Unskippable: Sonic Unleashed

Destroy Gundam

Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the whole Eggman/Robotnik thing. They called him Robotnik originally, and I never quite understood why they changed it. That said, I liked this one.

Even though the laws of physics were thoroughly defied.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
It's really hard to make fun of a cinematic that's already so completely stupid and yet falls into that hole that surrounds "existing properties". If any new game series tried something this cracky it would be laughed out of existence.

As for the Eggman/Robotnik thing. It's because in Japan the villain of the game was called "Dr. Eggman" originally. Sega of America thought that this sounded rather stupid to audiences that speak English fluently so they changed it to "Robotnik". For some reason Sega decided with Sonic Adventure 2 to use the Japanese name for the character in all future games.

Sorry for the wall of text. The only reason I caught on to this is that I play the games with the Japanese voice track because the voice acting is slightly less annoying (except when Sonic attempts to speak in English, because apparently saying a few inane things in broken English is cool in Japan).

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
tampon applicator was funny lol
I am curious about what happened to sonic tho... I mean does that only happen when he's exposed to the full moon?

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
its was ok heard way better from your other ones but still a good job with bringing back sonics old shows intro song

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
ahlycks said:
GrahamS said:
ahlycks said:
Must be running out of games.
Not even close.
Wow! The creater replied to me! I love your stuff. But why do this game?
Why not?
No one tells us what games to do, so we do whatever we like and our only real criteria is if we can make it funny.

And this particular intro is ridiculous.

Glad you like it!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Hahaha, oh man, I thought I'd never stop laughing at the "going to the same mechanic as Dr. Wily" bit, and "I'm gonna kill Praxis!" Fantastic job as always!

Also, I agree with Paul. It's Robotnik. Forget that Eggman trash.

Screw_it

Jan 21, 2010
Remember when Sonic was awesome... and wasn't furry drama? or whatever the hell that reboot is?

I miss the Genesis.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
somekindarobot said:
GrahamS said:
Evil robots are no match for a cartoon rodent that can run fast.
C'mon, guys. Hedgehogs are insectivores, not rodents.

SCIENCE NAZI, AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I call that and raise by Erinaceomorpha [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinaceomorpha]. Hedgehogs aren't Insectivores, not anymore. Actually Insectivora doesn't exist as an order anymore. It was just a wastebasket of difficult-to-classify insect-eating animals.

I think it was early 20th century that Hedgehogs where moved out of Insectivora (Wikipedia says 1910, but I'm not too sure about that), but lots of textbooks have continued to use the old (defunct, polyphyletic) classifications.

/scinazi mode off

Great episode! Somehow that cinematic has me thinking of a bastard mutant child of Carebears and Warhammer 40k. Or something.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
It was funny to see robotnik pulling a Dr. Wiley. And just like Megaman, Sonic fell for it like an idiot. I'm not saying you have to kill them, just shoot/break their legs. Considering all the crap they've pulled broken legs is getting off easy imo.

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
Im sorry im sure this game is just as bad as that sonic Knight game on the Wii but that looked so gawddamn epic! With that video alone at least makes me want to give it a chance..

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
See, this is precisely what's wrong with Sonic games today. Sega seriously needs to go back to the first Sonic game and then compare it to this movie. They're seriously just trying way too hard to make everything look extreme, but when you go back to the original games they didn't have any of that bullshit.

But anyway, nice episode. I particularly liked the parallel you found between how this game and Jak 2 both had the main character being tortured until they turn into a monster version of themselves. I suppose part of me is curious to see how Sonic manages to stitch Earth back together, but at the same time it's such an absurd intro movie that I can only imagine how much worse it gets as the game goes on.

Edit:
inpachi said:
Im sorry im sure this game is just as bad as that sonic Knight game on the Wii but that looked so gawddamn epic! With that video alone at least makes me want to give it a chance..
I find it ironic that I see this posted right after I made my post saying that the intro movie is an exact example of what's wrong with Sonic. ;)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Father Time said:
So are guys going to do an unskippable of a crash game or not?

I loved those games as a kid, back on the PS1.
Did any of the Crash Bandicoot games even have intro sequences? I kinda got out of the series after the second or third one (I forget which), but I don't remember them having anything that you could really do an Unskippable with.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
You think Robotnik is evil but all he really wants is own theme park. If Sonic Team actually change his name back to Robotnik then that will almost make up for all the shit they've been pumping out lately.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
What a cheesy cinematic, but, it lends itself to humor and a great unskippable episode.

Btw i liked The Spirits Within, but i was 15 at the time...

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
Okay, here's how to have some fun:
Open another tab; go to Youtube, type in "Sonic SAT AM intro"; click on the first choice; then pause the Unskippable video of Sonic Unleashed at 1:26; then play start the intro on Youtube in the other tab; make sure the Unskippable video is on mute; and sit back and enjoy a make-shift AMV. Shalom. ;)

Y'know maybe if Sega put more effort into the gameplay & story I wouldn't have been wowed by that cut scene. To be honest that's one of the better cut scenes I've seen in a few years. It almost tricks you into thinking, "Alright, finally a Sonic game that's gonna kick ass!" Still the game blows donkey's.

We still have Sonic 4 to hope for at least. Keep that in your prayers, children.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
That really does look like a tampon applicator. Its nice to see someone else remembers the '90's Sonic, and when the hell did he start going by 'Eggman'? How is he associated with eggs? Does he make robot eggs? I'm glad I jumped the Sonic ship at "3-D Blast".