars! lol I was waiting for the rebel alliance fleet to come blasting out of no where. Man Eggma... I mean Robotnic is getting pretty creative with his insane technology. and it's hogwolf. How is he breathing?! great stuff as usual.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
tell me why is it until i watched this i wanted to burn that game and stop on it's melty furry ashes.

why did the onimushu-esque-ness make me want to play that!?!

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Wow, Paul was very bitter today.

He needs to balance more things on his head.

However, veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery funny. Better then usual.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Why for the love Robotnik are they trying to make Sonic dark and edgy? The first games were some of the most colourful games PERIOD.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Solid work.

It's a shame this game's script was so lacklustre, or else it might've been a good game. It also could've been better if Chip didn't exist. Ever.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Christ, when did Sonic games start taking themselves that seriously?

Also, the Final Fantasy remark was exactly what I was thinking at that moment. :3

fogmike

Jul 31, 2009
When I actually played this, during this opening cutscene I heard you guys' voices in my head:

"Hey this is actually pretty cool."
"Yeah. Can we control it now?"

So I burst out laughing for no reason, during a serious cutscene XD

Also yes, I SO thought of Spirits Within!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Great opening cinematic and great jokes from movie references.

Final Fantasy The Spirits Within reference was what I was thinking too.

Also, why did they have to rip off Dragonball Z with the whole yellow super-sonic thing. I thought that whole thing was just dumb.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Great episode guys, perhaps one of my favourites. I'd totally forgot Unskippable was going up today, if I'm honest, so glad I checked back :)

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Great episode.

But I feel the urge to point out that hedgehogs aren't rodents.

Nitpick-man awaaaaay!!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Unbelievably funny! And loved the "Spirits within" reference :D

Also, a sad sign of how crap Sonic has become these days - as Paul said, "Its really wierd seeing a muschette that wierd being rendered so realistically". So very true Paul; whatever happened to the simple cartoony graphics? I mean, TF2 has 'simple' graphics, and yet looks great, so why are they trying to render 'Eggmans' muschette.

Also awesome, the Sonic 'SatAM' reference - the only good thing to come from Sonic since Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles (whichever came last).

AND IT IS ROBOTNIK, IGNORE THE JAPANESE! 'EGGMAN' IS THE WORST NAME EVER.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
That intro was actually kinda cool... In a "nothing-like-the-game" way.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
One of the best Unskippables of recent times. Seriously, it seems to be back on it's feet. The power rangers reference made me laugh a lot. And I mean a lot.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Damn that's a good opening to an awful game. I think they spent all their time on the cinematics, and forgot to leave time to make the actual game.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
For anyone wondering; despite how nice it looks, yes, the game IS terrible.
And I'm a Sonic fan. We cannot deny they've been bad since Heroes.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
how was there any sound out in space its a vacuum

and I also wanna know how they expect us to believe that sonic fixes the giant cracks in the earth

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Never, EVER try to sing the Sonic SatAM theme again. EVER.

Also, FYI about Eggman: His name is officially Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, so both name's work. The reason for the change in North America/Europe pre-Adventure is because of a little band called "The Beatles". Also, "Eggman" is more descriptive. He's shaped like a fucking egg.

Awesome video today guys. Thank you for not going "Why are we watching this? It's SONIC." at the beginning like everyone else would.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I find it interesting that they render the robots, spaceships and explosions in such high quality and then turn around and look at Sonic and think "...nah, let's keep him bland. Everyone likes it that way. Let's be true to his fansOHWAITASECOND"

But how does Eggman survive the pressure of space?

I'm with Yahtzee on this one, take Sonic behind the barn and put two shells in his tear-filled face.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
I'd never even heard the character referred to as Eggman before. Ugh. Of course, I haven't played any Sonic games since back when they were actually good, either.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Somehow I just new you guys were going to make a referrence to the old cartoon opening.
Hehe, I was thinking same thing.

Some of the jokes in there are great classics =D

Hikaru CF

May 28, 2009
I also thought Sonicteam had ripped off Star Wars in the opening 3 seconds when I first played this game. More hilarious stuff guys.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
"Deploy the giant tampon applicator!"

If we could have signatures, I'd totally quote that.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Great job again guys. The Rita Repulsa quote got me laughing.

[sup][sup][sup]How do I still remember that name!? [/sup][/sup][/sup]

Hyperone

Nov 30, 2009
How dare they release Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within! Now we are all doomed!

DeviousJ

Nov 9, 2009
"Damn it, Robotnik. Everyone knows that excessive electricity turns you into a werewolf!"
"Werehog?"
"Hogwolf?"
"Hogwere?"
"Werewere?"

That was awesome.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Wow. I mean, usually the I'm inspired to not play a game unskippable does, just because the intro video is so retarded (at least they make it funny). But seriously, the intro sequence to Sonic Unleashed was AMAZINGLY bad. It honestly made me proud that I have never been a Sonic fan (and slightly ashamed that I liked him briefly while playing SSBB).

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Wow. What an odd game.
And seriously, he should invest in a flagship that doesn't explode because a few blast-doors covering his escape get busted.
and has more than 3mm of low-grade steel as armour.
Well, that was a good one, even if the space fleet sucked.

darian Nenith

Nov 18, 2009
Pretty good episode. I actually thought it was a pretty good cut scene. I don't understand why everyone hates the game, I've had loads of fun with it. Speed levels are awesome, and the were-hog levels are tolerable, if only because they're mostly platforming.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Presumedly if he runs really fast he'll be able to reserve the spin of the planet and make time go backwards and fix everything? That's totally solid physics, right?

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
darian Nenith said:
Pretty good episode. I actually thought it was a pretty good cut scene. I don't understand why everyone hates the game, I've had loads of fun with it. Speed levels are awesome, and the were-hog levels are tolerable, if only because they're mostly platforming.
That's because they blindly believe everything that Yahtzee says.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Man... that voice sounds so familiar...

Dr. Robotnic: Gentlemen! I have genetically spliced the double-helix of a hedgehog with that of my roommate, Randall!

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
It is Robotnik. End of story.
Random Wanderer said:
Egg... man? EGG? MAN? What. The. Frak. At least "Dr. Robotnik" has a campy sort of charm to it.
I can't believe there are still people angry about this. Seriously, his name is Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik since 1999. In Japan he was always called Eggman.

Maxi-005

Jan 25, 2010
What's wrong with these villians? Why they always want to destroy the world? I'm curious
P.S.
Robotnik's Red Spaceship looks like a funfair... for Sonic :p

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Darkstar370 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Random Wanderer said:
Egg... man? EGG? MAN? What. The. Frak. At least "Dr. Robotnik" has a campy sort of charm to it.
I can't believe there are still people angry about this. Seriously, his name is Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik since 1999. In Japan he was always called Eggman.
Yes, well. Eggman sounds stupid. Is he attacking people with eggs or robots...or ROBOT EGGS?!

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Darkstar370 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Random Wanderer said:
Yes, well. Eggman sounds stupid. Is he attacking people with eggs or robots...or ROBOT EGGS?!
"Ivo" is the reverse of "ovi" which is the combining form of "ovum" meaning simply, egg.

darian Nenith

Nov 18, 2009
Darkstar370 said:
darian Nenith said:
Yes, good point. It's a shame, too, because the game has some incredibly fun levels, a couple of which even stand up to good old sonic adventure 2...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Darkstar370 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Darkstar370 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Random Wanderer said:
"Ivo" is the reverse of "ovi" which is the combining form of "ovum" meaning simply, egg.
Well, that makes sense. It's still really stupid, though.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Dr. Robotnik wins at the beginning of the game :)
lol, the tampon applicator of DOOM!

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
OK, despite all the griping about WHEN WILL SONIC DIE!??!? I actually want him to continue

NO! DON'T KILL ME, Let me explain!

I. Fecking. LOVE. ROBOTNIK (I'm with you on the Eggman thing, Paul)

He's AWESOME.

What makes this video AWESOME-ER is the fact that HE WON!

I shall now ignore EVERYTHING to do with Sonic subsequent to this video and assume Robotnik won and Sonic burnt horribly in the atmosphere.

I am now at peace with the furry blue bastard

JayDitto

Sep 3, 2009
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for being sonic fans. With the chili dog reference, the sonic song and calling eggman his real name. Ps. Knuckles is the best. I mean you could run as fast as sonic, climb and glide. I mean can you say pwn?

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I will be honest, I thought they were gonna go with a Tentacle Rape Monster joke instead of the Gaia thing. Still funnier than hell.

I love the DBZ references, That's what a friend of mine and I said playing Sonic 2 a few days ago.
This was probably the best one so far. I would almost pay $15 a week for these guys.

ThrashJazzAssassin

Jan 5, 2010
Good episode. To answer Graham's question, electric food mixers and space stations are made by the same company, so they keep cutting corners by employing a single design team to do both jobs.

Yaxley

Sep 23, 2009
After you pointed out how carefully the mustache was rendered, I couldn't look at anything else. Creepy.

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
In Space, no one can hear you scream...unless you are Hogwolf Sonic, then screaming is heard by all.

digipinky75910

May 19, 2020
Country
us
Wow, I've never played a Sonic game before, but this cutscene actually looks pretty impressive. Isn't Sonic *already* half man half hog? Isn't he really just becoming more hog? A game based on SatAm cartoon might be cool.

What is that thing Sonic is in? And why does it turn him into a werehog? And turn the Chaos Emeralds into rocks?

Did getting dropped from space, despite the vacuum of space, just kill Sonic from the drop?

I always mentally change "Eggman" to "Robotnik". No one fears a bloody egg-person. The only Eggman that was cool was John Lennon.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
"Okay, based on this screenshot alone tell me which game this is".

Uhhh.... Final Fantasy X!

No?? Damn, I always lose at this!

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Okay, just to set a baseline. I loved old-school sonic. I used to play Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis all the time. I thought that the cartoons (both western versions) were the best thing ever. Heck, I still own some of the books (somewhere). That being said, the series either needs to go back to 2D or die. End of story. Oh yeah, and "Eggman" needs about 4 CCs of pure, concentrated evil and a common sense booster stat.

Anyway, great show. Looking forward to another one.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Wow, if I had not seen the in-game play... That looks like a really serious business.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
As I recall, Eggman was supposed to be a sort of joke name, something that Dr. R's enemies called him to mock him because of his shape. At what point did it become his real name? And, more importantly, who thought it was a good idea to do that?

thestickman91

Sep 18, 2009
Why is it that in the first scene sonic was unaffected by the vacuum of space, but then later it pulls him out of the ship?

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
Awesome episode, I was expecting the Corellian Cruiser to sly past swiftly followed by the Imperial Star destroyer. Sonic will do I suppose.
I think I may hate the intro simply because the game is nothing like it, and I feel suckered in for liking the intro.

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
Ok, I have to be honest about something (by the way great episode today guys).

Who made the decision to change the Escapist opening at the beginning of all their videos from the dissolving film reel to this picture of the word "Escapist" with the high pitched "HA!" sound. It's really freaking annoying and I ALWAYS mute it at the beginning of the video so I don't have to hear it. I thought the old one was cool and didn't blow out my eardrums. Anyone else have an issue with it?

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Eggman Land?

So Robotnik needs a giant robot army and a space station to build a theme park?

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
WastedHero said:

Who made the decision to change the Escapist opening at the beginning of all their videos from the dissolving film reel to this picture of the word "Escapist" with the high pitched "HA!" sound. It's really freaking annoying and I ALWAYS mute it at the beginning of the video so I don't have to hear it. I thought the old one was cool and didn't blow out my eardrums. Anyone else have an issue with it?
Just, wow. People here really like to complain about the lamest things and make a fuss of everything.

Jun 6, 2009
This is probably the thing that made my month. This show is now my new MST3K.

And because I'm an old SEGA fanboy....

Blue streaks... Speeds by...
Sonic! He can really move!
Sonic! He's got an additude!
Sonic! He's the fastest thing alive!

He's the fastest thing alive!

Ah.... Childhood...

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
This is probably the thing that made my month. This show is now my new MST3K.

And because I'm an old SEGA fanboy....

Ah.... Childhood...
If you're strong, you can fly
You can reach the other side of the rainbow.
It's your right, take a chance
'cause there's no circumstance
That you can't handle (when you use your mind)

Sonic boom, sonic boom
Trouble makes you running faster
Sonic boom, sonic boom
Save the planet from disaster
Sonic boom, sonic boom
Spinning through a world in motion
Sonic boom, sonic boom
Take it all the way!

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Scary thing is this cutscene was best part of this game, they didn't endure your flying sidekick purple guy.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
wow that was an incredibly well done cut scene for a freaking sonic game that was horrible. its like they tried to take the worst part from every genre and mash it together.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Sonic & Mario...will they die gracefully or be dragged kicking & screaming into the grave?

You: "Wait a minute, he's in SPACE. How did he get there?"

Me: "Sam & Max drove him there in the Desoto."

miquelfire

Red Fire
Dec 24, 2008
darian Nenith said:
Have you played the Wii/PS2 version? You must have the 360/PS3 (which appears to be what this cut scene is from as the title doesn't appear in the Wii version...)

-BloodRush-

Dec 15, 2009
darian Nenith said:
Darkstar370 said:
darian Nenith said:
Yes, good point. It's a shame, too, because the game has some incredibly fun levels, a couple of which even stand up to good old sonic adventure 2...
until they are able to give sonic glory again, i support everything yahtzee said about this game.

Spider Expert

Mar 6, 2009
Coming from a guy who hasn't played a sonic game since Sonic 3 on the Sega that video made me feel uncomfortable.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I don't care if it's Sonic or not, that's fricking epic!

Also, why didn't you make a life-stream joke at the end?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So... the intro beginning cribbed from Star Wars, and the intro end cribbed from Final Fantasy. And yet you guys somehow managed to squeeze in Flash Gordon, Dragonball Z, Power Rangers AND Onimusha along the way. Someone call Stephen Hawking; we may have to check the Rules of Physics handbook here to make sure this doesn't exceed some "awesome per square inch" guideline.

You do have to give Robotnik a bit of credit, however. Nobody in DBZ ever managed to destroy a planet in less than ten episodes (flashbacks notwithstanding). Robotnik managed it in forty-five seconds... with a giant tampon applicator.

TheDirector said:
I love how the Wolfman Ad was before this.
Yeah, that was a bizarre little bit of synergy there.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Wow, that did look good concidering it was for a kids game.
Omg, i cant stop laughing at the tampon applicator :')
That stung me pretty well too. The stuff preceding it got a chuckle out of me, like the space station electric blender line and the "Oh no, if only I had some super ability to run!"

One Hot Pocket is better than no Hot Pocket, Graham! Now, EAT THAT HOT POCKET! Haha.. Then the "Molten magma" stung o.o Brilliant wording. And no, not *GASP* The Spirits Within! :O I have never met anyone that enjoyed that odd little.. "Movie"..

And finally, Graham? I hope no one has to find out. Let's leave that planet be, 'kay?

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
I remember this game. I can't believe I actually played something so terrible.

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
Darkstar370 said:
WastedHero said:

Just, wow. People here really like to complain about the lamest things and make a fuss of everything.
Like people complaining about other people complaining?

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
somekindarobot said:
GrahamS said:
C'mon, guys. Hedgehogs are insectivores, not rodents.

SCIENCE NAZI, AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
In my defence, I don't make those posts.
So, it wasn't me! Haha!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I feel obligated to point out that his full name is Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. I know others have already mentioned this, but I felt obligated to mention it too. "Eggman" is like his villainous alias kinda like The Shredder (I'm not even going to try and spell his real name) only not quite as cool.

Anyway good video guys, but don't take up singing you suck at it.
Also, I recall hearing a rumour that one of Sonic's creators is a huge Dragonball Z fan and admitted that the Super Sonic transformation was inspired by it.

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
so he gets sucked out of the spaceship by explosive decompression, yet has no problem running in a vacuum earlier in the cut scene?

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Lol thank god i haven't heard kids saying "When i grow up i wanna be like sonic" lets stick to batman and superman kids :p

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Must be running out of games.

anyway, whats up with animals turning into werewolves in games now? i dont think it looks very cool...

but sonic cant be cool to start with so eh they can do whatever they want and still please the fanboys.

RobDJClark

Oct 31, 2009
Lol at "Eggmans Hotpocket is gonna be so cooked after this"

It was funny.

At least. I thought it was

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
gigastrike said:
I don't care if it's Sonic or not, that's fricking epic!

Also, why didn't you make a life-stream joke at the end?
because such a great game as final fantasy 7 does not deserve to be compared to this... filth!

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Graham and Paul said:
Next Crash Bandicoot game:
Dr. Cortex carpet bombs
DC and Crash gets a gun.
Sweet cherry-flavoured Ice Cream on a fucking stick! Now that's a game that I really want to play! Somebody make that game!

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Man, before I opened the vid I knew I was going to enjoy it, but after watching, I know I loved it.

darian Nenith

Nov 18, 2009
miquelfire said:
darian Nenith said:
Have you played the Wii/PS2 version? You must have the 360/PS3 (which appears to be what this cut scene is from as the title doesn't appear in the Wii version...)
Actually, no. I'm playing the Wii version. I've heard that the 360/PS3 version had much more fighting in the were-hog levels. I've also heard the speed levels had instant death traps and were too fast for it's own good, neither of which are true of the Wii version.

-BloodRush- said:
darian Nenith said:
Darkstar370 said:
darian Nenith said:
until they are able to give sonic glory again, i support everything yahtzee said about this game.
So does that mean you'll disagree with Yahtzee about this game once they "Give sonic glory" again?

Like I said I actually thought that the game was pretty good, at least as far as the speed levels go. The were-hog levels were generic but tolerable; though I can understand why most people didn't like them. They didn't really belong in a sonic game.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Sonic lends itself to this kind of treatment. Its like MST3K's treatment of a gumby episode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M4_XZ3FLHw

Destroy Gundam

Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the whole Eggman/Robotnik thing. They called him Robotnik originally, and I never quite understood why they changed it. That said, I liked this one.

Even though the laws of physics were thoroughly defied.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
It's really hard to make fun of a cinematic that's already so completely stupid and yet falls into that hole that surrounds "existing properties". If any new game series tried something this cracky it would be laughed out of existence.

As for the Eggman/Robotnik thing. It's because in Japan the villain of the game was called "Dr. Eggman" originally. Sega of America thought that this sounded rather stupid to audiences that speak English fluently so they changed it to "Robotnik". For some reason Sega decided with Sonic Adventure 2 to use the Japanese name for the character in all future games.

Sorry for the wall of text. The only reason I caught on to this is that I play the games with the Japanese voice track because the voice acting is slightly less annoying (except when Sonic attempts to speak in English, because apparently saying a few inane things in broken English is cool in Japan).

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
tampon applicator was funny lol
I am curious about what happened to sonic tho... I mean does that only happen when he's exposed to the full moon?

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
its was ok heard way better from your other ones but still a good job with bringing back sonics old shows intro song

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
ahlycks said:
GrahamS said:
ahlycks said:
Must be running out of games.
Not even close.
Wow! The creater replied to me! I love your stuff. But why do this game?
Why not?
No one tells us what games to do, so we do whatever we like and our only real criteria is if we can make it funny.

And this particular intro is ridiculous.

Glad you like it!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Hahaha, oh man, I thought I'd never stop laughing at the "going to the same mechanic as Dr. Wily" bit, and "I'm gonna kill Praxis!" Fantastic job as always!

Also, I agree with Paul. It's Robotnik. Forget that Eggman trash.

Screw_it

Jan 21, 2010
Remember when Sonic was awesome... and wasn't furry drama? or whatever the hell that reboot is?

I miss the Genesis.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
somekindarobot said:
GrahamS said:
C'mon, guys. Hedgehogs are insectivores, not rodents.

SCIENCE NAZI, AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I call that and raise by Erinaceomorpha [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinaceomorpha]. Hedgehogs aren't Insectivores, not anymore. Actually Insectivora doesn't exist as an order anymore. It was just a wastebasket of difficult-to-classify insect-eating animals.

I think it was early 20th century that Hedgehogs where moved out of Insectivora (Wikipedia says 1910, but I'm not too sure about that), but lots of textbooks have continued to use the old (defunct, polyphyletic) classifications.

/scinazi mode off

Great episode! Somehow that cinematic has me thinking of a bastard mutant child of Carebears and Warhammer 40k. Or something.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
So are guys going to do an unskippable of a crash game or not?

I loved those games as a kid, back on the PS1.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
It was funny to see robotnik pulling a Dr. Wiley. And just like Megaman, Sonic fell for it like an idiot. I'm not saying you have to kill them, just shoot/break their legs. Considering all the crap they've pulled broken legs is getting off easy imo.

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
Im sorry im sure this game is just as bad as that sonic Knight game on the Wii but that looked so gawddamn epic! With that video alone at least makes me want to give it a chance..

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
See, this is precisely what's wrong with Sonic games today. Sega seriously needs to go back to the first Sonic game and then compare it to this movie. They're seriously just trying way too hard to make everything look extreme, but when you go back to the original games they didn't have any of that bullshit.

But anyway, nice episode. I particularly liked the parallel you found between how this game and Jak 2 both had the main character being tortured until they turn into a monster version of themselves. I suppose part of me is curious to see how Sonic manages to stitch Earth back together, but at the same time it's such an absurd intro movie that I can only imagine how much worse it gets as the game goes on.

Edit:
inpachi said:
Im sorry im sure this game is just as bad as that sonic Knight game on the Wii but that looked so gawddamn epic! With that video alone at least makes me want to give it a chance..
I find it ironic that I see this posted right after I made my post saying that the intro movie is an exact example of what's wrong with Sonic. ;)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Father Time said:

Did any of the Crash Bandicoot games even have intro sequences? I kinda got out of the series after the second or third one (I forget which), but I don't remember them having anything that you could really do an Unskippable with.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
You think Robotnik is evil but all he really wants is own theme park. If Sonic Team actually change his name back to Robotnik then that will almost make up for all the shit they've been pumping out lately.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
What a cheesy cinematic, but, it lends itself to humor and a great unskippable episode.

Btw i liked The Spirits Within, but i was 15 at the time...

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
Okay, here's how to have some fun:
Open another tab; go to Youtube, type in "Sonic SAT AM intro"; click on the first choice; then pause the Unskippable video of Sonic Unleashed at 1:26; then play start the intro on Youtube in the other tab; make sure the Unskippable video is on mute; and sit back and enjoy a make-shift AMV. Shalom. ;)

Y'know maybe if Sega put more effort into the gameplay & story I wouldn't have been wowed by that cut scene. To be honest that's one of the better cut scenes I've seen in a few years. It almost tricks you into thinking, "Alright, finally a Sonic game that's gonna kick ass!" Still the game blows donkey's.

We still have Sonic 4 to hope for at least. Keep that in your prayers, children.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
That really does look like a tampon applicator. Its nice to see someone else remembers the '90's Sonic, and when the hell did he start going by 'Eggman'? How is he associated with eggs? Does he make robot eggs? I'm glad I jumped the Sonic ship at "3-D Blast".

-BloodRush-

Dec 15, 2009
darian Nenith said:
miquelfire said:
darian Nenith said:
Actually, no. I'm playing the Wii version. I've heard that the 360/PS3 version had much more fighting in the were-hog levels. I've also heard the speed levels had instant death traps and were too fast for it's own good, neither of which are true of the Wii version.

-BloodRush- said:
darian Nenith said:
Darkstar370 said:
darian Nenith said:
So does that mean you'll disagree with Yahtzee about this game once they "Give sonic glory" again?

Like I said I actually thought that the game was pretty good, at least as far as the speed levels go. The were-hog levels were generic but tolerable; though I can understand why most people didn't like them. They didn't really belong in a sonic game.
the few speed levels i was able to play before the need of coins to unlock other parts of the game arose were very awesome. the first boss fight reminded me of my younger days on the dreamcast. it just makes the game that much worse when there are really really good parts of the game drowning in nonsense.

all they had to do is cut out the werehog levels and chip, add some more speed levels, and this game would have been great. the werehog levels were only meant as filler to make the game longer.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Heart of Darkness said:
Solid work.

It's a shame this game's script was so lacklustre, or else it might've been a good game. It also could've been better if Chip didn't exist. Ever.
What is it with people and hating Chip anyways? BTW what did you expect from a Sonic game, Shakespearean level writing? At least it's not like SEGA's previous attempts at making Sonic serious. ::coughSonic'06cough::

all they had to do is cut out the werehog levels and chip, add some more speed levels, and this game would have been great. the werehog levels were only meant as filler to make the game longer.
Yes because playing as the rest of the cast in Sonic Adventure 1 CLEARLY wasn't filler at all, was it? Seriously, I wish people would shut up about the Werehog's beat'em up levels. Especially when it's no different from the genre switching in the two Adventure games and most people I know loved those to death.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Solid work.

What is it with people and hating Chip anyways? BTW what did you expect from a Sonic game, Shakespearean level writing? At least it's not like SEGA's previous attempts at making Sonic serious. ::coughSonic'06cough::
Yahtzee summarizes how I feel about Chip. "He's like Navi with a cheese grater strapped to her face."

And it's not so much the script as it is the voice acting. Bad script with good acting? Okay, I'll buy it. Bad script with bad acting? No thanks.

This is why me, and I assume others, hate Chip--he's annoying, shrill, and just a plain nuisance who doesn't leave you the f*ck alone. He's also a bit...disturbing. I mean, how else can you pull a chocolate bar out from behind you when you have no means of storage on your person? Your invisible bag of holding?

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Heart of Darkness said:
Yahtzee summarizes how I feel about Chip. "He's like Navi with a cheese grater strapped to her face."
Oh please, Sonic has had much more annoying characters join him in the past that deserve that description. Big the Cat, Rouge, Silver, that raccoon from Sonic Rush Adventure, Omochao, Cream the Rabbit, have I mentioned enough of them by now?

At least Chip has his moments in the final boss battle, what with the giant golem he uses.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Oh please, Sonic has had much more annoying characters join him in the past that deserve that description. Big the Cat, Rouge, Silver, that raccoon from Sonic Rush Adventure, Omochao, Cream the Rabbit, have I mentioned enough of them by now?

At least Chip has his moments in the final boss battle, what with the giant golem he uses.
Strawman, meet fire.

This isn't a discussion over who the most annoying Sonic character is. I gave my reasons for why I don't like Chip. Please respect my opinion and just leave it at that.

TJF588

Jan 29, 2009
"Where's the Gaia Manuscripts, Egg-man?!"
"They're right behind you, stop yelling."

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Loved this episode. As a somewhat actual fan of the Sonic franchise, it was funny.

When you made that Doctor Wily reference, I can't help but to compare the Sonic the Hedgehog series to the orginal Mega Man series. They both have the follwing...

Bald evil genius with a big mustache and a thing for robotics: Dr Wily - Dr Eggman
Blue hero who fights the main villian: Megaman - Sonic the Hedgehog
Sidekick with the ability to fly to help hero get to hard to reach places: Rush - Tails
Red rival who starts out as an opponent but becomes a friend: Protoman - Knuckles
Annoying girl companion: Roll - Amy Rose
Rival anti-hero/bad guy doppleganger: Bass - Shadow the Hedgehog
Another flying friend: Beat - Cream the Rabbit
Another friend who's a little big: Auto - Big the Cat
Opponent with boobs: Splash Woman - Rouge the Bat

After reading some of the posts on this topic, many people have been pointing out that the Sonic the Hedgehog games are ripping off Star Wars with the space fleets. I think they ripped off Star Wars earlier than that when they had the whole Death Egg thing back on the old genesis games. Don't know if it could destroy a planet, but it was a rip off of the Death Star.

Also loved the "Deploy the giant tampon applicator" and "Robotnik's one hot pocket is sooooo cooked after this" jokes.

Last but not least, yeah, Dr Robotnik is a better name than Dr Eggman.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
Ye there definitely ripping each other off 1 way or another like Sonic unleashed - Star wars : Force unleashed it's pretty clear.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
himemiya1650 said:
Eggman land... needs a better name
I liked it when in Sonic Adventure Robotnik was still called Eggman and Robotnik said he would build Robotnik Land The Ultimate City. Now that's a better name!

Is there gonna be a Sonic Unskippable theme following up with Sonic and the Black Knight and/or Sonic and The Secret Rings?

Overall, this is the best since Gae Bolg which should be the next badge for watching the next certain amount of Unskippable episodes.

Morayman

Oct 3, 2007
'"I'M GONNA KILL PRAXIS!"..wait, wrong tortured cartoon.. hero.'

loved this Unskippable

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Father Time said:

Did any of the Crash Bandicoot games even have intro sequences? I kinda got out of the series after the second or third one (I forget which), but I don't remember them having anything that you could really do an Unskippable with.
I do remember them having ones for the PS1 games but those were pretty short,

If they don't mind a cutscene that's only about 3 minutes I think there's material from this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3NjbTm_aBM&feature=related

It has the bonus of being the best of the PS1 crash games and if that doesn't work I betcha the PS2 cutscenes will be longer.

darian Nenith

Nov 18, 2009
-BloodRush- said:
Like I said, I really didn't mind the were-hog levels. the fight sequences were pretty bad, but as long as you just busted through them quickly you could be done with most of the levels in five to six minutes, and they worked decently in a free flowing platformer sort of way. Sure they were mostly filler, but they had some genuinely fun moments. And, you know, the jazz music in the background was a pretty nice change.

The fight sequences, on the other hand, are another story. There wasn't really anything redeemable about them, and they were a genuinely bad experience.

A couple more speed levels would have been nice, but I thought the game was good enough as it was. Hell, I'm still trying to speed run a few of the day levels, and that's not something I can say about most games.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Dug the Spirits Within and Power Rangers references.

BrotherhoodOfSteel said:

Blue streak speeds by, Sonic the Hedgehog
Too fast for the naked eye, Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic, he can really move
Sonic, he's got an attitude
Sonic, he is the fastest thing alive

Look out when he storms through, Sonic the Hedgehog
Don't doubt what he can do, Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic, he can really move
Sonic, he's got an attitude
Sonic, he is the fastest thing alive
He is the fastest thing alive
He is the fastest thing alive

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
"I thought we sealed that movie in the Earth's core forever!?"
best line of this video made me lol big time.

LuisEz

Jan 28, 2009
you have to admit that was cool see eggman do something really bad for the very first time! and the mustache! so detailed!!!

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
RE: Eggman vs Robotnik

Damn, F'ing, straight. I cannot understand WHY they felt the need to change his name. It will always be Robotnik to me!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Robotnik won and a bad game was never done.

It's hhow it should have happened.

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
He can fix it, he just needs to run West fast enough and long enough and he can turn back TiiIiiMmmMeEeEE~

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
I loved the song
"Blue streak
AS he speeds by
Sonic, The Hedgehog."
And "Werewolf,Werehog?Hogwolf?,Hogwere? Werewere? that is the best

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
Ezechiehl said:
Someone else hates that they renamed Robotnik to Eggman.

I feel vindicated.
Didn't they retcon it so that he's now called Robotnik and Eggman is a nickname? Not really been keeping up with Sonic since the '90s (speaking of which, also liked the SatAM reference) but I'm sure I read that somewhere.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
The only good thing I can say about that cutscene is that it inspired this hilarious video.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
"Dr.Robonik's 1 hotpocket is going to be so cooked after this"

Awesome quote I gotta remember that one

Tarrker

Jun 18, 2008
I know that this video is two years old right now and that someone has probably already made a similar comment within the already existing 190 comments at the time of this post . . .

BUT! I have SO always wanted to see a game where Dr. Robotnic and Dr. Wiley teamed up against Megan and Sonic. Wrap your brain around THAT multiplayer scenario :p

mizushinzui

Apr 12, 2010
Seriously two best parts of this entire episode?

1. When they start singing the theme tune to sonic sat am, (classic x3)
2. When they had the Robotnick/eggman fight, which is a figh I have with my friends every other day.

Classic Episode xD

szaleniec1000 said:
Ezechiehl said:
Someone else hates that they renamed Robotnik to Eggman.

I feel vindicated.
Didn't they retcon it so that he's now called Robotnik and Eggman is a nickname? Not really been keeping up with Sonic since the '90s (speaking of which, also liked the SatAM reference) but I'm sure I read that somewhere.
As far as I know what happened was that in sonic adventure on dreamcast was when they started calling him eggman, but as an insult instead of a real name. But then since that game they kind of decided to keep it, not sure why.

It could have been like you say but i havn't really payed the sonic franchise much attention since it started going down hill.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
This is the only other Unskippable episode I've seen, next to the one where Yahtzee cameos. From now on, I'm going to watch ever episode you make!

Oliver Pink

Apr 3, 2010
Okay -

You just dissed the name Eggman, and proclaimed that Robotnik is the only true name for the villainous fat-man...

*Gets down on one knee* Will you marry me?